Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Another fun but serious topic.
I used to carry a 20' rifle sighted barreled 870 for in the bush doing geotech work. Never had to duel it out with a bear so I cannt tell you what would be better. I used slugs as the sights i had I believed would allow for better placement. from what I read here it seems to be the go to round.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorse Cowboy View Post
Another fun but serious topic.
I used to carry a 20' rifle sighted barreled 870 for in the bush doing geotech work. Never had to duel it out with a bear so I cannt tell you what would be better. I used slugs as the sights i had I believed would allow for better placement. from what I read here it seems to be the go to round.
I use the same as a surveyor, why fix what has been proven to work, I just prefer the benelli to the 870, I’ve had bad experience with Remington products in general.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I am asking this question because I own a 20 gauge shotgun and no "real" rifles.

Experts on this forum, and others, recommend .44 Remington Magnum pistols for bear defence as well as .45/70 in rifles. Three inch sabots from a 20 gauge far exceed .44 Magnum ballistics and come close to .45/70 energy figures at close range.

I am going camping in bear country but am not actively seeking an encounter. Would it not be reasonable to take my 20 gauge for bear emergencies?

If not, why not, given the ballistics mentioned above?

I have found a .357 Magnum carbine to be useful at short ranges for deer. This does not match the opinions given on a number of forums but I used it anyway. That leads me to my question. I'm wondering if any of you have used a 20 gauge sabot on anything bigger than a whitetail.

I realize that I should go out and buy, at least, a 12 gauge shotgun. However, that's not in the budget if I want to have the money to go on the trips. If it makes any difference, I will have bear spray.

Thanks for any informed opinions. I appreciate your taking the time.

A face full of #3 buckshot or even #4 birdshot from a 20 gauge at close range will make any bear wish he never saw you.
Although, the 20 gauge not being ideal for bear, it is far better than bear spray or a fast pair of sneakers.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Why do almost all professionals in the industry and wildlife officers recommend straight slugs?
Because they actually know a bit about what they are doing,,,,,,
Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 PM

For what it's worth, any bear shot in self defence had best be done under 20 yds. Probably not self defence if it's any further.. so I've heard anyway.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Another Bear Defense thread. Always very popular.

Grizz
Lol

Bear spray for the win
Old 01-25-2019, 01:22 AM

I don't know if any one else has mentioned the federal flight control loads. I carry them for bear protection. The shot stays together and acts like a slug at close range but spreads at longer (for a shotgun) range. I use a 12g not sure of 20g load availability. They pattern nice at the range to

Sent from my G3123 using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinwoodsman View Post
I don't know if any one else has mentioned the federal flight control loads. I carry them for bear protection. The shot stays together and acts like a slug at close range but spreads at longer (for a shotgun) range. I use a 12g not sure of 20g load availability. They pattern nice at the range to

Sent from my G3123 using Tapatalk
Federal Vital shock #00 buck one of my favorite loads at the moment
Old 03-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Default Bear Spray

Weight issues? Do you find the rig to heavy, what do you think is the lightest Shotgun rig for such an application?
Old 03-07-2019, 02:30 PM

I run bear courses for various groups working around the North. Practice is the essential item, under various circumstances, .........gotta get the first aimed shot off in 7 seconds and keep firing. I prefer Remington Low Recoil since everything will be at close range, 50 feet or under, and don't want anyone afraid of their gun. 6-7" groups or you don't go in the field, a "circumstance" has to be automatic, .....no "thinking". We go thru 7000 to 9000 slugs per season. 'nuff said!
Nobody has gotten hurt yet with grizz or polar bears!