Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I will stick with one piece cleaning rods, bore guides, and cotton patches. That is what the benchrest shooters use, so that is good enough for me.
I guess that's always an option. Thanks
Old 01-23-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
The individual referenced by Coil is very experienced and well known in LR shooting circles in the US. Definitley not just some Joe Blow off the internet.
To accept at face value I would need to accept that an uncleaned factory Tikka barrel with over 8000 rounds would (still) shoot in the low 4’s ... perhaps that could happen ...assuming the throat was still good... and the barrel was a hummer ...and...and..and. Thing is, even if all those planets aligned for this one particular bore, I wouldn’t toss my jag and Sweets 7.62.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:36 PM

Sweets? Do they still make that stuff?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-23-2019, 08:56 PM

I clean my rifle even if i fired one or 40 rounds after target shooting. I just dont like to store my rifle with dry barrel. Rifle i have sako A7, .270win and i use only winchester expedition long range accubond 150gr ammo, rounds counts at 340, accuracy is amazing because not even used enough. I don't do heavy cleaning but i dont put it away dirty either, I enjoy spending time detailing my rifle... some people out there never cleans after they sight their rifle, some does clean like a crazy... use it learn it and go from there...
Old 01-23-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Sweets? Do they still make that stuff?
Yes they do. I still have some , as well as CR-10, and KG-12. I spend two hours getting the copper out of a barrel today, one of the worst copper fouled barrels, I have seen.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Yes they do. I still have some , as well as CR-10, and KG-12. I spend two hours getting the copper out of a barrel today, one of the worst copper fouled barrels, I have seen.
X2 on the KG12...I'm curious- did you run into alternating bands of carbon fouling too? I know of a rifle that had a number of seperate carbon and copper layers that had to be removed to get down to bare metal.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcousin View Post
X2 on the KG12...I'm curious- did you run into alternating bands of carbon fouling too? I know of a rifle that had a number of seperate carbon and copper layers that had to be removed to get down to bare metal.
I believe I ran into something along these lines cleaning a rifle for my cousin about a month ago. Total there was 10 rounds of Wipe Out. Kroil with brushes, mops and patches. Kroil and JB’s on patches. 86 patches before I saw a legitimately clean one. It was crazy but the patches told the tale. Get the copper to clean up. Go after the carbon until it cleaned up. Wipe Out again. More copper(dark dark blue) and so on and so on. Seemed to be no end but finally got there.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:32 PM
Banned

I have had good luck with wipeouts cousin carbon out. I have the combination kg product and not sure if it’s as effective as splitting them up and cleaning for carbon then for copper
Old 01-23-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I have had good luck with wipeouts cousin carbon out. I have the combination kg product and not sure if it’s as effective as splitting them up and cleaning for carbon then for copper
I just got some of the new stuff ..Patch Out" made by the Wipe Out crowd as well. It's a liquid formula and worked really well on a couple of older guns that were quite badly fouled. I'm sold on the Wipe Out products after using about everything out there.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:17 AM

If I am out just horsing around I use to clean ever second outing depending on how much I shoot on my bigger rifles,not a big fan off hundreds of rounds per day unless my 223 or things like that and if I see they are going off I clean them.

Mu hunting rifle I clean only if my poi changes on my cold bore shot,unless I am breaking in a new hunting rifle or trying out new loads I clean it well.

Once I find the proper load and it's shooing the way I want,no cleaning,i try every few days a cold bore shot and if it's all is good then why change anything,once my hunts use to be over I would take everything apart and clean it all up,that way no bad surprises in the spring.

8000 rounds without cleaning i could see a 22lr,but in 308 and depending on the powder I still believe in the lock ness monster.For one why would do this unless tikka paid you to prove something or your very lazy.What would it hurt if you just gave it one cleaning at 4000 I am sure your not over stressing your body,or if there's enough crap in the barrel it won't wear out,but there would have to be a bit of copper in that throat.The 5500 can stuff that has the clean burning stuff in it,5000 rounds of that you would look like pig pen from charlie brown.That may well be Charlie Brown looking for lung transplant.

Then you can fire these rounds by tuff that cleans out your barrel in 3 stages,maybe I am getting warmer.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I just got some of the new stuff ..Patch Out" made by the Wipe Out crowd as well. It's a liquid formula and worked really well on a couple of older guns that were quite badly fouled. I'm sold on the Wipe Out products after using about everything out there.
I use the patch in patch out by wipe out,still have a few cans of the foam,but I prefer the patch in patch out with no copper or bronze brushes.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:28 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
delete please
Old 01-24-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcousin View Post
For carbon, I find Butch's Bore Shine, is all that I need
Old 01-24-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
If you were the manufacturer of boresnakes what would you tell anyone that asked?
This kind of wisdom can only come with age

Buddy picked up an old .06 for hunting fellas, he is not competing at 1000 yards. What do you mean by “I plan to shoot it a fair amount”?
You’ve got a pencil barrel.06 in a fairly light rig there.
Clean it, sight it in, go hunting.
Repeat next year.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Shooting Xs

I use Bore Guides ,Dewey coated rods ,with Wipeout Patchout for Copper if needed ,M-Pro7 cleaner for carbon and powder fouling,Permatex Synthetic grease on the lug faces,Sinclair woven tweed cotton patches.
Rifles get cleaned and oiled for storage for Fall/Winter.
Target rifles,2 BR's for VFS,don't even think about it for 150-200 rounds during season and then it's only a light cleaning for carbon/powder,both hand lapped barrels that don't foul much anyway.
.22 Rimfire barrels rarely,.204 Ruger barrel about every 100-125 rounds or when it shoots over half minute of Gopher.It likes a little Copper.
Now the action,bolt head and chamber's get cleaned regularly,I like to use an AR-15 bronze chamber brush wrapped with a patch with cleaner ,I screw it onto a section of a 3 pc. cleaning rod[only thing they're good for] with a fixed handle and spin to clean lug, chamber and throat area of my bolt guns.
Lightly grease the rear face's of the bolt lugs so they lube receiver lugs in turn to prevent galling,a couple other minor things but that's the gist of it.
Here's Bartlein barrel's take on the subject of break in and cleaning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6SF-jlbkg
Old 01-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Wink Cleaning bores ??

Well its a subject that curses most shooters. !! I used to be anal about cleaning after each range season 20-50 rnds. !! Just last yr. I spoke with a match shooter from B.C. and he doesn't clean for 1m-1300 rnds and still wins competitions ??? Don't know all the details of cal. or powder charges, but over cleaning can damage more than good. Wait for your rifle to tell you what/when its going astray and throwing bullets. Why do you think guy's like Ron Smith says >>Just shoot-it !! Take it for what it is worth. JMO. !! but as I get older/smarter I hope, its makes sense that unless there is corrosion why clean too often, specially with a premium barrel. !! KK-out-fit.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapustacrk View Post
Well its a subject that curses most shooters. !! I used to be anal about cleaning after each range season 20-50 rnds. !! Just last yr. I spoke with a match shooter from B.C. and he doesn't clean for 1m-1300 rnds and still wins competitions ??? Don't know all the details of cal. or powder charges, but over cleaning can damage more than good. Wait for your rifle to tell you what/when its going astray and throwing bullets. Why do you think guy's like Ron Smith says >>Just shoot-it !! Take it for what it is worth. JMO. !! but as I get older/smarter I hope, its makes sense that unless there is corrosion why clean too often, specially with a premium barrel. !! KK-out-fit.
Same I clean my varmint guns when they start to lose accuracy..not before.

Hunting rifles that may see a couple hundred rounds a year why bother unless you feel you have to protect the bore in storage. I use to use wipe out and others but found they can leave a gummy varnish like residue if your not careful switched to Ballistol I like it much better.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.