Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 11:36 AM

Default Lots of Water closed for the Year!

Parks Canada is closing all bodies of water in British Columbia's Kootenay and Yoho national parks, and restricting watercraft in Alberta's Waterton Lakes National Park in an effort to slow the spread of invasive species.

The lakes, creeks and tributaries in eastern British Columbia will be closed until at least March next year in response to the deadly whirling disease parasite found in fish.

At the same time, non-motorized watercraft from outside park boundaries will not be allowed into Waterton Lakes National Park in southern Alberta starting April 1, to protect against both whirling disease and invasive zebra and quagga mussels.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...7a8fe1f0&ei=41
Old 03-20-2024, 11:59 AM

With the reason being used for this closure don’t expect the closure to lift after a year
Old 03-20-2024, 12:02 PM

Default Lake Closure

The lakes will be closed for you and I.

Just like hunting in Jasper National Park, first nations will be exempt.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post

Treaties and the fact they want take it lying down will likely do that

Agree with their hunting/fishing rights or not you have to respect that FN at least stand up for themselves

If non FN anglers/hunters actually got organized and defended our ability to hunt/fish with half the effort FN do maybe we would not get walked on so easily
Old 03-20-2024, 01:53 PM

Default To the parks admin....

....WE are the invasive species.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:50 PM

All of the high country lakes and streams in Waterton Park were stocked with invasive species decades ago such as Brook Trout and Rainbow Trout. Very familiar with streams in and around the Blood Indian Timber Limits, will the closure be applied to the Belly River system. Sounds like the licensed population of anglers are the invasive species, fished this area for generations and my Grand Children will never have the opportunity to fish for Brookies in the beaver dams and Rainbows in the Belly. Sickening.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:48 PM

Looks like there is going to be licensed boats to rent in some parks for people but still no fishing
Old 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
....WE are the invasive species.
100%

It’s their goal to shut down fishing in the parks regardless of “whirling disease” for the average Joe. Wonder what outfitters have to say…. politically motivated. Shutting down waters for a year is dishonest. What, so next year it’s ok all of a sudden? Give me a break, they’re testing public outcry on a permanent closure. Pretty big overreach, seems to be the lieberal modus-operandi.

Last edited by I’d rather be outdoors; 03-20-2024 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:31 AM

Would not be surprised if these restrictions are tied into Y2Y Preservationists shut it all down nonsense. This will add further pressure to existing popular fishing and boating waters outside the National Parks. Could see further restrictions on Provincial waters too.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post

Old 03-21-2024, 02:26 PM

You can’t pick berries or mushrooms, can’t take home a shed antler or an interesting rock from any national park. I’m very surprised you can still fish in ANY national park!
Old 03-21-2024, 02:58 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought whirling disease transmission has been linked to water fowl transferring it between water bodies.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-21-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
You can’t pick berries or mushrooms, can’t take home a shed antler or an interesting rock from any national park. I’m very surprised you can still fish in ANY national park!
I'm still surprised they let us Dive in Waterton and Minnewanka. There's a couple lakes in Jasper that allow it too still.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
Would not be surprised if these restrictions are tied into Y2Y Preservationists shut it all down nonsense. This will add further pressure to existing popular fishing and boating waters outside the National Parks. Could see further restrictions on Provincial waters too.
Guaranteed Y2Y influence. Provincial is still under our control unless dippers manage to win any future elections. If so, kiss it goodbye.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:58 PM

No rules saying you cannot swim or wade in rivers or creeks but if your caught fishin, it could be a $25000 fine. Bunch of nonsense.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:50 PM

Quote:
No rules saying you cannot swim or wade in rivers or creeks but if your caught fishin, it could be a $25000 fine. Bunch of nonsense.
I better have a feather in my pocket than when I’m out
Old 03-21-2024, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
100%

It’s their goal to shut down fishing in the parks regardless of “whirling disease” for the average Joe. Wonder what outfitters have to say…. politically motivated. Shutting down waters for a year is dishonest. What, so next year it’s ok all of a sudden? Give me a break, they’re testing public outcry on a permanent closure. Pretty big overreach, seems to be the lieberal modus-operandi.
You nailed it.. there has been a behind the scenes movement for years to shut down fishing in national parks. Waterton has been a test balloon for years. First they shut down the Maskinage area , then closed motor boats without 90 day quarantine, now no more canoes and Kayaks, and now no more river fishing. Step by step they have shut it down with bogus claims. This will be the norm for all national parks soon.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
You can’t pick berries or mushrooms, can’t take home a shed antler or an interesting rock from any national park.
And you can't do them in French and English.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
You nailed it.. there has been a behind the scenes movement for years to shut down fishing in national parks. Waterton has been a test balloon for years. First they shut down the Maskinage area , then closed motor boats without 90 day quarantine, now no more canoes and Kayaks, and now no more river fishing. Step by step they have shut it down with bogus claims. This will be the norm for all national parks soon.
It’s just not even defendable, fishermen are being used as a scapegoat/boogeyman. Does waterfowl not move between waterbodies? Are we going to ban migration now too? What else would we expect from the lieberals though… this has Y2Y written all over it.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
It’s just not even defendable, fishermen are being used as a scapegoat/boogeyman. Does waterfowl not move between waterbodies? Are we going to ban migration now too? What else would we expect from the lieberals though… this has Y2Y written all over it.
I believe you are correct.
Sadly, most people seem to comply without question if you add the word 'Health' to the restriction.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:31 AM

Are these type fishing and boating Restrictions happening in Federal Parks in Eastern Canada?
Old 04-06-2024, 10:57 PM

it is a precaution stemming from Whirling Disease. They are trying to decrease the chance of people moving it around between waterbodies.
Probably some concern about mussles being brought in on boats to lakes as well.

With people finding ways to sneak around boat checks as it is, I'm not sure how we can stop the spread.

Whirling disease and zebra mussels do bring consequences with them.

There also is the risk of birds moving these things around. I guess time will tell what the fallout will be
Old 04-24-2024, 11:59 AM

Will they allow outside boats into Elk island park ?
Old 04-24-2024, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Are these type fishing and boating Restrictions happening in Federal Parks in Eastern Canada?
Don’t need to. With all the raw sewage they pump into waterways, there’s no fish left. Well, none that anyone wants to eat anyway.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
it is a precaution stemming from Whirling Disease. They are trying to decrease the chance of people moving it around between waterbodies.
Probably some concern about mussles being brought in on boats to lakes as well.

With people finding ways to sneak around boat checks as it is, I'm not sure how we can stop the spread.

Whirling disease and zebra mussels do bring consequences with them.

There also is the risk of birds moving these things around. I guess time will tell what the fallout will be
Also just tourists that walk the banks of rivers and lakes and hop around.