Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2018, 03:15 PM

I think people are addicted to shopping and its obvious that nowadays the wants over exceed the actual needs. My Grandfather would have turned 105 this past New Years Day. He homesteaded a farm and trapline back in the day near Muriel Lake (Holyoke) not far from Bonnyville. On his gravestone it proclaims "It was a wonderful life" He got by with a .22, 12 gauge and a .30-06 Andy's Sporting Goods was the only store in town and life was good. I see people on here absolutely fanatic about always purchasing things. There are still lots of options with Wholesale gone. You will all live.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:20 PM

People expect sales people to have the best service / knowledge, but also expect the best prices. It's hard to get the best people to work for low wages. If you want good sales people, you need to pay for the service through wages, which isn't going to result in low prices to the consumer. Bottom line is that consumer's expectations are often not realistic. I suspect that we'll see that the sales aren't quite as good as they used to be because of one less competitor.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 PM

Default on and on we go

Once upon a time there was a store called Wholesale sports that came to town and all the peasants were pleased , finally those greedy high priced independents would be forced into submission and sharpen their pencils. All the hunters would enjoy low low prices on top name brands(chinese everything). Alas as it turned out WSS was similar to the greedy independents with similar pricing minus the service.
If only there were some competition .We all despise WSS, imagine how wonderful and fulfilled our outdoor lives would be if we had a Cabelas!! Soon it was written , Cabelas came to save our souls from the evil WSS . But wait it get's better Bass Pro came along as well , it was a veritable utopia for outdoorsmen. Praise be !
Soon it was discovered that WSS was sold to UFA and understandably became badly managed.The community banded together in it's condemnation of this unholy alliance and banished WSS ,driving it into liquidation. we picked over the bones and bought every item at meager discounts , dutifully complaining it still wasn't enough, all along the way. They are history now and that is a blessed thing for they sinned against the sportsman by demanding a profit an nearly everything they sold.
Alas it would appear that Cabelas has formed an alliance with the evil Bass pro and is conspiring against the sportsman as well by demanding profits from their stores as well . This shall not stand, rise up sportsmen!! rise up and we shall drive them from the city ! For it is written what shall it profit a mega store if they don't discount their goods to the maximum percentage. We the sportmen , NEED more stuff we need 50 different styles of camo and we need it at dollar store prices.
Hey... maybe Canadian tire will save us from this evil Cabelas/Bass pro profiteering megamart.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:43 PM

I want to use that as my sig line Pete! Lol!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-03-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Once upon a time there was a store called Wholesale sports that came to town and all the peasants were pleased , finally those greedy high priced independents would be forced into submission and sharpen their pencils. All the hunters would enjoy low low prices on top name brands(chinese everything). Alas as it turned out WSS was similar to the greedy independents with similar pricing minus the service.
If only there were some competition .We all despise WSS, imagine how wonderful and fulfilled our outdoor lives would be if we had a Cabelas!! Soon it was written , Cabelas came to save our souls from the evil WSS . But wait it get's better Bass Pro came along as well , it was a veritable utopia for outdoorsmen. Praise be !
Soon it was discovered that WSS was sold to UFA and understandably became badly managed.The community banded together in it's condemnation of this unholy alliance and banished WSS ,driving it into liquidation. we picked over the bones and bought every item at meager discounts , dutifully complaining it still wasn't enough, all along the way. They are history now and that is a blessed thing for they sinned against the sportsman by demanding a profit an nearly everything they sold.
Alas it would appear that Cabelas has formed an alliance with the evil Bass pro and is conspiring against the sportsman as well by demanding profits from their stores as well . This shall not stand, rise up sportsmen!! rise up and we shall drive them from the city ! For it is written what shall it profit a mega store if they don't discount their goods to the maximum percentage. We the sportmen , NEED more stuff we need 50 different styles of camo and we need it at dollar store prices.
Hey... maybe Canadian tire will save us from this evil Cabelas/Bass pro profiteering megamart.
Bingo.....
Old 01-03-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I want to use that as my sig line Pete! Lol!!
all yours
Old 01-03-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
all yours
For a minute I thought you were leaking the next script for a Star Wars movie lol.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
So far so good.

When I can, I support the small shops.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
People expect sales people to have the best service / knowledge, but also expect the best prices. It's hard to get the best people to work for low wages. If you want good sales people, you need to pay for the service through wages, which isn't going to result in low prices to the consumer. Bottom line is that consumer's expectations are often not realistic. I suspect that we'll see that the sales aren't quite as good as they used to be because of one less competitor.
Yeah, this I don't get. We have a lot of people here in the energy sector, or the trades...I wonder how many of them would like to go out on a job and then have the customer/client say...hey I can get the same service for $14/hr down the way...you gotta match that.
I've been in the photographic/optics business for years. The average salesperson at a well stocked independent store needs to know the specs of, and how approximately 60 cameras work. I'll guaranteed the many here who own good point and shoot or DSLR's never get to know how 80% of the cameras features work because it is beyond then...really, how many of you know what the HDR feature of your camera is and how it works....or image stacking?
But you expect the 'lowly' salesperson to.
Same with any product sold, including sporting goods. You are not going to keep qualified people who are willing to invest the time learning all their product (they are often expected to do this on their own time) and pay them minimum wage.
Again, am amazed at how many expect WalMart prices AND exemplary service.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:47 PM

Default expecting minimum wage knowledge

In the day and age of the internet with online reviews and forums, the onus is on us as consumers to know what we are buying. I don't expect the retail folks to be able to help me beyond pointing me to where I can find the product on the shelf. If they can help me with that then I am fine. Things go easier when you prepare yourself.

When people are paid a professional wage, I will expect professional knowledge. Until then, I will try to be kind when in a retail store.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
In the day and age of the internet with online reviews and forums, the onus is on us as consumers to know what we are buying. I don't expect the retail folks to be able to help me beyond pointing me to where I can find the product on the shelf. If they can help me with that then I am fine. Things go easier when you prepare yourself.

When people are paid a professional wage, I will expect professional knowledge. Until then, I will try to be kind when in a retail store.
Fair enough. Tough though when the person with a wealth of knowledge (because he's retired and doing this for "fun") and the kid with the vacant stare playing on twitter, are paid the same. Yes, I know there are some good people in between, so I don't want to stereotype.

I really do hope the age of getting real advice from a real person isn't over.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:48 PM

I really do hope the age of getting real advice from a real person isn't over.[/QUOTE]

Ultimately the consumer will determine this outcome, and I think you are in for disappointment. There will still be the whining and complaining regardless so the retailers can’t be blamed for taking the no service here’s your price strategy.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
Ultimately the consumer will determine this outcome, and I think you are in for disappointment. There will still be the whining and complaining regardless so the retailers can’t be blamed for taking the no service here’s your price strategy.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Yeah, this I don't get. We have a lot of people here in the energy sector, or the trades...I wonder how many of them would like to go out on a job and then have the customer/client say...hey I can get the same service for $14/hr down the way...you gotta match that.
I've been in the photographic/optics business for years. The average salesperson at a well stocked independent store needs to know the specs of, and how approximately 60 cameras work. I'll guaranteed the many here who own good point and shoot or DSLR's never get to know how 80% of the cameras features work because it is beyond then...really, how many of you know what the HDR feature of your camera is and how it works....or image stacking?
But you expect the 'lowly' salesperson to.
Same with any product sold, including sporting goods. You are not going to keep qualified people who are willing to invest the time learning all their product (they are often expected to do this on their own time) and pay them minimum wage.
Again, am amazed at how many expect WalMart prices AND exemplary service.
I’m not amazed, you see it all the time. The challenge is the average person thinks that running a business is easy, and they are also under the impression that there is huge mark up on all of these products that they are purchasing. If these folks were shown a financial operating statement and some one explained sales, margins, standby/staff/other expenses and bottom line earnings of the business to them they may start to understand the retailers position.....
Old 01-03-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefish View Post
Fair enough. Tough though when the person with a wealth of knowledge (because he's retired and doing this for "fun") and the kid with the vacant stare playing on twitter, are paid the same. Yes, I know there are some good people in between, so I don't want to stereotype.

You can always get advice from a real person but you have to know who you are getting the advice from in order to know if it is worth listening too...

You either need to be desperate or a masochist to work in retail imo. Minimum wage and having to work evenings, weekends and holidays just isn't worth it. In some cases it would be more profitable for managers to pay extra wages to get and keep good knowledgeable workers but unfortunately with the way these businesses are set up the store managers hands are usually tied by upper management.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
You'll be opening up a new hunting / fishing / camping store?
Who can afford to compete with Cabelas?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:19 PM

Good review Rav and I agree. Spent almost 20 years in retail in different roles. Store manager for many years and took on a different role as a National Trainer and said I would never go back. Well guess what a local store we all kniw hired me as store manager and thought I won the lottery.
Wrong same crap different color. All the same crap even more to deal with and all the othrr things too. It should be a breeze for us older experienced and knowledgable types but it just doesnt work. If retailers want the good guys they need decent pay, decent hours and run a smooth ship she you dont get crapped on by all the customers yes even you guys though many I met I didnt know we are good friends.
Unfortunately we are not going to win and suggest working good forums where there is good teal advice and do your research. You will probably be smarter than most in the stores.

Rant over........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
You can always get advice from a real person but you have to know who you are getting the advice from in order to know if it is worth listening too...

You either need to be desperate or a masochist to work in retail imo. Minimum wage and having to work evenings, weekends and holidays just isn't worth it. In some cases it would be more profitable for managers to pay extra wages to get and keep good knowledgeable workers but unfortunately with the way these businesses are set up the store managers hands are usually tied by upper management.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

When you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-04-2018, 09:37 PM

Best thing I bought was a large box wall pegs for 5 bucks
Old 01-05-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
When you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Some of us monkeys like peanuts. It’s that attitude and the attitude of the rest of the whiners on this thread that are the problem. I’ve seen you at the gun counter, exerting your “superior” knowledge, being condescending to the staff,
and being a general pain in the ass. Doesn’t matter the store, the whiners will always be whiners.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Speak for yourself, not me!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
Some of us monkeys like peanuts. It’s that attitude and the attitude of the rest of the whiners on this thread that are the problem. I’ve seen you at the gun counter, exerting your “superior” knowledge, being condescending to the staff,
and being a general pain in the ass. Doesn’t matter the store, the whiners will always be whiners.
It definitely goes both ways. For every salesperson who is a know it all who like to exhibit their knowledge there is a customer who has read (or now internet searched) just enough to be dangerous...they think because the read something somewhere they are an expert.
The true salesperson is willing to admit he doesn't know everything and is willing to find out proper answer (or listen if it is obvious that the customer does know what he is talking about)...and be patient with the ones who are experts in their own minds.
It isn't an easy job, especially when in a highly technical field and a lot of casual customers have no idea just how valuable a competent well informed salesperson is.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
It definitely goes both ways. For every salesperson who is a know it all who like to exhibit their knowledge there is a customer who has read (or now internet searched) just enough to be dangerous...they think because the read something somewhere they are an expert.
The true salesperson is willing to admit he doesn't know everything and is willing to find out proper answer (or listen if it is obvious that the customer does know what he is talking about)...and be patient with the ones who are experts in their own minds.
It isn't an easy job, especially when in a highly technical field and a lot of casual customers have no idea just how valuable a competent well informed salesperson is.
Nail meet hammer. Couldn't have said it better. Majority of the whiners will whine about the service at any store they go to. So those I have learned to ignore and take them for what they are. Retail is a brutal industry, low wages and lots of goofy rules to follow. Hence the high turn over. So, to all the whiners and self absorbed morons, calm down and try to assist the salespeople with your huge knowledge base, it will make your trip to the gun counter much more enjoyable.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Speak for yourself, not me!
Sorry Bob,next time I write a satire/sarcasm post I will be sure to not include you in my thought process. But in my defense Bob ,I didn't see you, up in the sky there . I edited it just for you . I hope you approve.
Oh and on a side note Amazon.ca has a sense of humor on sale this week with free shipping for prime customers

If only there were some competition .We all despise WSS,Except Bobinthesky imagine how wonderful and fulfilled our outdoor lives would be if we had a Cabelas!! Soon it was written , Cabelas came to save our souls from the evil WSS . But wait it get's better Bass Pro came along as well , it was a veritable utopia for outdoorsmen. Praise be !
Old 01-05-2018, 12:59 PM

I don't know, but Profit River manages to have great customer service and great prices.
GO to a Cabelas in the States, amazing customer service.
I think the problem with the majority of the people hired don't give a crap and It has become the norm.
Terrible emplyees should be fired, and fired again and again until something changes.
Nothing will change until that happens.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:06 AM

You know, if I were a member of the UFA, I think I would be headhunting the CEO and a few others.
I also think the biggest mistake UFA committed was the disposal of Sportsman Warehouse. It gave them the ability to improve their access to goods on the lower side of the continent just the same as Cabelas and BassPro.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
You know, if I were a member of the UFA, I think I would be headhunting the CEO and a few others.
I also think the biggest mistake UFA committed was the disposal of Sportsman Warehouse. It gave them the ability to improve their access to goods on the lower side of the continent just the same as Cabelas and BassPro.
Goes to show ya, farmers and hunters aren't always the best of friends.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
UFA made a big mistake getting rid of wholesale sports, all they did was buy the the ufa time from their inevitable demise. Pincher Creek is a prime example of this, that ufa is always dead, the co-op on the other hand always has like 10 to 20 cars in its parking lot apposed to the one or two cars in the ufa parking lot. The writing is on the wall for the ufa.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Interesting thing is that UFA made a mess of Sportsmen's warehouse and since UFA disposed of them SW has grown incredibly fast and efficient. The manager of the SW in Spokane told me that that when wholesale sold them they had about 12 stores. They have now over 50 with new ones opening all the time.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:36 PM

Unfortunately retail in the states is way different than up here. Many successful Canadian retailers have tried making it down south and it just does not work the same.
My own experience managing with one of the most successful Canadian retailers for many years we had a company we bought in Arizona. We tried for many years and just could not make it work like up here.
I spent some time down there and the people and the consumers have a whole different way of thinking and business is not the same. One of our owners told me at a party once that he felt like he was walking in quick sand.

Since then they sold if off a couple years ago as it was our boat anchor for many years eating up profits we made up here.

Maybe UFA messed up too but it is a challenge doing business there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Interesting thing is that UFA made a mess of Sportsmen's warehouse and since UFA disposed of them SW has grown incredibly fast and efficient. The manager of the SW in Spokane told me that that when wholesale sold them they had about 12 stores. They have now over 50 with new ones opening all the time.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:26 AM

I hope UFA keeps going for a long time. I don't care for coop