Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 08:56 PM

Default Sometimes your the hunted......

Whoa..... just got back from rattling whitetails....

The boy and I were set up this evening 1/2 way up the mountain. Good whitetail sign all over..
I spot 2 deer stopped and an alert looking our way at about 200 yards. I whisper to my boy to scope them out and see if ones a buck or if a buck is close by.

I’m trying to find the deer in my scope as I put down the Binos ... can’t find em.
I look over at my boy and he’s tracking them in his scope...
“Buck or does ??” I hiss....
He gives me a look like I’m nuts....

Cougar.

I switch to the binos a s sure enough. Mid sized cougar bee lining right to us looking for the fighting bucks. He turns and heads down wind 200 yards using the small landforms as cover.... we watch him turn and head uphill towards us (but down wind)....

We decide to bug out after we loose him above us.

No deer tonight. But what a sight to see.

It’s a special feeling to know for sure that your NOT the apex predator out there.

No pics.... too busy hangin onto the rifle.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."

Last edited by bessiedog; 11-06-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:15 PM

Awesome story. Glad you two made it through unscathed. Had a similar situation years ago calling moose when a black bear snuck in on us.

BW
Old 11-06-2019, 09:31 PM

My favorite WT spot was taken care by a cougars couple of years ago and I feel nothing but negative about those big cats.
Kill them fast I would say or there will be no deers to hunt.

S12

Last edited by shooter12; 11-06-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:40 PM

All but 2 cougars I have seen in my life followed in deer I was calling. Always a risk of bringing in unwanted company when you sound like dinner
Old 11-07-2019, 09:49 AM

I was trying out deer pee on my boots two years ago. I saw something behind a bush, thinking it was a deer, then realized it was a cougar looking at me. I high tailed it out of there and heading back to home base, about a mile walk. Later that evening I was getting something from a shed and heard a rucas, so went back inside. The next morning, I noticed cougar tracks following me all the way home. I hate cats because I never see them, but know they are around
Old 11-07-2019, 12:30 PM

They are beautiful to see. In my opinion...there are too many in this locality. When they are in your backyard, on the streets and when you can hardly go on bush trails without seeing tracks, seeing them in person, seeing random legs and carcasses on trails that people regularly hike, they need some thinning out.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:26 PM

I don't want to derail but... Is it generally thought to be better to use deer urine as a cover scent or to just keep your gear as scent free as possible?

Back on track, the first thing into a trail camera I set up last December. A medium sized cougar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
I was trying out deer pee on my boots two years ago. I saw something behind a bush, thinking it was a deer, then realized it was a cougar looking at me. I high tailed it out of there and heading back to home base, about a mile walk. Later that evening I was getting something from a shed and heard a rucas, so went back inside. The next morning, I noticed cougar tracks following me all the way home. I hate cats because I never see them, but know they are around