Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
As my Grandfather used to say, “people die in bed”.
Chuck (and anyone else who cares to answer). I have a question for you. For a moment ignore the stats, opinions, posturing etc., my question is how many people in the following categories are an acceptable total loss in the next 12 months given your own preferred status quo of community behavior:

The World
North America
Canada
Your Province
Your Town or District
Your Neighborhood
Your Extended Family
Your Household

I'm just curious where the line in the sand is for some people.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Chuck (and anyone else who cares to answer). I have a question for you. For a moment ignore the stats, opinions, posturing etc., my question is how many people in the following categories are an acceptable total loss in the next 12 months given your own preferred status quo of community behavior:

The World
North America
Canada
Your Province
Your Town or District
Your Neighborhood
Your Extended Family
Your Household

I'm just curious where the line in the sand is for some people.
What line do you want? Socioeconomic, health, quality of life? Which line in the sand do you prefer? What about the people suffering from cancer, heart disease, type 1 diabetes? Where is your line for them? What if the government poured billions into those causes? What about the many seniors in my community that die every winter from influenza and pneumonia? What line do we draw there?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-30-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
You first, start going around liking poles in public places, and makes sure you let us know how it goes!
...liking poles...??? What are you trying to say here?

Oh, maybe you mean licking poles, well I for one wouldn't go around doing that in public places!
Old 06-30-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
What line do you want? Socioeconomic, health, quality of life? Which line in the sand do you prefer? What about the people suffering from cancer, heart disease, type 1 diabetes? Where is your line for them? What if the government poured billions into those causes? What about the many seniors in my community that die every winter from influenza and pneumonia? What line do we draw there?
So you draw a line in the sand, big deal. What happens when it's crossed by whatever?
Old 06-30-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
So you draw a line in the sand, big deal. What happens when it's crossed by whatever?
I’m not drawing any lines.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-30-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I’m not drawing any lines.
Sorry, I was referring to the post that talked about drawing a line in the sand.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:12 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
...liking poles...??? What are you trying to say here?

Oh, maybe you mean licking poles, well I for one wouldn't go around doing that in public places!
you like'em...lick'em...and see if you getz sick.....ol'school lab testing

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-30-2020, 02:47 PM

I for one have type 1 diabetes and I am a transplant recipient. To me if the government had spent as much on type 1 diabetes and cancer research as they have on covid 19 we would all be better off. This pandemic whichthe governments don't want to end won't until we tell them enough is enough.

Now as for licking poles you will most likely catch hepatitas C.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:47 PM

Interesting numbers in Florida today show 9000 paediatric cases out of their total of 163,000 (5.5%). I'm sure it's on the minds of the elected officials and teachers how the new school year will look as kids have an amazing capacity to spread infections to each, their instructors, and then take it back home.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
only sure fire way...based on your lab testing....
Lab testing? How do you think every other flu and cold that has come though the population stopped? Herd immunity. Its not a "test" its a time tested proven method....or did you think the previous viruses just got bored and left? For the record, I have made zero changes to my lifestyle when the virus came out because it needs to go through the population. I know that it will cull some of the herd and it may be my some of my friends or family but that is a risk we should take.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
I for one have type 1 diabetes and I am a transplant recipient. To me if the government had spent as much on type 1 diabetes and cancer research as they have on covid 19 we would all be better off. This pandemic whichthe governments don't want to end won't until we tell them enough is enough.

Now as for licking poles you will most likely catch hepatitas C.
Nope A or B from licking poles, C is only blood transmission.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
There’s no old people in Florida
Maybe less now, but one would think a high population of Oldies would slant the death rate upwards.

Grizz
Old 06-30-2020, 03:07 PM

Rueters reports on Fauci's comments today …..

- Cases can go up from 40,000 new case/day up to 100,000/day if they don't take action right away (in the USA)

- A vaccine may not be available anytime soon

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspo...2C1?ocid=ientp
Old 06-30-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Number of people dead from covid given your preferred scenario - economy open, economy closed, current status quo or back to normal. You seem to have strong opinions on a certain approach, i'm just asking (not judging) what is the acceptable fatality count for that position. For example, I think the economy being open is very important but if being open cost more than say 150,000 Canadian lives, then that would be a unacceptable for me today. Next week maybe I feel different but do you have a line in the sand? Is there a hypothetical outcome represented by total deaths from covid that you'd change your position?
Old 06-30-2020, 03:15 PM

Default I don’t have a problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
I posted the numbers to show what I was referring to. You have a problem with it how so?

Osky
I seriously wonder if you do?

Please tell us what conclusion or strong indication you draw from it.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-30-2020, 03:24 PM
Banned

Default You can’t hide from covid

Anyone who thinks they can hide from covid is living a fantasy. How long do you plan on hiding for? A month? A year? A decade?

Like Bergerboy said, it’s not going anywhere until we get the herd immunity. It’s like dodging raindrops. The virus will decide when it’s done with us.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:43 PM

A couple hundred million Americans need to be infected for herd immunity. The healthcare system would explode. Masks, social distancing and washing hands will slow things down so the numbers can gradually reach the herd immunity requirement, or a vaccine developed. With personal discipline, the country would not have to be shut down, but sacrifices would have to be made.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Number of people dead from covid given your preferred scenario - economy open, economy closed, current status quo or back to normal. You seem to have strong opinions on a certain approach, i'm just asking (not judging) what is the acceptable fatality count for that position. For example, I think the economy being open is very important but if being open cost more than say 150,000 Canadian lives, then that would be a unacceptable for me today. Next week maybe I feel different but do you have a line in the sand? Is there a hypothetical outcome represented by total deaths from covid that you'd change your position?
Well let’s say keeping it closed costs 500,000 jobs? Where is your line on that? There is no line? How could there be?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-30-2020, 04:11 PM

According to CBC today...

Health officials were tracking outbreaks of COVID-19 linked to four Edmonton restaurants on Tuesday, as the province Alberta reported 41 new cases of the respiratory illness.

The four restaurants were the Greta Bar (15 cases), Earl's Tin Palace (six cases), The Pint (10 cases) and Local (nine cases) on Jasper Avenue, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, the province's chief medical officer of health, said at a news conference.

"Alberta Health Services is working closely with operators to facilitate testing and ensure all necessary steps are taken to protect public health," Hinshaw said.

The 41 additional cases reported on Tuesday brings the total number of active cases in the province to 549.

The breakdown by region was:
Edmonton zone: 257 cases.
Calgary zone: 246 cases.
North zone: 37 cases.
South zone: 28 cases.
Central zone: four cases
Unknown: one case.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's chief medical officer of health, provided her latest COVID-19 update at a news conference on Tuesday.

Case numbers in the province have been inching up in recent days. Alberta reported 71 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday.

It was the biggest spike in new cases since May 16, when 72 were reported.

As of Tuesday, there were 559 active cases in the province, with 41 people in hospital, including nine in intensive care.

So far, 154 people in the province have died from the illness.

The age breakdown of those who have died is:

80 years or older, 108 deaths.
70-79 years, 31 deaths.
60-69 years, 10 deaths.
50-59 years, two deaths.
40-49 years, one death.
30-39 years, one death.
20-29, one death.

By Monday, 7,354 people had recovered from COVID-19 in Alberta, and the province had completed 442,253 tests.

So if I read right, there were 41 new cases in all of Alberta - 40 of which were connected to the restaurants listed above.

Our count is now:

7354 cases
559 active cases
41 in hospital
9 in ICU
154 deaths
442,253 tests

As a comparison BC reports:

2904 cases
153 active cases
18 in hospital
5 in ICU
174 deaths
192,432 tests

Of course the media do not provide the number of tests completed over the same 24 hour period.

Last edited by CMichaud; 06-30-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
According to CBC today...

Health officials were tracking outbreaks of COVID-19 linked to four Edmonton restaurants on Tuesday, as the province Alberta reported 41 new cases of the respiratory illness.

The four restaurants were the Greta Bar (15 cases), Earl's Tin Palace (six cases), The Pint (10 cases) and Local (nine cases) on Jasper Avenue, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, the province's chief medical officer of health, said at a news conference.

"Alberta Health Services is working closely with operators to facilitate testing and ensure all necessary steps are taken to protect public health," Hinshaw said.

The 41 additional cases reported on Tuesday brings the total number of active cases in the province to 549.

The breakdown by region was:
Edmonton zone: 257 cases.
Calgary zone: 246 cases.
North zone: 37 cases.
South zone: 28 cases.
Central zone: four cases
Unknown: one case.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's chief medical officer of health, provided her latest COVID-19 update at a news conference on Tuesday.

Case numbers in the province have been inching up in recent days. Alberta reported 71 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday.

It was the biggest spike in new cases since May 16, when 72 were reported.

As of Tuesday, there were 559 active cases in the province, with 41 people in hospital, including nine in intensive care.

So far, 154 people in the province have died from the illness.

The age breakdown of those who have died is:

80 years or older, 108 deaths.
70-79 years, 31 deaths.
60-69 years, 10 deaths.
50-59 years, two deaths.
40-49 years, one death.
30-39 years, one death.
20-29, one death.

By Monday, 7,354 people had recovered from COVID-19 in Alberta, and the province had completed 442,253 tests.

So if I read right, there were 41 new cases in all of Alberta - 40 of which were connected to the restaurants listed above.

Of course they do not provide the number of tests completed over the same 24 hour period.
So the backyard BBQ scenario is pretty far fetched looking at those numbers.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-30-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Well let’s say keeping it closed costs 500,000 jobs? Where is your line on that? There is no line? How could there be?
The line can be anywhere you want to draw it. I've already said 150,000 deaths for an open economy which in my scenario saves those 500,000 and in my view many more jobs.

So how about you?
Old 06-30-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Anyone who thinks they can hide from covid is living a fantasy. How long do you plan on hiding for? A month? A year? A decade?

Like Bergerboy said, it’s not going anywhere until we get the herd immunity. It’s like dodging raindrops. The virus will decide when it’s done with us.

Herd immunity for Covid-19 ruled out as a possibility by the experts. We don't develop antibodies for this thing. Maybe a couple of generations down the line your offsprings offspring might be born with something to fight it.

People still get colds over and over. Thats a corona virus. No herd immunity. Same with the flu. Mutations and variations so we're always one step behind.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Herd immunity for Covid-19 ruled out as a possibility by the experts. We don't develop antibodies for this thing. Maybe a couple of generations down the line your offsprings offspring might be born with something to fight it.

People still get colds over and over. Thats a corona virus. No herd immunity. Same with the flu. Mutations and variations so we're always one step behind.
If that is the case you can rule out an effective vaccine as well

Full time hiding is the plan for the future then
Old 06-30-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
The line can be anywhere you want to draw it. I've already said 150,000 deaths for an open economy which in my scenario saves those 500,000 and in my view many more jobs.

So how about you?
I’ve told you now three times that I don’t have a line. I don’t know how you can nor control it.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-30-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Lab testing? How do you think every other flu and cold that has come though the population stopped? Herd immunity. Its not a "test" its a time tested proven method....or did you think the previous viruses just got bored and left? For the record, I have made zero changes to my lifestyle when the virus came out because it needs to go through the population. I know that it will cull some of the herd and it may be my some of my friends or family but that is a risk we should take.
what...you waddle around going about your business as if it was prior to the pandemic..not taking into consideration anyone....selfish....I have a few other thoughts on this but will leave it as is.....thank god you are a very small minority....

we have a flu shot etc and maybe in due time a vaccine for this but do us, your loved ones etc a favour and go check the cattle for a year or two, mend fences etc....

Old 06-30-2020, 04:53 PM

So what is a viable solution to this?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-30-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

how about we let the medical experts determine that....oh and they will...blink and we can have severe restrictions implemented.....

I don't know what bergerboy does or lives etc but he/she mentioned to just go about the day as if nothing happened...find that hard to believe unless you are somewhat isolated already and got a good supply other than that going out to get items was slowed down/restricted etc or stopped all together....

if we run amuck the guerments will put a kabosh on us....just look at the states...thank god our country has a little more control or we too would be in the hurt locker right now...

Old 06-30-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
what...you waddle around going about your business as if it was prior to the pandemic..not taking into consideration anyone....selfish....I have a few other thoughts on this but will leave it as is.....thank god you are a very small minority....

we have a flu shot etc and maybe in due time a vaccine for this but do us, your loved ones etc a favour and go check the cattle for a year or two, mend fences etc....
Agree with you. Can’t believe anybody would not take this virus seriously. It’s so easy to wear a mask and I do it every place I shop. I really don’t want that crap and also to pass it on to someone in my family would destroy me. Guess some people don’t care Herd immunity. Lol.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
So what is a viable solution to this?
follow medical directions and what we are told we cant and can do....sucks but that's the best solution right now...studies are showing odd things happening to kids now....wait one on that....stay healthy and safe folks.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
follow medical directions and what we are told we cant and can do....sucks but that's the best solution right now...studies are showing odd things happening to kids now....wait one on that....stay healthy and safe folks.
Ok, that’s fine. What are those measures and how do you propose to enforce them?

-Billy Molls
Closed Thread