Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
And yet 100 yrs later, we have many people of different races thriving in this country. Doctors ,nurses ,Lawyers ,political figures , trades women and men,labourers. You can thrive if you work at it or you can wallow in self pity. The opportunity is there for both
You don't get it bud. The opportunity isn't the same for everyone - that's the whole point.

To say you know of successful people of colour and that means that we have a level playing field is a flawed thought process. Given the population size one would expect a relatively normal distribution of all ethnicities across all professions. That certainly is not the case.

I suggest you attempt to put your biases aside and try and understand what is being discussed. Who knows, you might grow a bit.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
No, not at all. Despite having previous personal experience with systematic racism, and conventional racism, I did watch the video.

I am also very aware of which organization facilitated the video. The Epoch Times. They are very well known to have spread false conspiracy theories, present far ult. right racist views and have a long history comparable to other trash rags like the Rebel, Breitbart and other publications with similar agendas.

Despite that, I watched it. I considered what was said.

I don't agree with it.

Pretty simple - but thank you for jumping to conclusions, putting words into my mouth and getting mad when you ask for an opinion and get one.

If you don't want to hear other peoples views, don't ask for our opinions on a discussion forum.

What am I missing here? What's not making sense to you about that?

Ok at least you watched the video , you sort of implied that you did not because it was epoch that presented it.

Epoch being racist is a stretch. I see them presenting stories backed up by factual quotes. They are very hard on the Chinese communist regime but that is hardly racist, that is taking a stance against a repressive dictatorship and I applaud them for it. They are quite supportive of oppressed minorities. They are conservative in their leanings but being conservative doesn’t make you a racist, regardless of what Justin says.

Comparing them to Rebel is a pretty big leap. Rebel is not a serious news organization ,I see them as more ambulance chasers looking for their next lawsuit. As for Brietbart? Never seen them or heard them so can’t comment.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Doctors ,nurses ,Lawyers ,political figures , trades women and men,labourers. You can thrive if you work at it or you can wallow in self pity. The opportunity is there for both
I agree that this is correct. However it should be noted that there should also come with a footnote beside it showcasing that it is not 100% achievable for all, equally. Maybe it is because I left my home farm town where pretty much everybody came from the same beginnings to reside somewhere else and work in something else that I am able to see that all kids don't have the same hope. It's easy to sit back and say the opportunity is there but there are whole bunch of factors at play.

My own mother, thankfully opened my eyes to it slightly in my youth, but it was not until I became an adult that I fully saw what she was trying to show me. I really commend her now, considering where she was raising me, demographically.

Also, in regards to Epoch Times, if people can yell and scream aboout the "left wing" media, which I agree exists, then people should also be able to call a spade a spade on the other end of the spectrum and acknowledge that Epoch times is home to Conspiracy Theory Central and even make an informed decision that they think it is "pretty wacko"

Last edited by Rvsask; 06-24-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
No, not at all. Despite having previous personal experience with systematic racism, and conventional racism, I did watch the video.

I am also very aware of which organization facilitated the video. The Epoch Times. They are very well known to have spread false conspiracy theories, present far ult. right racist views and have a long history comparable to other trash rags like the Rebel, Breitbart and other publications with similar agendas.

Despite that, I watched it. I considered what was said.

I don't agree with it.

Pretty simple - but thank you for jumping to conclusions, putting words into my mouth and getting mad when you ask for an opinion and get one.

If you don't want to hear other peoples views, don't ask for our opinions on a discussion forum.

What am I missing here? What's not making sense to you about that?

Okay well at least you watched the video , you implied that you didn’t because it was an Epoch times video.

As far as Epoch being a racist news organization, I think that is a bit of a leap. They are very sympathetic and supportive of oppressed minorities. Although I haven’t read their mission statement.
They are very critical of the CCP but that is not a racial thing, that is a brutal communist (racist by the way) dictatorship that deserves all the criticism it gets and more.
They are quite conservative in their views but that doesn’t make them racist, despite what Justin would have us believe.
Comparing Epoch to Rebel is a stretch as well. Rebel, in my opinion is a group of ambulance chasers always in search of their next lawsuit. As for Brietbart, I have never seen them or read them so I can’t comment.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
I agree that this is correct. However it should be noted that there should also come with a footnote beside it showcasing that it is not 100% achievable for all, equally.
In my working life I worked as a labourer and as a tradesman.I worked alongside White, Black, Asian, native men and women.I have had bosses that were visible minority. Most of the vocations I listed were not 100% or even remotely achievable by me either ( yes I am a sufferer of white privilege ).
I won’t be inheriting any large tracts of land or large anything that I am aware of although I did inherit my dads old sporter 303 👍. The point is that not everyone gets what they want out of life but many of those that do not also would rather be the victim than do something about it . not all , I didn’t say all .

I am not a racist and I resent being lumped in with real racists just because I am an older slightly out of shape white guy.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I am not a racist and I resent being lumped in with real racists just because I am an older slightly out of shape white guy.
I'm not trying to say you are racist and am not trying to lump you in anywhere. I am just trying to acknowledge my own benefits in life going all of the way back to the right type of person, dad's side, which was Norwegian, getting a foothold in our country, because they were "the right ones". Heck, at one time the community I grew up in was called "MY LAST NAME Post Office". LOL My mom's family also came from a community that had their name "Wieseville", it's now Gull Lake, Alberta.
I am also not saying, my ancestors did not work hard for what they grew, I am just acknowledging that not everybody had that same chance, nor do they today.

My 14 year old boy will begin baseball practice tonight. He will be playing alongside kids who's families have had a much, much more difficult row to hoe in their life.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
In my working life I worked as a labourer and as a tradesman.I worked alongside White, Black, Asian, native men and women.I have had bosses that were visible minority. Most of the vocations I listed were not 100% or even remotely achievable by me either ( yes I am a sufferer of white privilege ).
I won’t be inheriting any large tracts of land or large anything that I am aware of although I did inherit my dads old sporter 303 👍. The point is that not everyone gets what they want out of life but many of those that do not also would rather be the victim than do something about it . not all , I didn’t say all .

I think right now that being a victim is the in thing right now. Stories of success are not
Old 06-24-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Okay well at least you watched the video , you implied that you didn’t because it was an Epoch times video.

As far as Epoch being a racist news organization, I think that is a bit of a leap. They are very sympathetic and supportive of oppressed minorities. Although I haven’t read their mission statement.
They are very critical of the CCP but that is not a racial thing, that is a brutal communist (racist by the way) dictatorship that deserves all the criticism it gets and more.
They are quite conservative in their views but that doesn’t make them racist, despite what Justin would have us believe.
Comparing Epoch to Rebel is a stretch as well. Rebel, in my opinion is a group of ambulance chasers always in search of their next lawsuit. As for Brietbart, I have never seen them or read them so I can’t comment.
You may not agree that calling them a racist publication is fair, but article like this one, and so many others inflame, promote and marginalize racism.

Here's my perspective on it …. Standing idly by as something racist happens does not necessarily make you a racist, but if you are consistently and tirelessly promoting, or provoking a conversation, or an action about something that is bigoted or racist makes you an accessory to bigotry or racism. That's what this publication does all the time, and that's what this entire piece is as far as I'm concerned. That's my opinion.

To say that systematic racism isn't real is completely and utterly ridiculous.

To say that, in some cases, people use racism as a crutch, or falsely claim racism, sexism or whatever, isn't happening is equally ridiculous.

The reality is, the issue is real. I gave several examples of it, including one I was unwittingly guilty of myself.

There are also certain things that well intentioned people do to overcompensate in an attempt to address racism (like affirmative action) or, if we look strictly at socio economical issues, welfare and handout programs, that actually HURT the people they are designed to help but creating a crutch, an interdependence, or excuse not to help themselves and their communities. Those are perfect examples of systematic discrimination.

There's also those that cry wolf ……...

Look at Chief Andrew's case, he called racism despite the fact he failed to comply with a lawful order, interfered with a police investigation, resisted arrest, made threats to the officer and when arrested - the cop's a racist? really? there one real life example.

But, to say that racism doesn't exist (or systematic racism) - that's simply not true.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
I'm not trying to say you are racist and am not trying to lump you in anywhere. I am just trying to acknowledge my own benefits in life going all of the way back to the right type of person, dad's side, which was Norwegian, getting a foothold in our country, because they were "the right ones". Heck, at one time the community I grew up in was called "MY LAST NAME Post Office". LOL My mom's family also came from a community that had their name "Wieseville", it's now Gull Lake, Alberta.
I am also not saying, my ancestors did not work hard for what they grew, I am just acknowledging that not everybody had that same chance, nor do they today.

My 14 year old boy will begin baseball practice tonight. He will be playing alongside kids who's families have had a much, much more difficult row to hoe in their life.
Didn’t mean you specific , the general narrative today seems to be that if you are white ,old ,conservative .you are racist or at the very least under suspicion and should apologize.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
You may not agree that calling them a racist publication is fair, but article like this one, and so many others inflame, promote and marginalize racism.

Here's my perspective on it …. Standing idly by as something racist happens does not necessarily make you a racist, but if you are consistently and tirelessly promoting, or provoking a conversation, or an action about something that is bigoted or racist makes you an accessory to bigotry or racism. That's what this publication does all the time, and that's what this entire piece is as far as I'm concerned. That's my opinion.

To say that systematic racism isn't real is completely and utterly ridiculous.

To say that, in some cases, people use racism as a crutch, or falsely claim racism, sexism or whatever, isn't happening is equally ridiculous.

The reality is, the issue is real. I gave several examples of it, including one I was unwittingly guilty of myself.

There are also certain things that well intentioned people do to overcompensate in an attempt to address racism (like affirmative action) or, if we look strictly at socio economical issues, welfare and handout programs, that actually HURT the people they are designed to help but creating a crutch, an interdependence, or excuse not to help themselves and their communities. Those are perfect examples of systematic discrimination.

There's also those that cry wolf ……...

Look at Chief Andrew's case, he called racism despite the fact he failed to comply with a lawful order, interfered with a police investigation, resisted arrest, made threats to the officer and when arrested - the cop's a racist? really? there one real life example.

But, to say that racism doesn't exist (or systematic racism) - that's simply not true.

To say that systematic racism exist in the US and Canadian police organizations is to say that racism is part of the training . Not buying that.

Elder didn’t say that racism doesn’t exist, in fact he recited his own experiences with racism as black kid growing up. He argues that it is not systemic in police organizations. It is there, of course it is there but not to the extent that some groups would like us to believe because it will benefit them politically if they can convey that message.

Because of what some rogue cops have done on the job, some of society is pushing the narrative that all cops are racists and it is systemic throughout all police forces.
Using that logic ... because some lunatic goes out and commits a mass murder in Nova Scotia, murder and mayhem must be systemic in the gun community. All gun owners are guilty along with the perpetrator of the mass murder.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
[QUOTE . This will not work only if something changes. If we don't change society, Caucasians will continue to be under-represented in prison.
Clearly you think representation matters and makes a difference on whether or not people end up in jail. So you need a really clear description of everything so... I am using a different meaning of "representation" I think.

Saying caucasians are "under-represented" in prison and society needs to change to correct this, implies that you think more white people need to go to jail because they are larger population or because they are white. Not because they commit crimes. It certainly does not imply that. What it means is that there are fewer Caucasians in prison than would be expected in terms of their percentage representation in the general population, all other things being equal.

I did not say that society needs to change. I said that if society does not make changes the situation will remain the same. You are putting words in my mouth.

I don't see how my statements could be read to imply that more Caucasians should go to prison.

Just so that your false representation model fits your argument. The fact that more white people are in jail is because they individually, have commited crimes. Their race is just happen stance. How are "more" white people in jail? There are fewer than expected. Whether or not their race is happenstance is one of the topics being debated. Is it your contention that their race did or did not matter during the judicial proceedings?

Representation based on population is one of the false connections people make to fit their virtue signalling. One like the "gender pay gap" another myth.
How is it a false connection to say that the general population is 73% Caucasian while the prison population is 56%?

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by sk270; 06-24-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
To say that systematic racism exist in the US and Canadian police organizations is to say that racism is part of the training . Not buying that.

He argues that it is not systemic in police organizations. It is there, of course it is there but not to the extent that some groups would like us to believe because it will benefit them politically if they can convey that message.

Because of what some rogue cops have done on the job, some of society is pushing the narrative that all cops are racists and it is systemic throughout all police forces.
I agree with the last paragraph. There is far too much generalization from single incidents.

However, I disagree with the first paragraph. Each identifiable group in society has a visible and hidden culture. Training is the former. If racism exists it can easily be part of the latter.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
You don't get it bud. The opportunity isn't the same for everyone - that's the whole point.

To say you know of successful people of colour and that means that we have a level playing field is a flawed thought process. Given the population size one would expect a relatively normal distribution of all ethnicities across all professions. That certainly is not the case.

I suggest you attempt to put your biases aside and try and understand what is being discussed. Who knows, you might grow a bit.
No. Where is it ordained that all are equal? Who says that you? Were not. Normal distribution? That means evryone pays attention in school exactly the same. No one drops out. No one has any different input or commitment level.
That’s never going to happen anywhere. Without people excelling we would all be living in caves.
Ever read about Elih Whitney? How about Martin Luther King, maybe Dr. Ben Carson? The list is endless with people who came from nothing and made a decision of responsibility and moved on.
What about our NFL over 70% black. How about the NBA over 80% black... those guys chose a sport, avoided gang life and drugs and excellled.
I’m a breed who people would say has done very well when most Indians here don’t. I made decisions on where I wanted to be and worked for them and didn’t accept a single handout nor did I crave some phony minority status. As far as things said to me? Here, try this, sticks and stones......
In this country the options are endless for minority’s if they want them. First they have to get off their cans and earn them and avoid people like you encouraging phones excuses.

Osky
Old 06-24-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Not drinking the kool aid first of all
Second , yes I do notice a lot more Asian doctors than white ,a lot more self loathing white people than any other , a lot more ethnic politicians than ever before ....

I suggest you take the blinders off and look around , who knows , you might grow a bit yourself ... Bud
Old 06-24-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Elder didn’t say that racism doesn’t exist, in fact he recited his own experiences with racism as black kid growing up. He argues that it is not systemic in police organizations. It is there, of course it is there but not to the extent that some groups would like us to believe because it will benefit them politically if they can convey that message.

Using that logic ... because some lunatic goes out and commits a mass murder in Nova Scotia, murder and mayhem must be systemic in the gun community. All gun owners are guilty along with the perpetrator of the mass murder.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree.
I think the definition of systemic racism is paramount to this discussion. I think the guy in the video, with all respect to him, missed the point, he really did.

Systemic racism does not necessarily mean cops (and or other organizations) sit down, plan out and/or make policies specifically targeting anyone or anything like that.

As far as there being no systemic racism in the police force - that's simply not accurate - it's not a matter of my opinion vs yours vs Johny's - it's been well documented ……….

A Stanford University study that analyzed 93 million traffic stops in the United States revealed that African Americans are twenty percent more likely to be stopped.[56] In the state of California, 28% of people halted by police officers in Los Angeles were black, despite accounting for only 9% of the population.[57]

That's one pretty easy one there from the Wikipedia link below ….. and there's more examples there. And, a much better definition compared to how I may be articulating it ….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

I've also noted that Affirmative action is clearly systematic racism. (It just happens to cut the other way)
Old 06-24-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I think the definition of systemic racism is paramount to this discussion. I think the guy in the video, with all respect to him, missed the point, he really did.

Systemic racism does not necessarily mean cops (and or other organizations) sit down, plan out and/or make policies specifically targeting anyone or anything like that.

As far as there being no systemic racism in the police force - that's simply not accurate - it's not a matter of my opinion vs yours vs Johny's - it's been well documented ……….

A Stanford University study that analyzed 93 million traffic stops in the United States revealed that African Americans are twenty percent more likely to be stopped.[56] In the state of California, 28% of people halted by police officers in Los Angeles were black, despite accounting for only 9% of the population.[57]

That's one pretty easy one there from the Wikipedia link below ….. and there's more examples there. And, a much better definition compared to how I may be articulating it ….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

I've also noted that Affirmative action is clearly systematic racism. (It just happens to cut the other way)
Curious if you have any of those stats for Canada?
Old 06-24-2020, 03:26 PM

The only thing that seems systemic these days is stupidity.

Osky
Old 06-24-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Curious if you have any of those stats for Canada?
I'm sure there might be somewhere, but it not my thread, I'm just making my point that these issues are real and the definition of what systemic racism is, (or what institutional discrimination for that matter is), unfortunately isn't well understood by many people, yet we are getting their contribution and their opinions when they don't even understand the basic premise of what it is that we are discussing (including the guy on the video).
Old 06-24-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
The only thing that seems systemic these days is stupidity.

Osky
Stupidity seems systemic in many circles - I'd say that's true.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:

I'm glad you pointed that out. Many people don't understand what they are even arguing about and won't take the time to understand it.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
No. Where is it ordained that all are equal? Who says that you? Were not. Normal distribution? That means evryone pays attention in school exactly the same. No one drops out. No one has any different input or commitment level.
That’s never going to happen anywhere. Without people excelling we would all be living in caves.
Ever read about Elih Whitney? How about Martin Luther King, maybe Dr. Ben Carson? The list is endless with people who came from nothing and made a decision of responsibility and moved on.
What about our NFL over 70% black. How about the NBA over 80% black... those guys chose a sport, avoided gang life and drugs and excellled.
I’m a breed who people would say has done very well when most Indians here don’t. I made decisions on where I wanted to be and worked for them and didn’t accept a single handout nor did I crave some phony minority status. As far as things said to me? Here, try this, sticks and stones......
In this country the options are endless for minority’s if they want them. First they have to get off their cans and earn them and avoid people like you encouraging phones excuses.

Osky
You can cite all the anecdotes you want - they're meaningless. What percentage of the population is employed as a professional athlete? Does it make sense to you to take this small group and make inferences for the entire country? Think long and hard on that one.

If you want the truth you have to take a step back and look at the big picture. Look at the average income of our first nations population and compare it to the mean. Do the same in the US for their African American population. Look at which groups make up our prison population. Are all these numbers just coincidence? Maybe there is something else at play here...
Old 06-24-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Not drinking the kool aid first of all
Second , yes I do notice a lot more Asian doctors than white ,a lot more self loathing white people than any other , a lot more ethnic politicians than ever before ....

I suggest you take the blinders off and look around , who knows , you might grow a bit yourself ... Bud
See post above.

Citing a few successful examples does not constitute evidence for a level playing field.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
You can cite all the anecdotes you want - they're meaningless. What percentage of the population is employed as a professional athlete? Does it make sense to you to take this small group and make inferences for the entire country? Think long and hard on that one.

If you want the truth you have to take a step back and look at the big picture. Look at the average income of our first nations population and compare it to the mean. Do the same in the US for their African American population. Look at which groups make up our prison population. Are all these numbers just coincidence? Maybe there is something else at play here...
Coincidence? Noooo more like if you do the crime you do the time. Choices have meanings wether your rich or poor or anywhere in between.

Osky
Old 06-24-2020, 06:05 PM

Getting blamed for the actions of others 300 years ago is idiotic.

Continuing that mentality today is idiotic.

Trying to change the past is idiotic. Cant be done.

Treat everyone with respect. Be nice to people. Capture and prosecute offenders. Let people believe in whatever god they choose. If they shout out his name and kill, capture and prosecute.

Dont persecute.

You dont have to agree with people, but you dont have to convert them either. If you convert yourself, fine.

Drive with respect for others.

Share if you like. Or dont. Thats a choice.

Personally, I dont care if youre gay, straight, a guy, a gal, white, black, Oriental, Inuit, FN, liberal, conservative or communist
, old, young, smart, not smart, tall, short, fat, skinny etc etc

If youre nice to me, I will be the same to you.

It seems pretty simplistic, and it is. Take people for who they are. Love em or leave em. But you dont hafta persecute them.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:46 PM

Beating the systemic racism drum, is a futile waste of energy. There isn't so much a racism problem as a donkeyhole problem. That is applicable to every shade and colour there is. Anybody claiming a lock on that is foolish. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but its importance and impact on your life is probably a lot less dependent on that versus which gang colours you fly.

Stats twisted to prove an agenda don't mean more than the sum total of peeing on a flat rock. About 13% of the US population is black, yet something like 55% of crimes are committed by blacks. So it kind of makes a little sense that they are arrested or even pulled over a bit more frequently. Given the number of arrests stemming from a routine stop, it's highly likely that other rules triggering the stop were broken.

David Webb, Candace Owens, and Larry David can all tell you about the racism that affects their lives. But here's the spoiler. They all came up and made successes out of themselves, and they all deny being affected by it. On the flip side Barry O will say that it exists horribly. But on the other hand he got elected Potus twice, voted in by all the racist whites.

You know who isn't screaming about racism? Koreans and non indigenous Asians. Presumably because they are too busy making more on average than whites.

We all hear about racism, yet it's always just a couple groups that do all the hollering. And it's those same groups "over represented" in prison. Doesn't it make a person think that if NA were so horribly racist, that all the other groups would be affected?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-24-2020, 08:00 PM

Another fun couple facts:
-A black person is 18.5 times as likely to kill a police officer in the USA than vice versa.
-Police actual report more hesitation to draw on a black guy than a white due to public perceptions.

Nobody remembers Tony Timpa, or likely even heard of him. But in 2016 he was asphyxiated by the same police in Dallas he called for help. He was off his meds and scared, so he called 911. Upon arrival he was hog tied and his back was kneeled on. He pleaded 30+ times for his life.

Cops that killed him got off with little or no repercussions.

Tony Timpa was white. Where was his outcry?

Pureblood!
Old 06-24-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post

You know who isn't screaming about racism? Koreans and non indigenous Asians. Presumably because they are too busy making more on average than whites.

We all hear about racism, yet it's always just a couple groups that do all the hollering. And it's those same groups "over represented" in prison. Doesn't it make a person think that if NA were so horribly racist, that all the other groups would be affected?
This is complete BS. There are certainly cultural differences in the way protest and anger and frustrations happen but certainly it's not a just a couple of groups. Just because people don't pay as much attention to "other groups" doesn't mean that horrible racism doesn't happen.

Japanese Canadians having property confiscated and getting put into "camps" kind of qualifies as horrible racism to me...

Having lived for 52 years in Alberta but born in Korea, the amount of BS that gets thrown your way because you look "different" has been kind of, not fun. I've stopped wondering why I still get grouped with "new Canadians" which is another BS term -- You're Canadian or you're not - Full Stop.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
This is complete BS. There are certainly cultural differences in the way protest and anger and frustrations happen but certainly it's not a just a couple of groups. Just because people don't pay as much attention to "other groups" doesn't mean that horrible racism doesn't happen.

Japanese Canadians having property confiscated and getting put into "camps" kind of qualifies as horrible racism to me...

Having lived for 52 years in Alberta but born in Korea, the amount of BS that gets thrown your way because you look "different" has been kind of, not fun. I've stopped wondering why I still get grouped with "new Canadians" which is another BS term -- You're Canadian or you're not - Full Stop.
Sure it's horrible. It was awful, wrong and also a knee jerk war measure. Apologies were made. Think it would go down like that again? I don't. Why doesn't every Japanese bring it up as the reason that they are held back in Canada?

EVERYONE that looks or acts different is going to get that BS. And sometimes not because you're different, you just found the donkeyhole. You honestly think that any group is exempt? Could take you for a ride where being white, y'know "privileged" can put you in harms way, too. Not just "funny looks" which apparently today equates with having a burning cross on the lawn.

Pureblood!
Old 06-24-2020, 08:33 PM

And it's not BS. Certain Asian groups make more than the whites. Fact.

My assertion wasn't that racism did not exist at all. As long as there is people on Earth that are slightly different it will exist. Like Hutus and Tutsi.

But if you want to prove SYSTEMIC racism; you're going to have a tough time when you belong to a group that makes a higher income than everyone else. How does that exist in a systemically racist society?

Edit: Should have said minority group in above statement.

Pureblood!
Old 06-24-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post

But if you want to prove SYSTEMIC racism; you're going to have a tough time when you belong to a group that makes a higher income than everyone else. How does that exist in a systemically racist society?
There was once also a group of people, a minority, where some of the people controlled wealth, banking and many industries. Some of the biggest companies and organizations of that era. Because of this, they were persecuted and 5 million of these people were put into concentration camps and killed, including women, children, and the elderly.

I'd suggest they wouldn't agree that affluence and/or financial did not lead to systematic racism for their people.