Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2020, 12:04 AM

I sense that the perhaps the bigger issue, which isn’t getting talked about too much, is be what societal/economic class a person is from, and how that impacts (or restricts) their upward mobility. Bear with the American statistics:

In the States, the median average household worth for a white family is $170 000. For a black family it is $17 000. That gap is insane.

Not sure what US laws are like now, but it used to be that the penalties for getting caught with cocaine were somewhat lenient. Crack, on the other hand, would land a person in jail for a long time. End result: a lot of lower income families are broken, with one parent in jail. Middle and higher income families get a second chance to set things straight.

More food for thought: if you are wealthy enough to send your kid to Harvard, she will benefit from over $40 000 a year in hidden subsidies. The local community college student benefits are a fraction of that. The upward mobility of a rich kid is far greater.

One problem with focusing on concepts like “white privilege” is that despite the statistical benefit that caucasians have, it is not difficult to find white people in the lower, have-not class. Telling someone scraping by, living paycheque to paycheque that he is privileged will get a predictable, vitriolic response.

Not sure what the solution is though. Can progress be made without these conversations? A few months ago, I would have said to stop talking about race, and simply judge people on their merit. Not sure that’s good enough to get society to a point where the field is even a little more level.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:40 AM

Reading through the comments on this thread I suspect that most didn’t bother to watch the interview .
Old 06-24-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Reading through the comments on this thread I suspect that most didn’t bother to watch the interview .
Now Jungleboy I think that is the most astute observation on this thread and illustrates why things are the way they are.

Osky
Old 06-24-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Well, you got me there. I only watched one minute of the one hour YouTube video. Anyways, off to work! And then I have the privilege to be busy with kids and a never ending honey-do list, so I likely will not be able to scrape the 59 other minutes required to further comment on this post.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
Well, you got me there. I only watched one minute of the one hour YouTube video. Anyways, off to work! And then I have the privilege to be busy with kids and a never ending honey-do list, so I likely will not be able to scrape the 59 other minutes required to further comment on this post.
Th OP posted a specific video and asked for comment about that video. If you didn't watch it why did you post on his thread?

Osky
Old 06-24-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Oh, of course they didn’t. Someone even mentioned that they wanted all the answers in the first minute and a half of it.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-24-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
Well the answers to your previous post are there and even more so in the documentary.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-24-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I think several people have said this already but I'll try again. About 73% of the Canadian population is Caucasian and about 56% of Federal inmates are Caucasian. One of these numbers is from the Canadian Census and the other is from your graph. If everything else were equal, 73% of the Federal inmates would be Caucasian. The number is far lower.

What that means is that until now, Caucasians go to prison far less often than expected on the basis of total numbers. This is a fact, not anecdotal.

People with other skin colours go to jail more often than expected on the basis of total numbers. Again, this is a fact, not anecdotal.

Apparently you think that this is going to change despite the fact that it has been going on for a long time, basically since records have been kept. Unfortunately for you, the past does predict the future. That is the basis for our understanding of reality. This will not work only if something changes. If we don't change society, Caucasians will continue to be under-represented in prison.
So white people should go to prison for being white?
Old 06-24-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
I think it's time to go ride the pine.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Th OP posted a specific video and asked for comment about that video. If you didn't watch it why did you post on his thread?

Osky
Yep. You’re right. Apologies to the op… his initial post is commenting specifically about one video... not a discussion about systemic racism in general. I was overly cheeky in my earlier post.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post

Osky
The OP got me in with the title of his thread: Debunking systemic racism.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Oh, of course they didn’t. Someone even mentioned that they wanted all the answers in the first minute and a half of it.
I didn't say I wanted all the answers in the first minute and a half. I said that I prefer to read so that I can skip the bumpf, such as the first part of the video. I guess I will have to find a spare hour to watch but, as I said, I can read much faster than these videos run.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
You need to explain this further since it makes no sense as stated.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:54 AM

https://www.c-span.org/video/?472662...floyds-killing

Interesting interview re police and systemic racism. It is US but there are similarities to our Canadian experience.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:55 AM

I put the title and the short description of the video’s content because the mods made it clear that posting video links on their own without a description of content will result in the link being removed.
Unfortunately we are a generation of headline readers and not interested in the full content of a story. It’s very easy to form an opinion when you read a couple lines and don’t look at the whole picture . The Democrats / Liberals / media thrive on this weakness in the human attention span.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
https://www.c-span.org/video/?472662...floyds-killing

Interesting interview re police and systemic racism. It is US but there are similarities to our Canadian experience.
Don't any of these pundits write articles instead of talking?

Okay, I'll find another half hour to listen.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
………. or they did and don't share the views of video (and/or Epoch Times) - a far right perspective on a very real issue. You can put the Kool Aid out but some of us won't be drinking it.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately we are a generation of headline readers and not interested in the full content of a story. It’s very easy to form an opinion when you read a couple lines and don’t look at the whole picture . The Democrats / Liberals / media thrive on this weakness in the human attention span.
I didn't watch it. I already have made my mind up that I have benefitted from systemic racism and my children too, their children as well.
One could easily say the same thing about "youtube watchers" as "headline readers". Maybe Larry Elder, his 16 million dollar worth and The Epoch times thrive on this very same thing you say others thrive on?
Old 06-24-2020, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Between a full time job and two teenage boys I only wish I had enough time to watch all the hour long youtube videos my single friends send me
Old 06-24-2020, 10:35 AM

Default Ridiculous

Quote:
I put the title and the short description of the video’s content because the mods made it clear that posting video links on their own without a description of content will result in the link being removed.
A ridiculous statement to apply to one political group.

For some people (regardless of political affiliation) it's actually faster to process content through reading rather than watch content which is fed to you through video, which is not itself actually a great medium for communicating information in detail...
Old 06-24-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Between a full-time job and two teenage boys I only wish I had enough time to watch all the hour-long youtube videos my single friends send me
Totally agree, had a buddy send me a long clip of John Oliver, whoever the blank that is...20 seconds in, I'm thinking what point are you trying to make here?
Why not just pick up the phone and call me and we'll have a discussion or an argument or something more than passively sending a link to a video with no context.
Even if the email would have said, hey dude, you don't think the way I think you should, so you should watch this, I'd have more respect for that.

I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore...I'm gonna go buy my fishing license and go somewhere with crappy cell service lol.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
………. or they did and don't share the views of video (and/or Epoch Times) - a far right perspective on a very real issue. You can put the Kool Aid out but some of us won't be drinking it.

So you what you are saying is that you will ignore the message because you dislike the messenger . How delightfully narrow minded of you .

Last edited by jungleboy; 06-24-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
I didn't watch it. I already have made my mind up that I have benefitted from systemic racism and my children too, their children as well.
One could easily say the same thing about "youtube watchers" as "headline readers". Maybe Larry Elder, his 16 million dollar worth and The Epoch times thrive on this very same thing you say others thrive on?
If you didn’t watch it that’s fine , but don’t comment on it then. because you have no idea what you are commenting on.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
If you didn’t watch it that’s fine , but don’t comment on it then. because you have no idea what you are commenting on.
I did not comment on it, I commented on my own experience with systemic racism. My kids will inherit a farm, wealth, some of their friends have nothing. It goes back further than a few years. I should not have commented as the thread was about the video.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
A ridiculous statement to apply to one political group.

For some people (regardless of political affiliation) it's actually faster to process content through reading rather than watch content which is fed to you through video, which is not itself actually a great medium for communicating information in detail...
It is an interview , listening to it, or reading it, you will get the same content.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:44 AM

[QUOTE . This will not work only if something changes. If we don't change society, Caucasians will continue to be under-represented in prison.[/QUOTE]

Clearly you think representation matters and makes a difference on whether or not people end up in jail. So you need a really clear description of everything so...

Saying caucasians are "under-represented" in prison and society needs to change to correct this, implies that you think more white people need to go to jail because they are larger population or because they are white. Not because they commit crimes.
Just so that your false representation model fits your argument. The fact that more white people are in jail is because they individually, have commited crimes. Their race is just happen stance.

Representation based on population is one of the false connections people make to fit their virtue signalling. One like the "gender pay gap" another myth.

I will concede that systemic racism is starting. People are trying to make the system racist to white people. Affirmative action for example specifically discriminates people based on, in this case, white people among others.

This is all the abundant hypocrisy of the left. Solving racism by creating racism.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I will concede that systemic racism is starting
Starting? It's been 100 years since The Veterans Land Act highlighted how one "race" of soldiers did not receive equal opportunity to thrive.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
So you what you are saying is that you will ignore the message because you dislike the messenger . How delightfully narrow minded of you .
No, not at all. Despite having previous personal experience with systematic racism, and conventional racism, I did watch the video.

I am also very aware of which organization facilitated the video. The Epoch Times. They are very well known to have spread false conspiracy theories, present far ult. right racist views and have a long history comparable to other trash rags like the Rebel, Breitbart and other publications with similar agendas.

Despite that, I watched it. I considered what was said.

I don't agree with it.

Pretty simple - but thank you for jumping to conclusions, putting words into my mouth and getting mad when you ask for an opinion and get one.

If you don't want to hear other peoples views, don't ask for our opinions on a discussion forum.

What am I missing here? What's not making sense to you about that?
Old 06-24-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
[QUOTE . This will not work only if something changes. If we don't change society, Caucasians will continue to be under-represented in prison.
Clearly you think representation matters and makes a difference on whether or not people end up in jail. So you need a really clear description of everything so...

Saying caucasians are "under-represented" in prison and society needs to change to correct this, implies that you think more white people need to go to jail because they are larger population or because they are white. Not because they commit crimes.
Just so that your false representation model fits your argument. The fact that more white people are in jail is because they individually, have commited crimes. Their race is just happen stance.

Representation based on population is one of the false connections people make to fit their virtue signalling. One like the "gender pay gap" another myth.

I will concede that systemic racism is starting. People are trying to make the system racist to white people. Affirmative action for example specifically discriminates people based on, in this case, white people among others.

This is all the abundant hypocrisy of the left. Solving racism by creating racism.[/QUOTE]

Very well said. I would add one point, “racism” as a word has been totally bastardized and has become the cause celeb for great amounts of money.
As Steve Martin said in the jerk: “ Ahhh, so it’s a profit deal!”

Osky
Old 06-24-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
Starting? It's been 100 years since The Veterans Land Act highlighted how one "race" of soldiers did not receive equal opportunity to thrive.
And yet 100 yrs later, we have many people of different races thriving in this country. Doctors ,nurses ,Lawyers ,political figures , trades women and men,labourers. You can thrive if you work at it or you can wallow in self pity. The opportunity is there for both