Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2020, 10:49 AM

Just a quick heads up for all the Islay lovers....the Laphroaig Quarter Cask is on sale the SuperStore (here, anyway) for $54. That's as good as I've seen it in a long time. Stock up!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-18-2020, 10:41 PM

^
Thanks for that.
I will pick up a few.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:33 AM

I know I've been pumping the Islay's tires recently, but if you run into a bottle of the Glenlivet Nadurra you gotta get it. I wish it was more mature, but wow this is a good un.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:35 PM

Took a trip into the big city this afternoon for a visit to Chateau St Louis, cabinet was running a little thin, and evidently my Mastercard was feeling a little neglected lately.

I'm currently sipping on this little dram from the cabinet, but the 3 bottles that followed me home are safely hidden in the garage until such time as I feel it's safe to bring them into the house. Ssshhhh....
The Glenmorangie is an old friend, the other 2 are new to me.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:37 PM
AO Sponsor

All excellent bottles sir... Well done!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-14-2020, 10:11 PM

Good Lord man! All top shelf! That 21 Balvenie Portwood is fantastic stuff. I haven't tried the glenfarclas but heard great reports on it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-15-2020, 09:11 AM

I was talked into a 21 glenfarclas and the Macallan edition#3 from the chateau Louis. For some reason now I don’t really want to leave the house
Old 08-17-2020, 02:50 PM

I like the Glendronnach and Balvenie 12 year, but lately I've been drinking more blended whiskies. I actually really like the Dewars 12 year. That stuff goes down reall smooth.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:50 PM

Not sure if this is a scotch whiskey. Have any of you tried the “Eau De Musc” whiskey produced by the Tamworth Distillery in New Hampshire. It is said that it has a very desirable taste which it get from using the beaver secretion glad (castor) as a natural ingredient. Price is $70 us for 200ml. Thinking of trying this and thought I’d reach out to someone with a educated palate.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Not sure if this is a scotch whiskey. Have any of you tried the “Eau De Musc” whiskey produced by the Tamworth Distillery in New Hampshire. It is said that it has a very desirable taste which it get from using the beaver secretion glad (castor) as a natural ingredient. Price is $70 us for 200ml. Thinking of trying this and thought I’d reach out to someone with a educated palate.
It may be a good whiskey, but it can't be Scotch....only whisky that is made in Scotland with water and malted barley (and other cereals are allowed but it's not often done) and spends a minimum of 3 years aging in an oak barrel of less than 700 litres... is scotch. There are plenty of great whiskies that come from places besides Scotland though, so don't let that technicality hinder you. I've had some great drams from India, Taiwan (really!! The Kavalan Solist is phenomenal!), and from Tasmania (Lark was really really good).

Having said that....castor....as in castor oil....errrrr.....I'm pretty open minded but have some bad memories of castor oil. Maybe it's not the same stuff. Let us know what you think, I'm very curious. I'm going to google it and see what I can find, it sounds interesting to say the least. TC

Edit: Eau De Musc is a bourbon. The Distiller's App review gives it a rating of 84, which would make it a good whiskey, not a great whiskey. It sounds like the castor doesn't make it too funky, with a short finish. Tasting notes typical of bourbon. $70 for 200 ml....pretty steep for an whiskey with an 84 rating. Its sounds a bit gimicky. Better bourbons for less $ to be had. I would try for a novelty at a tasting bar, but probably wouldn't buy.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 08-17-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:42 PM

They are all S--T and I will take them off your hands, where do you live? EH!!!!
Old 08-17-2020, 10:41 PM

It’s not castor oil but the castor juices that are excreted from the anis of the beaver.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
It’s not castor oil but the castor juices that are excreted from the anis of the beaver.
Ah. Well, that would make it better.

I think you should try it, why not? I would be curious to hear your tasting report, honestly.

I've had some interesting spirits over the years that on paper sounded awful but were quite good. Case in point, I had some vodka when in Tasmania that is made locally. The fellow uses sheep whey, left over from making the sheep cheese. And it was excellent, perhaps the best vodka I have ever had.

It is called Hartshorn Vodka. We celebrated with it after catching our bluefin tuna.

https://grandvewe.com.au/product/sheep-whey-vodka/

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 08-17-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:13 PM

Any reports on the Costco Kirkland 12 year Scotch? I’ve been eyeing up one of those massive bottles. Would hate to buy it and not like it. What’s your guys reviews?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2020, 12:55 PM

Our neighbours just moved back to the UK and we inherited their entire liquor collection

They're British, so lots of interesting bottles of gin (looking forward to making my first sloe gin fizz), vermouth, Russian Standard Platinum vodka, various flavoured whiskeys, etc. They drank their top shelf scotch before they left, which I do not blame them at all, but we did inherit an unopened bottle of this:

https://scotchwhisky.com/whiskypedia...vL0oFGaXo6lZiQ

Anyone try it?
Old 08-18-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty99 View Post
Any reports on the Costco Kirkland 12 year Scotch? I’ve been eyeing up one of those massive bottles. Would hate to buy it and not like it. What’s your guys reviews?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's just OK. Much like a 12 year Glenfiddich to my taste. Great for rusty nails!
Old 08-18-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Our neighbours just moved back to the UK and we inherited their entire liquor collection

They're British, so lots of interesting bottles of gin (looking forward to making my first sloe gin fizz), vermouth, Russian Standard Platinum vodka, various flavoured whiskeys, etc. They drank their top shelf scotch before they left, which I do not blame them at all, but we did inherit an unopened bottle of this:

https://scotchwhisky.com/whiskypedia...vL0oFGaXo6lZiQ

Anyone try it?
Haven't tried that one but their Peat Monster is decent.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:03 PM

Son's birthday whisky collection sells for £44,000
Old 09-08-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I saw that story. When I read it, I was thinking that if that had been my collection, my 18th birthday party would have been epic!!

Great collection though, hope he gets what he is after, or more.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:32 PM

You scotch fans should watch the movie “scotch” its on amazon. It a pretty good.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:44 PM

Bowmore 12
39.00 at superstore
Old 09-13-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Bowmore 12
39.00 at superstore
Oh! That's really good, will go grab a couple of those! Thanks for the heads up!

Old 09-13-2020, 06:00 PM

The clerk said the sale might end today
Old 09-13-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
The clerk said the sale might end today
Well that's not gonna work! Dang.....

Old 09-13-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Bowmore 12
39.00 at superstore
That's a great deal, thank you.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:41 PM

I had an ad for an estate sale pop up on my FaceBook feed and it has a number of bottles of scotch in it, as well as a variety of wine. I thought I'd pass it along to you ruffians

This is a well established auction house, my Dad used to buy antiques there in the 1980's and I used to do work at the family's homes back when I worked for my Dad's company.

https://frankhallestatesales.hibid.c...october-2020/?
Old 09-29-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I had an ad for an estate sale pop up on my FaceBook feed and it has a number of bottles of scotch in it, as well as a variety of wine. I thought I'd pass it along to you ruffians

This is a well established auction house, my Dad used to buy antiques there in the 1980's and I used to do work at the family's homes back when I worked for my Dad's company.

https://frankhallestatesales.hibid.c...october-2020/?
Just browsing through, there are some nice bottles of Glenrothes, Oban, Talisker, Aberlour....the wine collection is very extensive, that's not my forté, but someone who knows wine might find some really good bottles there.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:10 PM

i know some of you scotch drinkers might be very offended at this but personally I am really enjoying a couple of drops of angustura bitters with my whiskeys, adds a nice little spice. Added bonus if you have some cheap whiskey that aint so good it makes it more palatable
Old 10-11-2020, 10:25 PM

If it's cheap whiskey (whisky) it won't hurt my feelings any. And people can splash coke in if they like.

But if someone does that to a really fine whisky....you lose your man card. That is all.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
If it's cheap whiskey (whisky) it won't hurt my feelings any. And people can splash coke in if they like.

But if someone does that to a really fine whisky....you lose your man card. That is all.
Haha I concur. Btw running an 18 year dalmore. I still find the dalmore very hard to beat