Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 08:33 PM

Default Birdies Home Sweet Home is Protected – Sewer Replacement Project can Proceed

Town of Sylvan approved a $3.2M – 53rd St Redevelopment Project, work started this week, part of the project is to remove a number of trees and replace the sewer line to the Sylvan Golf & CC, next to our condo complex. The project engineer can to see me, this portion of the work was put on HOLD the other day due to 2 Tree Swallows chicks that are still in my Birdie Log House. I imagine they’ll both be gone in a week or so, then I’ll remove the Bird House & the tree removal crew can come in to take the 80 ft poplar down & the excavators can get to work. Was told the Town will be monitoring closely, as they should. Will miss the Poplar tree next season, need to find a suitable piece of pipe to hang the nest box to. Hopefully when they return next year, they can move right in again.

Wasn’t aware the Province had legislation to protect small nesting birds, makes sense though.

A few pic’s … cheers.

D.

Tie a Pink Ribbon ....

Male on Guard Duty ....

Huey & Dewey no Louie

This one's almost ready to fly ....

Old 07-04-2020, 09:01 PM

Great pictures.
Sucks for you for the sewer line expansion.

Just 2 days ago we sold our house in Sylvan, and I’m glad it is gone it is a super expensive town to own property, high taxes, super high base rate for utilities ( water sewer and garbage). And the town office people don’t even answer the phone and you have to leave a message and hopefully you get a call back a day or two later..
Old 07-05-2020, 11:21 AM

FYI

It’s not provincial legislation, it’s federal.
Migratory bird act.

Usually engineering firms do construction outside the window of birds that have young in nest (usually fall/winter).

It was an unspoken rule until about 5 years ago. Now everyone is following the rules.
I did think it was a pain at first, But all it takes is a little more planning.
I am all for it. Birds are a big part of a healthy ecosystem.

Thumbs up to you for the nice habitat your making.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
FYI

It’s not provincial legislation, it’s federal.
Migratory bird act.

Usually engineering firms do construction outside the window of birds that have young in nest (usually fall/winter).

It was an unspoken rule until about 5 years ago. Now everyone is following the rules.
I did think it was a pain at first, But all it takes is a little more planning.
I am all for it. Birds are a big part of a healthy ecosystem.

Thumbs up to you for the nice habitat your making.

Many Tks for the informative post, I thought the Act mainly applied to large birds such as Eagles, Falcons, Owls etc. not small birds like Swallows, learned something new today.

The two chicks departed the nest box this afternoon, the family hung around flying in circles and then moved on, took the nest box down, hope to see them back next year.

Notified the Town's P. Eng, the tree removal contractor can proceed accordingly.

Cheers

David