Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Banned

Default Let’s talk Cannabis

We have about 36 days until Cannabis is legal for everyone over the legal age to use. There are many grey areas that have not been put on paper yet and lots of new questions that no one can seem to answer.

For myself, even as a medical user there is nothing really on paper to tell me what I can and can’t do. For example, smoking in public places. As a medical user I can use cannabis where ever smoking is allowed but I rarely ever do and when I do I’m responsible about it. So what defines a public place you can smoke or vape at exactly? Your guess is as good as mine. What’s your thoughts on this ?

Regarding cannibis and the workplace.
Something has to change in regards to drug testing. The only thing people are talking about is people coming to work impaired all the time. Realistically and for many this is unlikely. My job is indeed a safety sensitive position and I use cannabis most every night. I am a mature adult with a family and bills to pay so being impaired on the job is not something I take lightly. I am always on time, never miss work nor have I ever hurt myself on the job. Basically my cannabis use does not effect my job at all. I just received another full year prescription from my doctor and I don’t plan on changing anything I do right now. Besides that fact drug screening is fairly simple to beat if you are wise. So what is the point unless someone is under the influence?

I feel the stigma around cannabis use is slowly shifting but not entirely. Just the other day while walking my dog one of my neighbors complained to me while I was using it. No kids were around or else I would have put it away. Anyways he says if he sees me doing it again he’s calling the cops. I politely said I’m a medical user and explained to him how people like myself can file a discrimination case with human rights if harassed too much. He didn’t have a reply but his face went red.

Anyways what are people thoughts on this topic good or bad let’s hear your opinion on everything cannabis
Old 09-10-2018, 08:42 PM

Like everything the Liberal government has touched, it is a total fiasco.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:57 PM

I take it in oil medically for my hip. It has been a God send. I think if they made it available as an edible for recreational users it would solve a lot of problems. People are more health conscience and an edible is better than smoking. Hopefully the prices come down for the medical stuff as production ramps up. If I could get an oil recreationally cheaper than the medical I would certainly do that.

I was skeptical when I started it. It took about a month to ease the pain and I assumed that the hip improved on it's own because it took so long. Once I quite it only took a couple of days for the pain to flair up again. I got relief almost immediately the second time I started, I'm a believer now.

I would like to see it treated as cigarettes, same rules. Hell I would like vaping to be treated as cigarettes.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Like everything the Liberal government has touched, it is a total fiasco.
I'll second that ! A fiasco , just like everything else they touch, major crap will happen over this one too.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:59 PM

Its going to be interesting, everybody has different rules
The good news it's legal the bad news is the only place you can smoke is at home if you own your home. How many police are going to needed to write out tickets?
The government's selling price is higher than street price with rules attached that could be a problem.

Manitoba released their rules today, no growing and no smoking in government campsites.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ines-1.4817443

It will be interesting how this will play out
Old 09-10-2018, 09:06 PM

nmd
Old 09-10-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I take it in oil medically for my hip. It has been a God send. I think if they made it available as an edible for recreational users it would solve a lot of problems. People are more health conscience and an edible is better than smoking. Hopefully the prices come down for the medical stuff as production ramps up. If I could get an oil recreationally cheaper than the medical I would certainly do that.

I was skeptical when I started it. It took about a month to ease the pain and I assumed that the hip improved on it's own because it took so long. Once I quite it only took a couple of days for the pain to flair up again. I got relief almost immediately the second time I started, I'm a believer now.

I would like to see it treated as cigarettes, same rules. Hell I would like vaping to be treated as cigarettes.
Hey pikergolf. When you say oil is this cbd oil? Or is there thc in it? Does it give you the 'high' or just relieve the pain.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Its going to be interesting, everybody has different rules
The good news it's legal the bad news is the only place you can smoke is at home if you own your homet
Unless you’re on Whyte Ave
Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
We have about 36 days until Cannabis is legal for everyone over the legal age to use. There are many grey areas that have not been put on paper yet and lots of new questions that no one can seem to answer.

For myself, even as a medical user there is nothing really on paper to tell me what I can and can’t do. For example, smoking in public places. As a medical user I can use cannabis where ever smoking is allowed but I rarely ever do and when I do I’m responsible about it. So what defines a public place you can smoke or vape at exactly? Your guess is as good as mine. What’s your thoughts on this ?

Something has to change in regards to drug testing. The only thing people are talking about is people coming to work impaired all the time. Realistically and for many this is unlikely. My job is indeed a safety sensitive position and I use cannabis most every night. I am a mature adult with a family and bills to pay so being impaired on the job is not something I take lightly. I am always on time, never miss work nor have I ever hurt myself on the job. Basically my cannabis use does not effect my job at all. I just received another full year prescription from my doctor and I don’t plan on changing anything I do right now. Besides that fact drug screening is fairly simple to beat if you are wise. So what is the point unless someone is under the influence?

I feel the stigma around cannabis use is slowly shifting but not entirely. Just the other day while walking my dog one of my neighbors complained to me while I was using it. No kids were around or else I would have put it away. Anyways he says if he sees me doing it again he’s calling the cops. I politely said I’m a medical user and explained to him how people like myself can file a discrimination case with human rights if harassed too much. He didn’t have a reply but his face went red.

Anyways what are people thoughts on this topic good or bad let’s hear your opinion on everything cannabis
I never tried drugs in my life so could you tell me if this true?
“Using marijuana occasionally can impair your short-term memory as well as your ability to form new memories while high. But the effect is temporary, and memory function returns to normal after you sober up.”

https://www.leafscience.com/2017/05/...na-and-memory/
Old 09-10-2018, 09:59 PM

Cant see it affecting me in the least

I really have no opinion. I just dont care
Old 09-10-2018, 10:45 PM

Next summer when the wether is nice a couple friends and I will get together and smoke some. Just to try it. Then I’ll go back to buying rum and ammo with my money.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:53 PM

Don’t see much changing in regards to your personal time when it’s legal, other than you’ll be able to buy it in the store, and really who cares. Like pride parades and the LGBTQ community, if you’re into that sort of thing, good for you. The parades and protests are unnessecary because nobody cares. People have been using cannabis and have had different sexual orientations for ages.

If you look at it this way, cannabis has been legal for years. Responsible people use it discretely as it is because of the stigma around it. These people never get in trouble with the law because they are responsible about it (not hotboxing their car, not walking down the street smoking one and drawing attention to themselves etc....)

When its legal, these principles are still going to apply. You’re still not going to be able to drive while high, and you’re only going to be able to smoke it in the privacy of you’re own home. Don’t know why users are making a big deal of this whole cannabis legalization, there are still going to be responsible users and irresponsible users regardless. The irresponsible users will pay the price

Now where the major changes will come, will be in the workplace. How thats going to look and over what period of time its going to take, will be very interesting
Old 09-11-2018, 12:33 AM

I have a friend that smokes all the time. He uses it as pain suppressant cause he hurt his back in the military. It does have uses
Old 09-11-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I'll second that ! A fiasco , just like everything else they touch, major crap will happen over this one too.
X3. I personally couldn't care less, but the way turDOPE has gone about this is really irresponsible. I'm going to legalize it( for my own political benefit ), and the provinces can deal with all the bull%#&*!
Keep calm and smoke on!
Old 09-11-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Hey pikergolf. When you say oil is this cbd oil? Or is there thc in it? Does it give you the 'high' or just relieve the pain.
I take .7ml of 10/10 THC and CBD with .3ml of 18/0 THC about 2 hrs before bed. They say it takes about 2 hrs to kick in. I don't feel high when I go to bed and I sleep well the first 4 hrs, so I don't know if it makes me high, I'm sleeping.

Don't take it during the day as the pain is not really bad during the day, just stiff and uncomfortable. I was taking more CBD and less THC initially but my councilor recommended more THC for better relief. It worked.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-11-2018, 06:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I never tried drugs in my life so could you tell me if this true?
“Using marijuana occasionally can impair your short-term memory as well as your ability to form new memories while high. But the effect is temporary, and memory function returns to normal after you sober up.”

https://www.leafscience.com/2017/05/...na-and-memory/
You answered your own question with the link you provided. Yes your short term memory while high can be impaired. As a medical user I don’t want to remember being in pain anyways. For me it is very traumatic every time my chronic injury nails me a good blow. Serious feelings that my career is over and it’s not going to subside this time and luckily enough I always jump back on the wagon in a couple days. I’m not so sure it will always be that way however. It creates a lot of anxiety and panic dealing with my type of injury.
With memory impairment It really all depends how much a person consumes along with many other factors as each persons experience can have very different results. When I use a sativa, which causes a very cerebral high, my memory is amazing with a light dosage. For myself or so I think anyways the effects on my memory are gone when the buzz wears off. I find that I take many pictures and videos while I am impaired along with writing my thoughts down. This forum helps a lot lol! I can’t count how many times reading back on threads I’ve replied to thinking what the heck was I thinking there
Old 09-11-2018, 07:46 AM

As a non-user, I would hope that any restrictions are not more severe than alcohol. I would actually be in favor of more acceptance for public use as I do not really see a downside to folks smoking it in public as long as they follow the same courtesy that a tobacco smoker would to minimize 2nd hand smoke to non-smokers.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:15 AM

I don't think they have a clue how to deal with medical users and impaired driving. People quickly develop an immunity to the high and the stuff stays in your blood for a long time.

A medical user like above may be well over the legal level on the way to work if he used before bed and had a build up in his system. He would be no more impaired than anyone else but subject to arrest.

One could use at a house party, have a nice dinner with friends, watch a movie and be as sober as a judge on the way home...yet well over the legal limit.

Because alcohol is not prescribed as medication, this has not been a problem as far as law enforcement. If they start arresting cancer patients on the way home from the hospital it is going to hit the fan.

I also think the new rules for the military are discriminatory. Cannabis has a mental calming effect for many that are completely stressed out. It allows one sleep after a very stressful day instead of lying awake driving yourself crazy. It is the lack of eating and sleeping that drives folks over the edge. I believe some of the medical benefits are placebo but cannabis most certainly encourages proper eating, sleeping and general well being in lots of people.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post

I have come accross this before in the work place. The employee was tested for a baseline and was sent back to the doctor for a note to say that the baseline levels are acceptable to work as an equipment operator. The doctor said no smoking of any cannibas product within 12 hours of operating equipment and the level of the base line was unacceptable to operate equipment. He was dismissed for being impaired. This was a medical cannibas situation and the doctor would not take the liability. Shift was 12 hrs a day 6 days a week so he could only smoke weed on sat. After work until 7pm on sunday evening
Old 09-11-2018, 08:33 AM

I'm wondering how it will change in the workplace.

Some sites we go to for work do testing before hand but from what I understand it can detected it in your system from weeks before. I'd hate to try it on my days off then get nailed for it on a test.

Are employers going to have to change testing to evaluate if you are currently impaired or are they just going to make it a condition of employment, if you want to work here you can't smoke even on days off.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:41 AM

My current position is deemed safety sensitive, therefore it’s zero tolerence for any intoxicants.
We are also subject to just cause and post incident drug and alcohol testing too.

It ain’t worth the risk IMO.

Not like I was a user or even an experimenter anyways.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-11-2018, 08:46 AM

Those are current workplace rules. They will need to adapt to a new substance becoming legal. Employers will need to use new testing practices that determine if you are currently impaired or not. Not a urine test that shows you used a legal substance three weeks previous.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
My current position is deemed safety sensitive, therefore it’s zero tolerence for any intoxicants.
We are also subject to just cause and post incident drug and alcohol testing too.

It ain’t worth the risk IMO.

Not like I was a user or even an experimenter anyways.
Mine is too. That was where the question came from. Not if you would be allowed to do it at work.

If you tried a smoke with some buddies while out camping on your week off then came back a few days later to work, no longer impaired. It would still show up on current testing (from what I understand).

I was asking if that would change.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Those are current workplace rules. They will need to adapt to a new substance becoming legal. Employers will need to use new testing practices that determine if you are currently impaired or not. Not a urine test that shows you used a legal substance three weeks previous.
Nope, this is what it is, since determining any functional level of impairment isn’t currently readable, it’s zero tolerance.

This is the mess that the pending situation has presented to employers. If they can’t say or test for a specific concentration, then it’s simple. Any level is un acceptable. FWIW the BAC for alcohol in my work place is 0.02, that’s like sniffing a cap full of liquor, so it’s pretty much stone cold sober.

When billion dollar equipment and processes, along with human lives potentially being at risk, I’d say a zero tollerence policy is likely the best choice.

Picture a 215,000 HP machine taken out of service for an overhaul. Would you trust the isolating and inerting of this machine to workers other than those who are totally sober? Especially if you’re one of the guys who are going to work on this machine!

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 09-11-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Nope, this is what it is, since determining any functional level of impairment isn’t currently readable, it’s zero tolerance.

This is the mess that the pending situation has presented to employers. If they can’t say or test for a specific concentration, then it’s simple. Any level is un acceptable. FWIW the BAC for alcohol in my work place is 0.02, that’s like sniffing a cap full of liquor, so it’s pretty much stone cold sober.

When billion dollar equipment and processes, along with human lives potentially being at risk, I’d say a zero tollerence policy is likely the best choice.
Nope. This is it what it is now. Not what it will be. Zero tolerance on being impaired in a safety senstitive position is correct.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Nope. This is it what it is now. Not what it will be. Zero tolerance on being impaired in a safety senstitive position is correct.
This is what our company has decreed in last few months in reaction to the pending change in law. So until the technology evolves, I see it not changing.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-11-2018, 09:32 AM

I'm sure there's some lawyers wringing their hands in anticipation of the upcoming legal challenges in the workplace. Should employers be allowed to dictate what their employees can legally do on weekends because there's no reliable test for impairment?
What is the definition of a safety "sensitive position" will be another debated point employers call everything from office worker to burger flipper safety sensitive.
The Liberals should have had all this fixed before legalization it's going to be a train wreck.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
This is what our company has decreed in last few months in reaction to the pending change in law. So until the technology evolves, I see it not changing.
There is saliva tests that will account for a window of near 4 hours of exposure to the substance if inhaled or ingested orally.

There still are legal cases which have not been resolved, so I would imagine your company and others may change their policies to avoid potential future issues.

Any substance used in moderation is acceptable in my way of thinking. What worries me is the space cadets on pharmaceutical legal feel good crap that is pumped into society to calm the masses.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I'm sure there's some lawyers wringing their hands in anticipation of the upcoming legal challenges in the workplace. Should employers be allowed to dictate what their employees can legally do on weekends because there's no reliable test for impairment?
What is the definition of a safety "sensitive position" will be another debated point employers call everything from office worker to burger flipper safety sensitive.
The Liberals should have had all this fixed before legalization it's going to be a train wreck.
Ed Zackerly

There are no absolutes
Old 09-11-2018, 11:54 AM

Default medical use

I have glaucoma and my wife has fibromyalgia. these are 2 that cannabis is supposed to be used for. I asked my opthomologist about it last year and he seemed rather uptight about recommending it. He suggested that I would be high all day controlling the pressure in my eyes as well as my wife trying to control fibromyalgia pain and getting a good sleep. I suspected his view as well as many others was prejudiced against the stigma of using MJ rather than the facts as I have known some former law enforcement people who I thought would be prejudiced against use that have recently found pretty consistent relief from chronic pain.
Wanted to do my own research rather than rely on the opinions of others including doctors that I suspected may have preconceived ideas about use.
Wife ordered Cannibis Pharmacy from the library for me. Book makes it clear that research has been hampered for 50 years by fact that studies were limited by government regulation so most information has been gleaned from Dutch or English studies.
The possibilities are actually quite impressive including seizure relief in children that don't respond to anything else. Other researched uses include everything from PTSD to cancer and the long list goes on.
They were very specific that sativa varieties are high in THC which is generally associated with the euphoric high while indica varieties have smaller THC but higher CBD used for medical use. Seems some THC makes the CBD work better and there are 2 other active ingredients in some varieties that also influence the popularity for certain uses. So if governments are designing tests for detecting THC and the medical patients are using CBD varieties there may be no problems with medical use on the job or within a short period of time after use. I can see all kinds of legal challenges ahead that will ultimately determine the final stance on detection.