Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 12:49 PM

Default What exactly am I allow to hunt?

Hello all I am brand new to hunting and have just recently purchased a game bird license I'm just wondering if all bird hunting is only allow in the fall and spring ? Are there any birds I'm allowed to hunt now in July ?

Thanks,

Ethan
Old 07-21-2018, 01:09 PM

delete
Old 07-21-2018, 01:09 PM

Hello Ethan ... since your new to hunting the first thing you should do is go pick up a few sets of hunting regulations and read it from cover to cover multiple times to get yourself oriantated with the laws and seasons ..
Old 07-21-2018, 01:17 PM

Also have you taken a hunter education course ??
Old 07-21-2018, 01:44 PM

scary. Just scary.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:53 PM

Find a mentor to take you out and show you the many skills you will need to learn. Taking a course is nothing compared to hands on with guidance.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:00 PM

^^Unless your mentor doesn’t know what he or she is doing or the laws .. that’s a good reason why we have so many rediculous questions on the site on a daily basis ..take the course , read the regs no excuse for foolish questions
Old 07-21-2018, 02:15 PM

Im taking a wild guess here, but flamesfan4life97 may be born in 1997 and if so being that he is 21 years old may just have finally finished the busy life and low funds of being in high school and has finally matured enough and gotten some cash to spend that he wants to start experiencing the better parts of life. Being that he is fresh into the sport he may not even know anyone to ask his questions to. Flames fan may indicate the he has been raised by a hockey fan family and may not have anyone he is close to who is a hunter. Using the habits from school to practice his technological skills and communication and the hard work ethic to do his own homework he came to a forum of a bunch of people who are already in the sport that he has an interest to get involved in. So maybe he is trying the only place he can find right now.

All just a guess though.

Last edited by Nyksta; 07-21-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan4life97 View Post
Hello all I am brand new to hunting and have just recently purchased a game bird license I'm just wondering if all bird hunting is only allow in the fall and spring ? Are there any birds I'm allowed to hunt now in July ?

Thanks,

Ethan
are you for real
Old 07-21-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Ethan
Do you know a farmer? Most farmyards have unwanted pigeons around and you could shoot those. It would help you practise for when the game bird seasons open up. Right now gamebirds are raising their young and so the seasons are closed. You could also shoot clays for practise.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Im taking a wild guess here, but flamesfan4life97 may be born in 1997 and if so being that he is 21 years old may just have finally finished the busy life and low funds of being in high school and has finally matured enough and gotten some cash to spend that he wants to start experiencing the better parts of life. Being that he is fresh into the sport he may not even know anyone to ask his questions to. Flames fan may indicate the he has been raised by a hockey fan family and may not have anyone he is close to who is a hunter. Using the habits from school to practice his technological skills and communication and the hard work ethic to do his own homework he came to a forum of a bunch of people who are already in the sport that he has an interest to get involved in. So maybe he is trying the only place he can find right now.

All just a guess though.

I was going to go with just "Flames Fan" summing it up but hey.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:48 PM

And we wonder why more people aren’t becoming hunters. Too hard for someone to get help, especially when they are so green. Too many selfish people that are smart asses or don’t wanna give away their “secrets”
Unfortunate.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:00 PM
Banned

Here's the other of his two posts to date, posted 07-19-2018, two days before his post today. Give the kid a break, at least he's asking and not out poaching.
Who knows, maybe he's never posted in a forum before either.

Quote:
Hello all I am a 20 year old guy named Ethan. I am just looking to get into hunting and learning all the basics. If there is anyone here who's brain I could pick with some questions that would be awesome! Also if there is anyone interested in being a mentor I would love to listen and learn from you. You can either PM me here or feel free to email me at ethanr90@hotmail.com. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ethan
Old 07-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
And we wonder why more people aren’t becoming hunters. Too hard for someone to get help, especially when they are so green. Too many selfish people that are smart asses or don’t wanna give away their “secrets”
Unfortunate.
I think the reason is much more that people don't want to put the effort in to learn about hunting. How much effort do you think it would have taken to
check the regs and learn the answer to the question posted by the OP.........about 1 minute or so.

If the OP had read the regulations but just wanted an interpretation he would have got some information. Many including myself are getting a little tired of all the internet hunters who want to know where to go, what to do, what to use etc without putting in even a minimal amount of effort.

Last edited by bobalong; 07-21-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:27 PM
Banned

Ethan,

I'm not sure how exactly you were able to pass the hunters exucation course but in any case from the sounds of things I really do hope you take the time to go online and read the hunting regulations, maybe follow that up with grabbing a hard copy from Canadian tire or Cabelas or any other retailer that sells licenses. Finding a mentor will help out quite a bit and I'm sure there will be members here who would be willing to help you out further.

Here is a link to the 2017 hunting regulations, it'll give you most information you need however try to find a 2018 copy of regulations before you head out into the field. Good luck hunting this FALL

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
Old 07-21-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Do you know a farmer? Most farmyards have unwanted pigeons around and you could shoot those. It would help you practise for when the game bird seasons open up. Right now gamebirds are raising their young and so the seasons are closed. You could also shoot clays for practise.
Thoughtful responses like the one above give the OP some options for getting out there and preparing for the season.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:18 PM
Banned

You need a mentor my friend
Old 07-21-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I think the reason is much more that people don't want to put the effort in to learn about hunting. How much effort do you think it would have taken to
check the regs and learn the answer to the question posted by the OP.........about 1 minute or so.

If the OP had read the regulations but just wanted an interpretation he would have got some information. Many including myself are getting a little tired of all the internet hunters who want to know where to go, what to do, what to use etc without putting in even a minimal amount of effort.
Yes may god strike them all down for not knowing. If only the newbs had a place to ask questions and try to seek advice on a sport they are new to without bothering us with their questions. Some sort of a hunting forum would probably foot the bill.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:38 PM

What a sad bunch of replies.

FlamesFan, send a pm with your phone number. I'll call and help you out.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ethan,

I'm not sure how exactly you were able to pass the hunters exucation course but in any case from the sounds of things I really do hope you take the time to go online and read the hunting regulations, maybe follow that up with grabbing a hard copy from Canadian tire or Cabelas or any other retailer that sells licenses. Finding a mentor will help out quite a bit and I'm sure there will be members here who would be willing to help you out further.

Here is a link to the 2017 hunting regulations, it'll give you most information you need however try to find a 2018 copy of regulations before you head out into the field. Good luck hunting this FALL

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
The last time I looked thru the Hunters Ed course (a few years now) I was surprised that it contained very, very little regarding the regs. I understand they can change yearly , but they should at least make an attempt to emphasize a little more how important they are
Old 07-21-2018, 05:45 PM

Default New Hunter

Hello Ethan
Welcome to the AO forum. There is a lot of experience and knowledge available on this forum to help you reach your goal of becoming a hunter.
I would be happy, and honoured, to answer any questions or to help you in any other way I can. I was young and green once myself and I’m still very grateful to those that helped me on my way.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:19 PM

And to answer your question Ethen,

this is a list on non-licence birds that are hunt-able year round.

Columba livia [Rock Dove (Pigeon)]
Streptopelia decaocto (Eurasian Collared‑Dove)
Pica hudsonia (Black‑billed Magpie)
Corvus brachyrhynchos (American Crow)
Sturnus vulgaris (European Starling)
Agelaius phoeniceus (Red‑winged Blackbird)
Xanthocephalus
xanthocephalus (Yellow‑headed Blackbird)
Euphagus cyanocephalus (Brewer’s Blackbird)
Quiscalus quiscula (Common Grackle)
Molothrus ater (Brown‑headed Cowbird)
Passer domesticus (House Sparrow)

Any hybrid offspring resulting from the crossing of 2 non‑licence animals

Take note hunters, Eurasian Collared Doves are now LEGAL to hunt/trap!

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post

could've simply not replied.

Ethan, looks like you've gotta a couple good offers from members willing to lend their knowledge. Hope you get all the knowledge you need to start, lots of stuff out there learn!
Old 07-21-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
What a sad bunch of replies.

FlamesFan, send a pm with your phone number. I'll call and help you out.
Here's a class act Ethan.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
And to answer your question Ethen,

this is a list on non-licence birds that are hunt-able year round.

Columba livia [Rock Dove (Pigeon)]
Streptopelia decaocto (Eurasian Collared‑Dove)
Pica hudsonia (Black‑billed Magpie)
Corvus brachyrhynchos (American Crow)
Sturnus vulgaris (European Starling)
Agelaius phoeniceus (Red‑winged Blackbird)
Xanthocephalus
xanthocephalus (Yellow‑headed Blackbird)
Euphagus cyanocephalus (Brewer’s Blackbird)
Quiscalus quiscula (Common Grackle)
Molothrus ater (Brown‑headed Cowbird)
Passer domesticus (House Sparrow)

Any hybrid offspring resulting from the crossing of 2 non‑licence animals

Take note hunters, Eurasian Collared Doves are now LEGAL to hunt/trap!
Thanks
Old 07-21-2018, 10:27 PM

Sounds like a few of our members here were born with a head full of knowledge and experience.

Ethan, keep doing some reading and researching and it looks like a few guys have made some efforts to get you on the right path. Enjoy your new pursuit and ignore the salty old farts on here.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:13 AM

Can you drive? I could take you on a duck hunt this fall
Old 07-22-2018, 06:38 AM

Have you read the hunting,regulations, the firearms regulations, and have you read the Petty Trespass act? Not only do you need to know what you are legally be allowed to hunt, you need to learn all of the regulations concerning firearms, and when and where you can hunt. As a new hunter, you are responsible to learn all regulations, and ignorance of the regulations is not acceptable as an excuse for violating them. So you can't learn the regulations as you hunt, you need to learn them all, before you set foot in the field to hunt for the very first time. And there is no possible way to learn them all by asking questions on a forum, you can't possibly think of enough questions to ask, to learn them all. None of us are born knowing all of the regulations, but those of us that want to avoid violating them, have made the effort to learn them all, and to keep watching for any changes.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
You need a mentor my friend
He/she is reaching out now....hunters Ed, read the regs, that's a start.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-22-2018, 06:59 AM

Ethan, posting your location might help you hook up with some one local to you.