Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
What do you mean basically lost 4-1? The final score was 4-2.

A ridiculous comment only you would make - the final score was 4-2 and none of Croatia's goals came with any controversy.

Are you saying the error Lloris made handling the ball shouldn't have counted? Really?

No point in talking about this if this is too far beyond your capacity to read and understand my comments and opinion, which is, and was, BTW shared by a huge number of sports writers, newspapers, etc...

It's real simple ....

1) 2 of those call were that led to French goals are controversial. That same story line is all over the press - so it's not just my "stupid opinion". I'm just calling it as I see it - I have no skin in the game.

2) Croatia absolutely controlled the game and maintained possession and out shot France albeit, did not do enough to put quality shots on the net and test Llorris - so they didn't get it done. Many press reports also said Croatia controlled the game. Despite that, they didn't do enough to put the ball in the net and were unable to recover from those 2 controversial calls.

3) Anyone who knows football knows the reason France was able to open up and attack later (and score the last 2 goals) in the game from the right side where Mbappe attacked was because they moved his mark, Ivan Peresic, who was playing in the 6 position, who is the only one with enough pace to keep up with him, had to be pulled off his assignment and put on the attack as Croatia was behind. Before that France did not recorded one shot on target only in open play - they presented ZERO threat before that. Watch the game again and you will understand.

Either way we don't agree simply because this is beyond your understanding. that much is clear to me.
Of course the goal counts........have you been into the sauce all day? It was a bobble by the goalie and was a gimmie goal hardly earned (but counts) except in your mind.

There you go with your disrespectful comments again, it appears it is the only way you can debate is to start calling names when your wrong. My understanding and comprehension are just fine and that is what really bugs you is to be called out on things you think you know about....when you clearly do not.
It has been amusing watching you try and justify your knowledge, but once again you have failed miserably. I will waste no more time on you as I seldom waste time on members who try and justify their opinions by name calling/insults.

Last edited by bobalong; 07-15-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:30 PM

Congrats to France. It would be very hard to be a Croatian fan right now. It's a beautiful game and this was the best tournament to date.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:30 PM

Looking forward to the next World cup and will be watching qualifying matches. It's been amazing to watch strong teams not be able to put it together, lower ranked "weaker" teams become more competitive as development programs around the world benefit from sharing knowledge and technical training.

The top 30 teams will continue to be tight.

The talent of the individual players plays a factor, without a doubt, but it was interesting to me to see a number of teams execute near tactical perfection (like Japan) yet few of their players would/could be classified as "starting 11's" in big clubs like France, Germany, Croatia, Italy, Spain etc...

I predict the next world cup to have even more surprises.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
What do you mean basically lost 4-1? The final score was 4-2.

A ridiculous comment only you would make - the final score was 4-2 and none of Croatia's goals came with any controversy.

Are you saying the error Lloris made handling the ball shouldn't have counted? Really?

No point in talking about this if this is too far beyond your capacity to read and understand my comments and opinion, which is, and was, BTW shared by a huge number of sports writers, newspapers, etc...

It's real simple ....

1) 2 of those call were that led to French goals are controversial. That same story line is all over the press - so it's not just my "stupid opinion". I'm just calling it as I see it - I have no skin in the game.

2) Croatia absolutely controlled the game and maintained possession and out shot France albeit, did not do enough to put quality shots on the net and test Llorris - so they didn't get it done. Many press reports also said Croatia controlled the game. Despite that, they didn't do enough to put the ball in the net and were unable to recover from those 2 controversial calls.

3) Anyone who knows football knows the reason France was able to open up and attack later (and score the last 2 goals) in the game from the right side where Mbappe attacked was because they moved his mark, Ivan Peresic, who was playing in the 6 position, who is the only one with enough pace to keep up with him, had to be pulled off his assignment and put on the attack as Croatia was behind. Before that France did not recorded one shot on target only in open play - they presented ZERO threat before that. Watch the game again and you will understand.

Either way we don't agree simply because this is beyond your understanding. that much is clear to me.

I do not want to disrespect the France team, they won the game, nor do I want to pee on their efforts. Congratulations to France and the team. Let's move on.
From a person that watched almost every game this World Cup, I can tell you Croatia did play well. They played very well with the team that they had. They have never made it this far from what I know, but one thing did upset me; they tackle and kick too much. Just comparing it to England and Belgium yesterday, you can see the huge difference. If Croats didn't play so dirty, I doubt Mario would have handballed the ball which resulted in a penalty kick. But other than that, they played well and had a lot of great passes. Comparing to the Poles, the Croats sure knew how to pass the ball and receive passes.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Croats were hitting the ball but not in the right direction. Too many misses. An A for an efforts but D for accuracy.
Never the less, was a great game and entertainment. I personally wanted Croatia to win just to make a point. Oh well. There is always next time!
Old 07-16-2018, 02:50 PM

I see nothing controversial about a penalty kick. It was a handball, he obviously was aware of where the ball was and moved his hand into it's way. It was a potentially dangerous moment he choose to defuse this way (poor judgement IMO). If penalty wasn't called - that would be controversial.

Griezmann did dive, he should have gotten a card, not a kick. What a shame, I think with replays teams have to be able to challenge ref's decisions.

France did control the game, never lost their cool and won pretty comfortably IMO.

PS. Mbappe speed is just crazy, absolutely phenomenal

PPS. I think it was a great final game, I really hoped Croatia would score the 3rd goal just to to see how France deals with stress for once - that would have made last minutes even better.

Last edited by ak-71; 07-16-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
It's been amazing to watch strong teams not be able to put it together,
Maybe because 'strong' is based on the FIFA rankings which are pretty much useless comparisons based on matches up to four years ago, but they don't really reflect the current team strength or match results.
Just look at Germany, plenty of people had them as their favorite, probably simply based on FIFA ranking, the last WC and the names of individual players.
Anyone following football, their recent matches (five consecutive matches without a victory in 2017, including a loss against Austria!) and the form of the majority of their players shouldn't be surprised about Germany being horrible this year. Because it was completely obvious in the last months before the tournament.
FIFA ranking is useless. Just like other statistics, against South Korea Germany had a ball possession of over 70% and played over 600 successful passes. Looking at that one could think Germany dominated SK, everyone that saw the match could see how the possession and passes were mainly in their own half, being worth nothing since SK used their ball possession of 30% for the two winning goals and was obviously the better team.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Banned

Following the final game, i looked at interviews from croatian players. Not one of them complained on referee decisions, they were very well aware of what France can do but were also confident in their own game. Not a single Croat is ashamed of this loss, and every single one celebrated their return with silver.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
Maybe because 'strong' is based on the FIFA rankings which are pretty much useless comparisons based on matches up to four years ago, but they don't really reflect the current team strength or match results.
Just look at Germany, plenty of people had them as their favorite, probably simply based on FIFA ranking, the last WC and the names of individual players.
Anyone following football, their recent matches (five consecutive matches without a victory in 2017, including a loss against Austria!) and the form of the majority of their players shouldn't be surprised about Germany being horrible this year. Because it was completely obvious in the last months before the tournament.
FIFA ranking is useless. Just like other statistics, against South Korea Germany had a ball possession of over 70% and played over 600 successful passes. Looking at that one could think Germany dominated SK, everyone that saw the match could see how the possession and passes were mainly in their own half, being worth nothing since SK used their ball possession of 30% for the two winning goals and was obviously the better team.
100% AGREE - the FIFA rankings are based on a points system weighted by confederation, ranking and depreciated over time and Germany was far ahead in the rankings and stayed there. The new rankings should be out soon, which will re-align (correct) a little of the disparity, but the time/weight/depreciation system is one of the issues.