Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2018, 11:19 AM

Happens in Russia - Napoleon and Hitler went home from Moscow too, they were superior at some point .
There is a saying in Russian "at home even walls help" .
Common, I thought they would loose, they clearly were the underdog, but I was glad that they never gave up till the end. What a celebration it must be in Russia

And, if Ignashevich wouldn't get confused which goals to score, it would be 2:0 in the first 90 minutes to start with

Last edited by ak-71; 07-01-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:29 AM

Gggoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllll
Old 07-01-2018, 12:33 PM

Old 07-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
This is the Most funniest thing I've seen online today
Old 07-01-2018, 05:35 PM

Denmark looses in the Shootout to Croatia.

Another frustrating way to loose for Denmark.

And yet another stronger side (Croatia) doing very little offensively. When Croatia did attack they were the far superior team, however, for whatever reason, just like Spain, they sat back and played conservative and safe soccer.

I don't think I have ever seen so many saves in a shootout before - man that must have been tense if you were the next guy to shoot.

Croatia Vs. Russia next round.

If Croatia goes out there and attacks - they should be the much stronger team, however, if they sit back, they can join Spain on the beach.

Last edited by EZM; 07-01-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
X2 that is why I find it such a frustrating game. Spain was clearly the superior team, yet they are going home.
yes its a Frustrating game , But Spain had no clear cut chances , the Tiki Taka isn't working for them, and the coach was clueless made some errors with substitutions.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave barry View Post
this is the most funniest thing i've seen online today :sha_sarcasticlol:
x3
Old 07-01-2018, 10:34 PM

Allegedly, during the game FSB intercepted an SMS from one of the Spanish players:
"Russians are playing like animals - they first scored on themselves, then they scored on our goal, now we just want to make it out alive..."
Old 07-02-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
No way, Belgium will come through!
What a game against Japan. My team came through
Old 07-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
What a game against Japan. My team came through
Belgium is the best team in the world right now. and now they have a date with the Brazil at the quarter final. I give it to Belgium
Old 07-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave barry View Post
Belgium is the best team in the world right now. and now they have a date with the Brazil at the quarter final. I give it to Belgium
I guess it is just the final score that counts but for the first 60-65 minutes it looked they had maybe sent their under 14 team
Old 07-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I guess it is just the final score that counts but for the first 60-65 minutes it looked they had maybe sent their under 14 team

Like you said, what really counts is the result
Old 07-03-2018, 08:45 PM

Colombia v England today - England through on the shoot out. Not very impressive.

Colombia lost their minds there for a while and though they were going to surround and tear up the referee. Crazy antics like that, where sometimes they end up beat the ref to a pulp are common in South America - shocking to see here at a world cup.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:59 PM

Watched Brazil the other day - they look to be in pretty good form. Canged my perception a bit watching them. They are definitely the "expert's" favourite with who's left in the tournament. Neymar was constantly grimacing and writhing around in agony going for the actor of the year award. Another great player acting like a shameless clown.

Belgium getting tons of "bad press" but they were solid. Japan is a quality team who, if you know soccer, you can see they are tactically almost perfect. They keep their shape, transition the ball through the middle third and execute solid attacks. They are also the team with the best conditioning in the tournament. Japan lacks the individual talent - but ANY team needs to play carefully with them. Definitely no easy walk in the park for Belgium.

Belgium is still, and will remain to be, one of the strongest left in the tournament. One of my original picks (the only one left too - lol).

I'd like to see Croatia and Belgium in the final, but they both have some serious work to do before then.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Watched Brazil the other day - they look to be in pretty good form. Canged my perception a bit watching them. They are definitely the "expert's" favourite with who's left in the tournament. Neymar was constantly grimacing and writhing around in agony going for the actor of the year award. Another great player acting like a shameless clown.

...snip...
Thought this was pretty funny-

https://youtu.be/GOjCpzRnxOY

Again it is so frustrating...his back heel give and go goal last game was a great play.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:15 AM
Banned

Default England Team

Quote:
Colombia v England today - England through on the shoot out. Not very impressive.

Colombia lost their minds there for a while and though they were going to surround and tear up the referee. Crazy antics like that, where sometimes they end up beat the ref to a pulp are common in South America - shocking to see here at a world cup.
Yes the England team were not impressive at all. luckily for them they scale through.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:03 PM

South Americans are out ........... should be a shame as we miss all the grimacing, rolling around, arm wave protesting and shameless diving and have to actually play football now .....

Uruguay knocked out by France this Morning - good game to watch - wide open and exciting but, at the end of the day, France was the stronger side.

Brasil knocked out by Belgium a few minutes ago - Overall Belgium the better team in the first half, but after they went to a "defensive and careful" strategy in the second half it allowed Brasil to dominate the attacking, but, unfortunately for them, it wasn't enough to break through Belgium's solid defending.

Looking forward to both Games tomorrow as well ....

England and Sweden should be a close game - I'm picking England.

Croatia vs Russia - Croatia clearly the stronger team here - but you never know what team will show up, if they show up to play and attack, Russia is finished. If they play defensive, they are deciding their futures with a coin toss.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewk01 View Post
Don't be surprised if Belgium gets knockout in the next round. This World Cup is full of surprises.
Hah, Belgium all the way.

Kevin de Bryne (sp?) proved his worth today!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:32 AM

It's coming home!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36720003_10156959572540982_4911364724395868160_o.jpg (41.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-07-2018, 12:40 PM

Talking

france and england might go at it...
Old 07-07-2018, 02:39 PM

Thumbs up

Got to give it to Russia if they can steal this one from Croatia... to pk they go
Old 07-07-2018, 03:13 PM

It was a good game and Russian team gave it and this world cup all they had. I don't remember any Russian or Soviet national team trying that hard - for me it was pleasure to watch them play.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
It was a good game and Russian team gave it and this world cup all they had. I don't remember any Russian or Soviet national team trying that hard - for me it was pleasure to watch them play.
All Russians should be very proud of them. They ran hard and played open attacking football against a much stronger Croatian team and took them to penalties. A few better calls and a post or deflection that game could have been ugly but they kept fighting and refused to bottle up and defend.

The ref couldn't do enough for them either (those were some of the worst one sided calls I have ever seen) but, at the end of the day the result is what it is. Clearly the stronger side went through.

Croatia played far too conservatively I thought and took no chances on an overlap or committing too many men forward. Nevertheless the completely controlled that game.

Should be a couple great matches next week.

England and Croatia will be tight. France and Belgium will also be a tough game for both.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caduddin View Post
It's coming home!!!
Much better performance today from England. Sweden had no offensive answer for them. Was a great game to watch and a well deserved win !!!!

Croatia is going to be a much tougher match.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
france and england might go at it...

Not sure about France , its going to be a tough game btw Belgium and France . But My pick is Belgium
Old 07-07-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Much better performance today from England. Sweden had no offensive answer for them. Was a great game to watch and a well deserved win !!!!

Croatia is going to be a much tougher match.
Sweden defense was an accident waiting to happen from the starting whistle, reminded me of a Russian team 4 years ago (which is as far from a compliment as it gets)
Old 07-07-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
All Russians should be very proud of them. They ran hard and played open attacking football against a much stronger Croatian team and took them to penalties. A few better calls and a post or deflection that game could have been ugly but they kept fighting and refused to bottle up and defend.
You see, I don't think anybody in Russia expected lowest rated national team with zero wins in 2018 to develop technical skills to rival best teams in Europe .

I think what was a huge and pleasant surprise for the fans is that team showed decent skills, desire to play and huge balls to compensate for their shortcomings.
And yes, I think this team can be proud of themselves, they did way better than expected.

Last edited by ak-71; 07-07-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:26 PM

I might have a problem in the near future: A Brit cheering for Belgium
Old 07-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Going with England vs Belgium.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:25 PM

England vs France would be an epic final to an amazing tournament.
Azzuri didnt even compete so i just watched with no bias. Some stellar games.