Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Default Best Tire Brands for Winter?

Searching online for an all-season/winter light truck tire. Reading the online reviews isn't a big help. Coming here I know I can trust the input.

Tires will be going on a Silverado 4x4. I was thinking of going with the Cooper Discoverer X/T4 in a 265/65R18 or a 275/65R18.

http://ca.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-xt4_suv.aspx

Something I'm most concerned about is life of tire. I hope for the tires to last at least 3 years before showing any sign of dry rot or separation. Winter handling is second.

Any recommendations or warnings would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Old 09-23-2018, 04:31 PM

I've got Nokian Hakks (some studded, some not) for all our fleet. I run the studded LTs on my E250 work van, excellent traction on ice and ok in snow up to a point. In deep snow....well, it's an extended RWD cargo van, no tires are sufficient. Then I have chains. But I love the Hakks they are fantastic tires. I've run mine for 4 winters already, and still lots of meat on them. I believe they are 10 ply?

Now, tirebob is the man to ask, he knows tires AND whisky! Wisdom right there!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-23-2018, 04:38 PM

Thanks, Twisted!

Will check them out now.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:15 PM

I like Nokian for sure, but I've have had great experience with Toyo's and Generals too. I have a Consumers Reports subscription but their ratings seem to stop at tires for half ton trucks and SUV's as there weren't any LT tires tested, just P-rated tires. On the list below I find it a bit curious how low they rated the Toyo Observes as I've driven with these on two Nissan Titans (one crew cab and one with the small rear doors) and they were fantastic, the test however rated them low on handling and wet braking but excellent for snow traction & very good for ice braking.

The Toyo Observes were on borrowed trucks, the Nokian Hakkapellittas (older series) and studded General Arctic LT's I had on GMC 2500 Savanas. The previous winter I bought some Cooper AT/W's as an experiment and they were reasonable, but still a noticeable compromise when compared to a dedicated winter tire.

For those interested in the P-rated light truck/SUV winter tire ratings they rated in this order:
  • 1: Michelin Latitude X-Ice XI 2: score 74
  • 2: Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV: score 68
  • 3: Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2: score 68
  • 4: General Grabber Arctic: score 66
  • 5: Dunlop Winter Maxx SJ8 tire: score 66
  • 6: Yokohama iceGUARD iG51v : score 66
  • 7: Nexen WINGUARD winSpike SUV: score 62
  • 8: Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT: score 62
  • 9: Toyo Observe GSi-5: score 60
  • 10: Hankook I*Pike RW11: score 56

For winters for your cars the top rated tires looked like a real value as they were also a lot cheaper than many of the next-best rated tires. The winner there are the Cooper Discoverer True North which rated a 70, leading Contis, Michelins, Nokians, Generals and Blizzaks in that order.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-23-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
Searching online for an all-season/winter light truck tire. Reading the online reviews isn't a big help. Coming here I know I can trust the input.

Tires will be going on a Silverado 4x4. I was thinking of going with the Cooper Discoverer X/T4 in a 265/65R18 or a 275/65R18.

http://ca.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-xt4_suv.aspx

Something I'm most concerned about is life of tire. I hope for the tires to last at least 3 years before showing any sign of dry rot or separation. Winter handling is second.

Any recommendations or warnings would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Was wondering about cooper tires on my HD Chev for next year replacement. The link you provided...Did you get a price on them?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:37 PM

CabberTosser, great list! Thanks for sharing. I remember running some Toyos in the past and they were surprisingly good.

Kevin, I haven't priced them yet. I'm hoping for a reasonable price, even if I have to shop around.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:45 PM

I've only had one set of winter tires, so I don't have anything to compare them to, but we've got the Michelin Latitude X-Ice on the van and they are fantastic.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:50 PM

Falken wild peak A/T .Have a set on my 1/2 ton and have complaints about them
Old 09-23-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I've only had one set of winter tires, so I don't have anything to compare them to, but we've got the Michelin Latitude X-Ice on the van and they are fantastic.
Will search these as well! Thanks, Trochu!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaddict View Post
Falken wild peak A/T .Have a set on my 1/2 ton and have complaints about them
Ok, good to know, fishaddict!

Thank you!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:18 PM

I did some research and selected these for my Tacoma. Only have about 150 kms on them. No road noise, look good. Interested to see how they perform in Winter.

http://ca.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-4s.aspx

Bestway Tire in Edmonton had them in stock.

The tacoma came with Toyos. They were terrible in the winter.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zims23 View Post
I did some research and selected these for my Tacoma. Only have about 150 kms on them. No road noise, look good. Interested to see how they perform in Winter.

http://ca.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-4s.aspx

Bestway Tire in Edmonton had them in stock.

The tacoma came with Toyos. They were terrible in the winter.
That's a good looking tire. Even as an AT tire that looks like an ok-ish winter tire too.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:05 PM

If you want the best. Hakkas hands down. There is no comparison, but they are expensive (worth every penny as far as I'm concerned).
Old 09-23-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
If you want the best. Hakkas hands down. There is no comparison, but they are expensive (worth every penny as far as I'm concerned).
I saw that. I'd say definitely a good winter tire and high quality design. Pricey for sure. Might be too pricey for me. I'll have to go for an all-season/winter even if it means not getting the best. But I'll put it on the list!

Thank you!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:34 PM

Interesting list Caber. I ran the Michelin X Ice on my work van prior to getting Hakks, and quite liked them, but when I went to Hakks I noticed a marked improvement on stopping/starting on ice right away, the Hakks were superior (most of my driving is city, which you would expect to be plowed but often isn't...ice is my main concern not snow). Anyway, I guess that is 'anecdotal', but I have my wife and five kids and myself all riding on Nokians in the winter now.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-23-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Interesting list Caber. I ran the Michelin X Ice on my work van prior to getting Hakks, and quite liked them, but when I went to Hakks I noticed a marked improvement on stopping/starting on ice right away, the Hakks were superior (most of my driving is city, which you would expect to be plowed but often isn't...ice is my main concern not snow). Anyway, I guess that is 'anecdotal', but I have my wife and five kids and myself all riding on Nokians in the winter now.
I'd say top of the line for sure.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:01 PM

Don't over look the Goodyear duratrac and the K02 tires.
I run the k02 on my Chevy 2500HD and no complaints yet.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVIS View Post
Don't over look the Goodyear duratrac and the K02 tires.
I run the k02 on my Chevy 2500HD and no complaints yet.
Will check them out now! They look like a good all-terrain.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:09 PM

I’ve had hankook ipikes, toyo observe, general Altimax arctic and studded duratracs. My favorite were the Toyo and generals.(granted the toyo was on a sedan). The least favorite was duratrac. FWIW I currently have the general tires on my half ton with a snow plow. I’m going on my 4th or 5th season on the generals and have plenty of tree left. Now that I bought a new truck and mainly use the old one for plowing snow I don’t rack up near the miles so expect them to last another 3-5 years easy. I’ve never ran them but have heard great things about blizzaks and will possibly look at them for my new truck.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:14 PM

Default Tires

I run Hankook ipikes on one truck, and Firestone Winterforce on the other.
I am pretty happy with either of these tires, they work well on ice, as well as deep snow
Old 09-24-2018, 07:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I like Nokian for sure, but I've have had great experience with Toyo's and Generals too. I have a Consumers Reports subscription but their ratings seem to stop at tires for half ton trucks and SUV's as there weren't any LT tires tested, just P-rated tires. On the list below I find it a bit curious how low they rated the Toyo Observes as I've driven with these on two Nissan Titans (one crew cab and one with the small rear doors) and they were fantastic, the test however rated them low on handling and wet braking but excellent for snow traction & very good for ice braking.

The Toyo Observes were on borrowed trucks, the Nokian Hakkapellittas (older series) and studded General Arctic LT's I had on GMC 2500 Savanas. The previous winter I bought some Cooper AT/W's as an experiment and they were reasonable, but still a noticeable compromise when compared to a dedicated winter tire.

For those interested in the P-rated light truck/SUV winter tire ratings they rated in this order:
  • 1: Michelin Latitude X-Ice XI 2: score 74
  • 2: Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV: score 68
  • 3: Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2: score 68
  • 4: General Grabber Arctic: score 66
  • 5: Dunlop Winter Maxx SJ8 tire: score 66
  • 6: Yokohama iceGUARD iG51v : score 66
  • 7: Nexen WINGUARD winSpike SUV: score 62
  • 8: Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT: score 62
  • 9: Toyo Observe GSi-5: score 60
  • 10: Hankook I*Pike RW11: score 56

For winters for your cars the top rated tires looked like a real value as they were also a lot cheaper than many of the next-best rated tires. The winner there are the Cooper Discoverer True North which rated a 70, leading Contis, Michelins, Nokians, Generals and Blizzaks in that order.
Honestly, I dislike these types of lists for tires. Even as unbiased as we assume these tests to be, the problem with tire testing in the scope this sort of thing shows is there are far to many variables that occur in the real world for a generic test to emphatically tell someone that one product is emphatically better than another, and it slants people away from asking the questions that will help them select potentially a tire that is actually maybe better for their needs.

Sure in the tiny scope of testing they performed that days the results indicate the order shown, but change the variables slightly with say a decrease in temperature by 10 degrees and I guarantee you the results would flip around. Put the tires on a car that was heavier by 1000 pounds and try it again. Again, they will vary. Use a different group of drivers with different driving styles, it will be different. Alter road surface (asphalt versus concrete etc) and results can change.

I have always found it funny that after doing more comparable ride and drives and driving tests than one can count over my last 31 years in the automotive tire industry, you can count on the fact that the manufacturer who is setting up the ride and drive, it is their tires that invariably end up coming out on top. There are so many ways to manipulate what the final results will be, and if there are ways to manipulate a supposedly controlled environment, it means the real world will come up with even more.

Testing tires is a whole lot more complicated than these lists can ever do justice. It isn't even remotely the same thing as say testing and comparing a toaster yet people tend to afford the word of a magazine more creedence than that of a professional, experienced individual and that does cause me a bit of exasperation when someone comes in asking for advice only to tell me they disagree because Consumer Reports says I am wrong... Ugh lol!

The real truth is that any single one of the tires on those lists will be a huge improvement in real winter driving over not using them, and even thought it shows one tire being bottom and one being the best, the specific characteristics of the apparent worst may actually do the job you need better while the supposed best one is completely the wrong choice. Figuring out what that best choice is for you specifically will not come from a simple magazine test.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-24-2018, 05:26 PM

Bob, can you answer this please. For a 2018 GMC 1500 are P rated tires ok to run or should a guy be running an LT?
I no longer have a sled deck and no longer sled in the mountains. I may need to tow the sled on a light trailer but not for any extensive mileage.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2018, 05:35 PM

I have the cooper discovery they are awsome, can’t beat the price I have them on my f150 and it stops on a dime, I do have them studded as well...this will be the 3rd winter and they have barley worn.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:35 PM

I have been running the Cooper Discovers on my Sierra for a couple years, I'm happy with the performance in winter conditions and they seem to be lasting quite well. I would also recommend the Michelin LTX M+S. Had them on a previous truck and was very happy with their performance, they are a higher priced tire though.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:42 PM

Another vote for Blizzaks
Old 09-24-2018, 07:00 PM

Bob, I agree that such tests might not be the end-all and be-all, but its something. I noted that I was surprised that the Toyo's I really like were a bit low in the rankings. I guess though its fair to note I have not driven the other tires that were ranked ahead of the Observe's. The Toyo's were behind the Grabber Arctic's, but those were their P-rated ones rather than the entirely different Grabber Artic LT's that I bought from you last January (too bad those aren't available in the size I'm now seeking, we'll find something soon though).

The Consumers Reports test rankings in my estimation need to weigh certain performance factors much more heavily than others, for instance snow traction and ice braking should have greater effect on the ranking than minor performance qualities such as noise levels and rolling resistance. A 'ride comfort' column also seemed rather subjective, cumulatively that's 3 columns out of 10 that can have a heavy effect on a tires ranking. I'll note though that they don't include tread life estimate on winter tires as they do with summer or all-season tires.

It would also be interesting to know where the heck their test facility is, to get an idea of what kind of winter conditions they test in.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:31 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil1010 View Post
Bob, can you answer this please. For a 2018 GMC 1500 are P rated tires ok to run or should a guy be running an LT?
I no longer have a sled deck and no longer sled in the mountains. I may need to tow the sled on a light trailer but not for any extensive mileage.
Thanks
On any standard half ton, most come with P rated right from the factory unless they were a special edition or heavy half so unless you have one of those, you absolutely do not need an LT tire. If you are loading heavy for long distances or need some more toughness offroad etc then an LT can help, but the correct P rated tires are up to the maximum factory stated capabilities of an OEM truck.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-24-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
I saw that. I'd say definitely a good winter tire and high quality design. Pricey for sure. Might be too pricey for me. I'll have to go for an all-season/winter even if it means not getting the best. But I'll put it on the list!

Thank you!
I looked at Kal Tire for the Nokians in Silverado sizes - doesn't exist unless you want to backtrack to the 17" rims. Onwards!
Old 09-25-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I looked at Kal Tire for the Nokians in Silverado sizes - doesn't exist unless you want to backtrack to the 17" rims. Onwards!
Did you talk to a tire guy? Moving up or down a size isn't a big deal. As in moving from a 255 width to 250 width, or vice versa. Just use an online comparison tool to ensure the difference is a low percentage (0-5%) and alls good.

IMHO, moving to a smaller rim for the winter isn't a bad thing. Cheaper tires/cheaper rims/more sidewall. I go from 18" down to 15" for my DD every winter. And from 20" to 18" on the wife's suv. Especially with all the crap the cities put on the streets, don't need to damage the nice ones.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Why not run a 17” winter wheel? It’s not backtracking because a 17” wheel is much better on a truck than one that is larger for numerous reasons, the sole reason for a larger diameter wheel is primarily just for looks once you have one of sufficient size the clear the brake calipers.

A wider diameter wheel not only weighs more but it moves that increased weight further away from the centre line of the axle which increases the leverage effects it has against both acceleration and braking, accordingly it makes the vehicle slower in both stopping and accelerating and it even affects fuel economy. The gyroscopic effect of a spinning wheel means that the further out the weight is it will also affect steering input by slowing input response and increasing stresses on the wheel bearings & front spindles.

Being that trucks are well, trucks, sidewalk height is important for people that actually drive off road or simply want to avoid curb damage. Tires for smaller wheel sizes are also less expensive so that’s another advantage..

Aside from looks the only advantage to running a larger wheel is better handling due to less sidewall flex, but if you ask me when when people use a truck as a utilitarian tool this is a pretty low priority. If you want handling buy a sports sedan or coupe because something 6’ + tall isn’t going to corner with a Morris Mini Cooper on its minuscule 10” to 12” wheels that allow them really low centres of gravity and excellent throttle response.