Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-22-2018, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcw View Post
I was checking rifles on the range one day before putting the range to safe. Someone had put a 10/22 in the rack and the slide was closed. He was in the club house signing in.

I popped open the slide a an unfired shell pops out.

I picked it up and found the owner. Apparently it was in there since last range session.

I gave him hell and he promised to be more careful. Could have been a bad day.
Used to work at a gun store casually. Guy came in looking for a scope for his Lever Action. Brings the rifle in in a case and puts it on the counter, no big deal. We get to talking and he shows me the gun. I open the action to make sure the gun isn't loaded. This is just habit, I have probably done it over a thousand times and have never seen a round come out so I wasn't really paying attention. I clearly remember my jaw dropping when heard that little ting sound of a round being ejected. I may of said few choice words but stopped pretty quick as nothing I could say could make him feel worse than he already did. This fellow was well known, a very respected shooter. He just got complacent.

As for range stories, the only time I have seen anything "unusual" is at those drop in rental places.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 AM

My brother had just bought a Rem 7mm mag and asked if I wanted to try it out. Hands me the rifle all loaded up and I head down to corral where he told me that the target was set up a 100 yards out. Line up and pull the trigger and that’s when the world went all funny. There was a blast of hot something that hit me in the face. Stood there fo a minute trying to get the proverbial kaka together, my eyeglasses right lens was almost totally black, left one not so much and the right side of my face was hot. I’m thinking what just happened?
Took my glasses off and wiped my eye to get some of the crap out and that was when I noticed all the blood on my hand. All the cartridges got kicked out when the magazine popped open,so I picked them up and went back to the house.
When walked in my two brothers looked at me and asked what the hell happened to me. I told my bro that his rifle didn’t like me much when I handed it back to him.
He tried to open the bolt and no way it was opening. Took a stick of firewood that as by the stove and after tapping on it for a bit it opens and out pops a case that was split and tore up bad.
On closer examination we found that it had been loaded with .270 ammo.
They picked the unburnt powder out of my face and off to town I go for new glasses.
To this day I
Always wear glasses. I feel they saved my eyes that day.
Check the ammo to make sure it’s right.
Refuse to shoot a left hand rifle.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
Used to work at a gun store casually. Guy came in looking for a scope for his Lever Action. Brings the rifle in in a case and puts it on the counter, no big deal. We get to talking and he shows me the gun. I open the action to make sure the gun isn't loaded. This is just habit, I have probably done it over a thousand times and have never seen a round come out so I wasn't really paying attention. I clearly remember my jaw dropping when heard that little ting sound of a round being ejected. I may of said few choice words but stopped pretty quick as nothing I could say could make him feel worse than he already did. This fellow was well known, a very respected shooter. He just got complacent.

As for range stories, the only time I have seen anything "unusual" is at those drop in rental places.

You know that reminded me of something else.

I was visiting a buddy at his store and we were behind the counter. An old timer wanted to get rid of some guns. He lays this 12 gauge pump on the counter pointed at my balls. Nothing intentional just happened to be pointed that way. Then the got spun towards the lad to the right of us.

The young lad that worked there noticed the action is closed - which he is trained to look for, so he picks it up and ejects 3 live slug rounds.

The dam safety was off as well.

Good thing the fellow gave up his guns - it was time.

Young lad was real upset because somebody could have easily been killed.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
My brother had just bought a Rem 7mm mag and asked if I wanted to try it out. Hands me the rifle all loaded up and I head down to corral where he told me that the target was set up a 100 yards out. Line up and pull the trigger and that’s when the world went all funny. There was a blast of hot something that hit me in the face. Stood there fo a minute trying to get the proverbial kaka together, my eyeglasses right lens was almost totally black, left one not so much and the right side of my face was hot. I’m thinking what just happened?
Took my glasses off and wiped my eye to get some of the crap out and that was when I noticed all the blood on my hand. All the cartridges got kicked out when the magazine popped open,so I picked them up and went back to the house.
When walked in my two brothers looked at me and asked what the hell happened to me. I told my bro that his rifle didn’t like me much when I handed it back to him.
He tried to open the bolt and no way it was opening. Took a stick of firewood that as by the stove and after tapping on it for a bit it opens and out pops a case that was split and tore up bad.
On closer examination we found that it had been loaded with .270 ammo.
They picked the unburnt powder out of my face and off to town I go for new glasses.
To this day I
Always wear glasses. I feel they saved my eyes that day.
Check the ammo to make sure it’s right.
Refuse to shoot a left hand rifle.
You are real lucky. Buy a lotto ticket!
Old 09-22-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcw View Post
You are real lucky. Buy a lotto ticket!
I do and I seem to just win a free play. Wait a minute!
Old 09-28-2018, 08:01 PM

My range surprise story is a bit more on the lighter side.

I was at the range with my cousin and uncle, they were razzing me about buying a revolver in 357 magnum (they are fans of polymer and striker fired pistols). I turned around to get more ammo from my ammo can when a young attractive woman in her twenties walked up to me and asked "Do you know were I can shoot some guns?" (This range is in the middle of nowhere, but some one had told her about it.) My cousin and uncle stared telling her about rental ranges and other places like that, I interrupted them and said "If you want to do some shooting, we've got guns here." the girl said "yeah, let me go and get my friend. she's waiting in the car."

so my cousin and I, both in our twenties. Taught two young attractive women how to shoot both pistols and rifles.

The girls told me that the revolver suited me well, they fired a lot of our ammo and had a blast. The cute brunette preferred firing my uncles tokarev (but she said "I'd like this better in 9mm"), and the cute blonde liked the AR-15.

So when people ask me why a revolver guy like me would buy a 9mm tokarev at the thorncliffe gun show, well you can probably figure that one out on your own.