Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 07:26 AM
Banned

Default Duplicating factory loads?

I picked up a Browning hells canyon speed in 26 nosler yesterday and during barrel break in and sight in I noticed it really likes nòsler 142gr LRAB's. A little better then a 1" group at 200 yards. I'm figuring on running it across a chronograph today. If I were to match the speed with the same bullets would I be able to achieve the same accuracy?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:44 AM

Default no way of knowing

Until you try the loads ie barrel harmonics.Usually the correct handload will shoot as well as preferred factory fodder or better.Seat the bullets out just shy of the rifling but short enough to function through the magazine with a little wiggle room at the tip.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:42 AM

I'm not an expert in reloading (or anything else, if you ask my wife) but my answer to that question would be "maybe". Unless you know exactly what powder was used in the factory ammo, what bullet, etc...there will be some guessing. You can narrow that down by Google research of course, but when I've tried to do the same, I measure the O/A length of the finished factory ammo (check a full box, determine average), pull the bullet and weigh it...inspect (=try to determine) the powder and weigh the charge.

If possible, I then try to determine best O/A finished length of the ammo I want to make, keeping the bullet about .010" off the lands. Check the load data and see how the factory charge compares...then tweak +/- if there is room.

I think the biggest eye-opener in really looking closely at factory ammo (and it's Hornady I'm normally looking at) is how much it actually varies in length from round-to-round. I can measure 20 in a box and get at least 6-8 different lengths. Not huge variations mind you, but way MORE variation than the ones I hand load. If I get variations greater than .002"-.005" I stop everything and try to figure out why. I mostly can, but not every time.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:38 AM

The answer is maybe, the same velocity, with the same bullet, does not guarantee the same accuracy.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The answer is maybe, the same velocity, with the same bullet, does not guarantee the same accuracy.
I'll giv'er a try and see what happens. Hoping it will because it will be pretty hard to beat the accuracy that the nosler factory shells giving me.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I'll giv'er a try and see what happens. Hoping it will because it will be pretty hard to beat the accuracy that the nosler factory shells giving me.
Unless you shoot the caliber in question allot...finding a super-accurate factory load is a fantasy of mine. lol I really like hand loading, but if I found a factory ammo that punched tiny groups like my hand loads do, I'd be awfully tempted to bypass the load work-up process and just buy a case of the stuff.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:09 PM

Its a crap shoot trying to figure out what powder they use.I would buy the same bullet and work up a load with a slow burning powder(retumbo) and seat it off the lands or as long as your magazine will let you,You will probably do better than the factory stuff.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:09 PM
Banned

If someone wants to post a pic I'll text it to them. I think it would be pretty hard to beat but I sure would like to duplicate.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:21 PM

Years ago I had a brain fart and bought a Huskema for on my 6.5-284. Corlanes hadcut the turret for factory Ammo with 130 accubonds. I wasn’t going to pay the huge price for ammo and worked up a load. Needless to say my turret was no where close to my handloads, leaving me with a scope that was basically useless. Sold the huskema and bought a NF NXS and have been dialling in moa instead of yards ever since.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I'm not an expert in reloading (or anything else, if you ask my wife) but my answer to that question would be "maybe". Unless you know exactly what powder was used in the factory ammo, what bullet, etc...there will be some guessing. You can narrow that down by Google research of course, but when I've tried to do the same, I measure the O/A length of the finished factory ammo (check a full box, determine average), pull the bullet and weigh it...inspect (=try to determine) the powder and weigh the charge.

If possible, I then try to determine best O/A finished length of the ammo I want to make, keeping the bullet about .010" off the lands. Check the load data and see how the factory charge compares...then tweak +/- if there is room.

I think the biggest eye-opener in really looking closely at factory ammo (and it's Hornady I'm normally looking at) is how much it actually varies in length from round-to-round. I can measure 20 in a box and get at least 6-8 different lengths. Not huge variations mind you, but way MORE variation than the ones I hand load. If I get variations greater than .002"-.005" I stop everything and try to figure out why. I mostly can, but not every time.
Are you measuring COAL from the tip or from the ogive where the seating die pushes on the bullet? Don't chase the tips, they are variable in any bullets I've used. The box of Hornady ELD-X I'm loading right now has a 7 thou variance in bullet lengths giving a 7 thou variance in COALs without changing seating die settings.

Last edited by Digger1; 09-20-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Years ago I had a brain fart and bought a Huskema for on my 6.5-284. Corlanes hadcut the turret for factory Ammo with 130 accubonds. I wasn’t going to pay the huge price for ammo and worked up a load. Needless to say my turret was no where close to my handloads, leaving me with a scope that was basically useless. Sold the huskema and bought a NF NXS and have been dialling in moa instead of yards ever since.
I’m unsure what I’ll put for optics on it. I had a bushnell 6500 laying around that I put on it for now or it might stay on it.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I picked up a Browning hells canyon speed in 26 nosler yesterday and during barrel break in and sight in I noticed it really likes nòsler 142gr LRAB's. A little better then a 1" group at 200 yards. I'm figuring on running it across a chronograph today. If I were to match the speed with the same bullets would I be able to achieve the same accuracy?

Thanks.
Actually, same bullet, at the same velocity and COAL and you will likely be very close to the same group you are getting with the factory ammo. The harmonics of a barrel is the result of the bullet passing through it at a specific speed and pressure. If you are using the same bullet, at the same velocity you will likely be very close to the same pressure as the factory load. Ergo, groups should be very close. May be able to improve the group by going up and down .2 grain at a time around that node, and COAL adjustments may improve it as well, but if you load it to same COAL as factory, with same bullet and speed you will be very close to the group the factory ammo is giving you. I have done this with a number of different rounds, particularly 7x57 and 257 Weatherby. In both of those specifically the factory ammo would shoot under 1/2" at a hundred yards.

Would love to hear how you make out.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Banned

Probably won't be reloading for it anytime in the near future Dean. I'm in the brass accumulation mode now but hope what you're figuring will be true. Got 2 holes pretty much touching and the 3rd the width of a bic lighter apart.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Actually, same bullet, at the same velocity and COAL and you will likely be very close to the same group you are getting with the factory ammo. The harmonics of a barrel is the result of the bullet passing through it at a specific speed and pressure. If you are using the same bullet, at the same velocity you will likely be very close to the same pressure as the factory load. Ergo, groups should be very close. May be able to improve the group by going up and down .2 grain at a time around that node, and COAL adjustments may improve it as well, but if you load it to same COAL as factory, with same bullet and speed you will be very close to the group the factory ammo is giving you. I have done this with a number of different rounds, particularly 7x57 and 257 Weatherby. In both of those specifically the factory ammo would shoot under 1/2" at a hundred yards.

Would love to hear how you make out.
x2 ,I believe Dean is correct ,because it's just a matter of time till you hit the sweet spot to match up your factory stuff.