Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Banned

Default A Quick Question

I'm skinning my yote with paws on for tanning. I read somewhere about rubbing borax in the fleshed paws. Do any of you wolf fellas (our anyone else) know for sure whether or not I should be doing that. I will not be salting the hide, just drying it like I would for auction.
Unless someone is 100% sure that I should, I won't be doing it. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 PM

I do it on Lynx paws after turning them
Old 01-19-2018, 04:59 PM

there is no reason to apply anything to a well fleshed out paw
Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 PM
Banned

Last question....until the next one.

I'm not sure what needs to be done with the toe pads. I remember reading that for wolves you cut under them, flesh them and leave them attached like a flap (I think). Everything else is done so I can board it and do it tomorrow if need be so it's not a big panic. I'm thinking off but I don't want to screw anything up. I can't undo taking them off.

Thank you!
Old 01-19-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Last question....until the next one.

I'm not sure what needs to be done with the toe pads. I remember reading that for wolves you cut under them, flesh them and leave them attached like a flap (I think). Everything else is done so I can board it and do it tomorrow if need be so it's not a big panic. I'm thinking off but I don't want to screw anything up. I can't undo taking them off.

Thank you!
for wall hanger pelts i cut the pads off. they just ball up ajd turn super hard when they come back from tanning. i have done this for foxes, yotes and bears. makes for a bettwr product i find

also a little borax wont hurt anything. may not be needed but if i am in doubt i spinkle a little on the area
Old 01-19-2018, 11:52 PM
Banned

Thanks Phil, appreciate it. I found a video on YouTube from Coon Creek Outdoors and he leaves all of the pads on, even the large pad. My concern was with rot and the tanning being able to do its job. I think that I’ll call International tomorrow and see what they advise. I haven’t done anything with the toe pads so they are exactly where they should be. To me, with the claws, the toe pads on look okay but I’ll look again tomorrow and decide if International says it’s okay to do.

What did you do with the front legs when you turned the pelt fur out......legs inside or outside? Gonna ask International about that as well I suppose.