Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-11-2022, 07:16 PM

Default Grip -N - PULL

Has anyone used this bullet puller over the Kinetic puller . Video shows easy extraction using your shell holder & press . You don't loose your powder in the tube like a Kinetic . Stays in the bullet case . Less mess & you don't have to bang on a piece of wood etc . to dislodge the bullet or having to take time to change out collets when switching bullet calibers . Seems good . Any reviews on the use of these . Thanks
Old 04-11-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail200 View Post
Has anyone used this bullet puller over the Kinetic puller . Video shows easy extraction using your shell holder & press . You don't loose your powder in the tube like a Kinetic . Stays in the bullet case . Less mess & you don't have to bang on a piece of wood etc . to dislodge the bullet or having to take time to change out collets when switching bullet calibers . Seems good . Any reviews on the use of these . Thanks
I've had one for a cple of years now . It's simple and it works. The only drawback , and it's no big deal, is that it take a pretty stong hand to get a good grip on the bullet. I just use a cheap Dewalt clamp to do the squeeze if I have more than a few bullets to pull. It's easier than any other puller I have used and it doesnt mark up the pulled bullets.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:49 AM

I have one....they work sorta....some bullets will pull fairly easily but most don't. You have to squeeze the living hooligans out of it to make it work....and at 68 that's just to hard for me....even in my prime I think it would have been an ugly chore. Their videos make it look like a breeze....it is NOT!
Not to mention all that squeezing pressure can't be good for keeping the lead core bullets concentric.
I gave up on it entirely and went with the RCBS puller which works great....only downside being you need to by a insert for each different caliber of bullet. I have never tried a kinetic hammer style puller so not sure how it would work...but if I was to try that kind Frankfort Arsenal has a new one that mounts to the wall which looks easier then beating the hammer style against a cement floor.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 04-12-2022, 08:28 AM

The very best I have used is the RCBS collet type puller, been usiing them for many years.....
Cat
Old 04-12-2022, 08:57 AM

Default Puller

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The very best I have used is the RCBS collet type puller, been usiing them for many years.....
Cat
X2
Old 04-12-2022, 09:44 AM

People with experience actually use kinetic bullet pullers ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-12-2022, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
X3
Old 04-12-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
People with experience actually use kinetic bullet pullers ?

Grizz
50 years experience here...I have both the RCBS collet and kinetic pullers. The kinetic puller works far better on lead or pistol type bullets or stubby bullets seated deep like 30-30 and 45-70 rounds. If you push a bit of foam into the puller there is zero damage to the bullet tip. Kinetics are good for loosening heavily crimped bullets. It is also handy in that you can pull oddball stuff you might not have a collet for.

On anything with a bit of straight bullet shank available to grip the collet puller is easier and faster.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:25 AM

I have both a kinetic and rcbs puller. I use both but mostly the “hammer “. The reason as I have a turret press and a couple bonanza coax presses , the rcbs puller tries to rotate the turret when tightening the collet on the bullet and the way the die mounts in the bonanza / forester press makes it a challenge .
Old 04-12-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail200 View Post
I had to pull a large number of bullets, bought the entire set. They are well made and work just fine. Projectiles were undamaged.

I'm clumsy enough to have eventually used the whole set, too.

I'd buy the set again. They pay for themselves in terms of frustration avoided and time saved. Powder stays in the casing too as a bonus.

I use the hammer type for one-offs or when the bullet is seated so deep the ogive can't be gripped.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2022, 10:12 PM

Default The last time I used a hammer puller….

Was with a 204R case. I pressed the bullet into it and then second-guessed myself if I had put powder into that one. Did some weighing and sure-enough it wasn’t heavy enough to have powder in it. And bc the 32gr bullets are so light it takes a pretty good swing of the hammer to pull that light bullet. And it went BANG. Suffice to say it was a really good thing there was no powder in that case.

Didn’t pull any more bullets till I got a Hornady collet puller. Don’t need any more bang’s in my gun room.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:04 PM

Only advantage of a hammer puller is on short RN bullets and cast bullets, or one that is too deep to grip with a collet. I'm of the understanding there is an FA bullet puller that apparently works not too bad, haven't seen a bunch of yeas or nays to it since they brought it out, may be worth looking at a bit deeper.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:12 AM

Have used both a kenetic puller and RCBS collet. Much prefer the collet over the kenetic and have a pretty much full set of collets for the the more common cals. The upside to collet easy to pull using the press.
The powder stays in the case no mess
Pretty quick to use
Quiet no banging the snot out out of the bench top.
The downside
if the bullet has a real tight crimp you can leave damage to the nose of the bullet.
Can be a bit spendy to tool up as each cal has its own collet
If bullet has been seated too far in sometimes wont grap onto the bullet ogive.

Each one has its owm merits Hammer type is cheap to buy and works with all but can be very messy and noisy,but doesnt damage the bullet tip.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:31 AM

The first time I tried a kinetic puller was 1967- the collet broke.
I then tried one on the 90's and it broke at the head .
The last time was at a friend's place - he broke his.
I hate the danged things !
Cat
Old 04-14-2022, 09:00 AM

I had a Kinetic, took it back after using it once. Still have Grip and Pull, RCBS and Hornady pullers. Hornady for the win, none of the others are remotely in the ball park. The grip and pull would be second place, but you have to be really careful not to mark the bullets when you pull them.