Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 PM

Default Beaver wanted for wolverine research

Greetings!

We are looking for beaver carcasses, preferably skinned, to be used in wolverine research between January and March 2011 in the Kananaskis region. We could use about 50 or more ASAP. Your help in would be appreciated!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM

I usually use them for bear research,A little later in the spring.Good luck!!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Paczkowski View Post
Greetings!

We are looking for beaver carcasses, preferably skinned, to be used in wolverine research between January and March 2011 in the Kananaskis region. We could use about 50 or more ASAP. Your help in would be appreciated!
PM me I might be able to help you out
Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 AM

Asking trappers to help out with such a task sounds so nice, but the big question today is, can we trust you???

Can we trust you, can we give or sell you beaver carcass and know that you are not out to get us, that you are not simply hoping/trying to have the wolverine listed as an endangered animal in the province of Alberta.

It is a fact that there are people trying to accomplish such a thing.

Are you going to take our beaver carcasses, and then go off and skew the data in such a manner that your personal agenda is served or are you a trust-worthy person who does not serve World Wildlife Fund, the Sierra Club or other such "credible" "stake-holder".

You cannot say that this sort of thing does not happen, it just finished happening with the grizzly bear.

Please state what group you represent, who are the shareholders and your affiliations in this study, and give references prior to asking us here for our beaver carcasses.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

Good call Ki-Ute!

I looked up John Paczkowski in my Polish/Japanese translator and it came back David Suzuki.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned

Default Again

This is the same study Brian Bildson (the guy that WAS looking after the new building for the ATA) was looking for beavers for in a previous post. He made snide comments to anyone asking for details on it. Worth a look over again. He said the ATA was involved in the study but I doubt it. More ACA money spent.

Wolf Study-incomplete
Lynx Study-?????
Wolverine Study-????

I'll stop now
Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 PM

WOW ..................The negitivety is so refreshing
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPRT View Post
WOW ..................The negitivety is so refreshing
Atta Boy, Just becuz someone expresses another point of view, they are negative... Now where have we heard that b4, i wonder...
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM

Default Still need some beaver

Alberta Tourism Parks and Recreation is doing an inventory of wolverine in Kananaskis Country. This involves setting up bait (beaver)/LDC scent lures and hair snagging sites throughout Kananasksis. We also deploy a remote camera at each site so we will either get a genetic sample, a photograph or both. We are trying to determine the distibution of wolverine in Kananasksis.

We still need some beaver, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:14 PM

John's study is independent of any work we're doing. Obviously the mystery is driving somen members crazy. Have a nice day.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 PM

NPRT, I was not born yesterday.

I made the mistake once of selling beaver to [a non-specified to me wildlife study with lots of govt shirts] for their lill' grizzly project. Bad deal huh? Mind blowing numbers of grizzly in this province, yet the science has shown that there are few grizzly left in Alberta.

Why support Pseudoscience?

The definition of Pseudoscience is a claim, belief, or practice which is presented as scientific, but which does not adhere to a valid scientific methodology.

Pseudoscience... Alberta Govt... Grizzly Bear...

The definition of Synonymous (s -n n -m s). adj. 1. Having the same or a similar meaning: synonymous words.

Before the good trappers of Alberta get duped again, we would like to have references of people whom we trust backing those people who would claim to be acting in our best interests, prior to being given that trust.

In fact this is such an important little thingy in today's day and age that perhaps our Association should really get the heads up on all wildlife projects that are going on in the province, in particular those that we would support either finacially, morally or otherwise, (BEAVERLY??!!!?)

It is a fact that there are people gunning for wolverine in this province; that wolverine is the next species on the floor to be elevated to ALBERTA-SPECIES-WORSHIP status. The intention is to make wolverine the next Poster-Child Wilderness-Child.

Mr Paczkowski, I mean you no disrespect, if you are a true, non-biased man of science that seeks to benefit all with your research, by all means, I'd give ya the shurt off m' back! But if you are seeking our help in an attempt to eliminate the trapping of wolverine in this province permanently, then I would want you to go away, actually to apologize first, then go away!!! Really, no disrespect, I don't know you from a hole in the ground. Personally, I am just one of the many little people out there trappin? Just want to see to it when all's said and done there's more to trap in this province than beaver and bloody kiyutes.

Can anybody speak good things on behalf of Mr Paczkowski, on behalf of Alberta Tourism Parks and Recreation?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned

Default Who is "we"?

[QUOTE=Brian Bildson;821750]John's study is independent of any work we're doing. Obviously the mystery is driving somen members crazy. Have a nice day.[/QUOTE]

Bildson who is "we" and what work are "we" doing? I thought you left the ATA when you abandoned the building project!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Administrator

The "we" is the Alberta Conservation Association of which Brian is an executive.

The ATA is made up of nearly 100% volunteers, including Brian. Instead of chastising the man for putting forth a volunteer effort, maybe you should be thanking him, or perhaps volunteering yourself? If you do in fact volunteer to help the ATA wolfkilr, then I apologize. If not, well...
Old 02-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post
NPRT, I was not born yesterday.

I made the mistake once of selling beaver to [a non-specified to me wildlife study with lots of govt shirts] for their lill' grizzly project. Bad deal huh? Mind blowing numbers of grizzly in this province, yet the science has shown that there are few grizzly left in Alberta.

Why support Pseudoscience?

The definition of Pseudoscience is a claim, belief, or practice which is presented as scientific, but which does not adhere to a valid scientific methodology.

Pseudoscience... Alberta Govt... Grizzly Bear...

The definition of Synonymous (s -n n -m s). adj. 1. Having the same or a similar meaning: synonymous words.

Before the good trappers of Alberta get duped again, we would like to have references of people whom we trust backing those people who would claim to be acting in our best interests, prior to being given that trust.

In fact this is such an important little thingy in today's day and age that perhaps our Association should really get the heads up on all wildlife projects that are going on in the province, in particular those that we would support either finacially, morally or otherwise, (BEAVERLY??!!!?)

It is a fact that there are people gunning for wolverine in this province; that wolverine is the next species on the floor to be elevated to ALBERTA-SPECIES-WORSHIP status. The intention is to make wolverine the next Poster-Child Wilderness-Child.

Mr Paczkowski, I mean you no disrespect, if you are a true, non-biased man of science that seeks to benefit all with your research, by all means, I'd give ya the shurt off m' back! But if you are seeking our help in an attempt to eliminate the trapping of wolverine in this province permanently, then I would want you to go away, actually to apologize first, then go away!!! Really, no disrespect, I don't know you from a hole in the ground. Personally, I am just one of the many little people out there trappin? Just want to see to it when all's said and done there's more to trap in this province than beaver and bloody kiyutes.

Can anybody speak good things on behalf of Mr Paczkowski, on behalf of Alberta Tourism Parks and Recreation?
Sorry if I offended you!
Really you brought up a valid point however after things imeadiately went down a rat hole!

Again I appologize.......
Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned

Default It's too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
The "we" is the Alberta Conservation Association of which Brian is an executive.

The ATA is made up of nearly 100% volunteers, including Brian. Instead of chastising the man for putting forth a volunteer effort, maybe you should be thanking him, or perhaps volunteering yourself? If you do in fact volunteer to help the ATA wolfkilr, then I apologize. If not, well...

Rob, I guess you didn't get or read the latest update on the state of the ATA that has been distributed to ATA members. I use to be a member (cancelled it 6 months ago) and contribute, until the direction of the "Vision" went into an agenda of impossibilities.

Read the update. If you are a member you will get one.
Unfortunately this thread has been sidetracked and I appoligize to Mr. John P. for that. It does seem a bit odd though that a study would not have all it's tools in place before commencement. Kind of like trying to start building construction without permits.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Administrator

I am a member wolfkilr, know exactly what is going on, and sat in on discussions with the former Assistant Deputy Minister regarding the "new" direction of trapping in Alberta. Believe me, some of the ideas given would make you shudder. This isn't something made up by our current executive like so many believe, which really is a shame.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:10 PM

After a little investigating/sniffing around, Mr Paczkowski, it sounds like you are in cahoots with the big Y TO Y PROJECT upon which your goal is to eliminate virtually all access and trapping in the Y TO Y AREA that is the small stretch of country that runs froM Yellowstone to the bloody Yukon

Say it's not so Johnny.. please say it's not so!!!

Mr Paczkowski, can you please state whether or not your work is affiliated in any way with the goals of the Y to Y initiative???

If it is, surely you can understand how we all feel here????

Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM

Default Studies

Hard not to blame guys for being so cautious after being totally screwed over by the Grizzly Bear Study. We all know it was very bad science. These Scientists need to patrol their ranks to expose those among them that have an agenda to support. Until then the rank and file can justify their suspicions of yet another study.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Banned

Default New Deputy Minister

[QUOTE=Rob Miskosky;822241]I am a member wolfkilr, know exactly what is going on, and sat in on discussions with the former Assistant Deputy Minister regarding the "new" direction of trapping in Alberta. Believe me, some of the ideas given would make you shudder. This isn't something made up by our current executive like so many believe, which really is a shame.[/QUOTE]

Rob what is the new Deputy Minister's thoughts....are they a bit more pro-trapping? Just wondered whether there was a change in thought/attitude up there...thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Rob Miskosky;822241]I am a member wolfkilr, know exactly what is going on, and sat in on discussions with the former Assistant Deputy Minister Believe me, some of the ideas given would make you shudder.

And this is the biggest part of our problem --- You and someone else sat in on these meetings, that's good--for you.... but why aren't these "ideas" passed down to the members and let us decide what is good for us.. Apparently we are not able to sort the s**# from the blueberries. Maybe these "ideas" were only food for thought and if it opens dialogue, so be it...