Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-03-2024, 01:31 PM

Default 3D printed magazines

Curious if anyone has tried these and how well they function and how durable they are over time. Appreciate any insight.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
Curious if anyone has tried these and how well they function and how durable they are over time. Appreciate any insight.

Thanks!
I seriously condidered this when I was searching for a magazine for my Browning A-bolt .22 Hornet. At least in my application, I could see no way possible that 3D printing could've worked given the tight and thin tolerances required for the Browning magazine box and its intricate internal mechanism. That's not to say though, that it can't work in certain scenarios where there's more room for a thicker-walled magazine-box and larger internal parts. I can't see though how 3D polymer [or plastic] when printed thin, could possibly withstand the test of time.

In my case, I ended up making mine out of stainless steel and brass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240203_131557.jpg (50.9 KB, 229 views)
Old 02-03-2024, 02:36 PM

That’s extremely well done, Artist! Glad it worked out for you. Looks way better than the original mag from New Zealand. I guess your handle “Artist” is for a reason, haha.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
That’s extremely well done, Artist! Glad it worked out for you. Looks way better than the original mag from New Zealand. I guess your handle “Artist” is for a reason, haha.
lol - thanks fishnguy! Those are kind words.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:47 PM

I have some 3d printed parts, but not a full magazine. I have some PLA and some PETG parts. I have some Baker Wings for an MDT XRS chassis, a bag plate that clips on to an Arca rail, bolt knob's, a grip for my parallax adjustment. But not a full 3d printed part. I have seen a ton of mag extensions that seem to work very well, but most of those are AICS patterned, or CZ 457 based.
I do have a few more things in mind, but not a full on magazine.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:25 PM

My friend bought each of us one of the Tikka 5 round jobs you see on Gunpost (Mag3D.CA). Supposedly long action/standard calibers. It worked just okay for him on a 30-06, my rifle is a 300 Win Mag and I couldn’t fit them in the magazine. It also didn’t fit in the mag slot well. Yeah, they’re only $35… but in my case it was wasted.

We had some Tikka cheek risers printed by a guy named Alex that turned out really well.

Last edited by brewster29; 02-03-2024 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
I seriously condidered this when I was searching for a magazine for my Browning A-bolt .22 Hornet. At least in my application, I could see no way possible that 3D printing could've worked given the tight and thin tolerances required for the Browning magazine box and its intricate internal mechanism. That's not to say though, that it can't work in certain scenarios where there's more room for a thicker-walled magazine-box and larger internal parts. I can't see though how 3D polymer [or plastic] when printed thin, could possibly withstand the test of time.

That mag looks awesome! I’d rather get one of those made. That looks like it would take some time and patience for sure, not sure I’d want to tackle that…..
Old 02-03-2024, 05:24 PM

There is a guy selling 3D printed mags for the pre 81 Browning lever guns. New mags were impossible to find and were over 300 bucks if you could find one. By all accounts they work good but I haven't tried one myself.

That hand made Hornet mag is a real thing of beauty. Great job!!
Old 02-03-2024, 05:32 PM

How is the plastic quality when 3D printing? A friend made a headlight bezel for his dirt bike and although it looks awesome, it didn't take long for it to crack. Now I'm sure it's because the fitment isn't perfect. But is it brittle?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
That mag looks awesome! I’d rather get one of those made. That looks like it would take some time and patience for sure, not sure I’d want to tackle that…..
It was a bit of a finicky project, but, with no leads on a factory mag, I had nothing but time.

What magazine are you needing?
Old 02-03-2024, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
How is the plastic quality when 3D printing? A friend made a headlight bezel for his dirt bike and although it looks awesome, it didn't take long for it to crack. Now I'm sure it's because the fitment isn't perfect. But is it brittle?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
It all depends on what material is used. PLA is cheap and plentiful, but not to resilient. But there are some very worthwhile materials.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:45 PM

Quote:
It was a bit of a finicky project, but, with no leads on a factory mag, I had nothing but time.

What magazine are you needing?
I’m hoping to acquire a Tikka M65, and as with all my rifles Imwant to have a spare mag for it. My understanding is these are out there but no longer easy to find.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I’m hoping to acquire a Tikka M65, and as with all my rifles Imwant to have a spare mag for it. My understanding is these are out there but no longer easy to find.
What caliber?
Old 02-03-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
What caliber?
270 win
Old 02-03-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Beauty work right there. You could get a side hustle going building mags. I like the way you labelled it. Awesome!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-03-2024, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I've had a number of M55 and M65 over the years, you are right about the magazines being very difficult to find. I've always managed to find a spare or two but it isn't easy. I found a .300 Win Mag mag for a friend a few years back, had to pay $300 for it. I've paid from $150-$250 for mine, to me it's worth the piece of mind, they are excellent rifles.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:33 AM

I bought a couple for my Browning 308 and Savage 223 - functional, but rough; it was a local guy out by Calgary. If I could replace with an original, I'd go that route in hindsight. His offer was just too convenient
Old 02-04-2024, 01:58 PM

That’s a beautiful work man!
As for the mags- I’m in need of one for my new rifle! Can’t find one anywhere… The rifle is H&K SL8… If somebody can make one or print one or make it appear from the thin air- I’m all in!
Old 02-04-2024, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Still admiring your handiwork!!! My wife is a very good artist & we can't figure out how you labelled it?

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-04-2024, 07:51 PM

Default Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
That’s a beautiful work man!
As for the mags- I’m in need of one for my new rifle! Can’t find one anywhere… The rifle is H&K SL8… If somebody can make one or print one or make it appear from the thin air- I’m all in!
Is this the one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240204_184927_Samsung Internet.jpg (21.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-21-2024, 06:45 AM

Have couple of the Tikka T3 3D printed mags. Would be fine IF the follower would stay inside the mag body. Put it on the shelf, and it dumps its guts reliably. Cycles ok for the limited use it gets. Going to add a hair width of epoxy to the follower and see if that helps.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:05 AM

Curious question. I know the printing of guns is illegal. Is printing specific gun parts like mags legal to print?
Old 02-21-2024, 09:32 AM

I have used the mag3d's in Tikka single stack, Tikka CTR, and AICS. They can look a little rough but all have worked just fine, no issues. Looks are mostly irrelevant if they work anyway. Fit can be a bit tight at times but they are plastic, so 5 mins with sandpaper on high spots and its solved. As a spare mag for $37 they are a good buy.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Is this the one?
It looks like the one but it’s hard to say based on a pic… It has to be double stacked mag, it a single stack….
Old 02-22-2024, 08:49 AM

the mag 3d jobbers are good for the price if you are having trouble with your tikka mag its probably because you have after market bottom metal have a close look i took a file and gave it a little tune up right by the release 2 minutes to have it working good