Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:07 PM

Default Cadets distributing poppies turned away at Edmonton store

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/11/0...edmonton-store
Old 11-02-2014, 04:12 PM

Wow not good at all if true
Old 11-02-2014, 04:14 PM

That's dissapoinying to read, I have been less than satisfied the last few times I went to that store. Probably time to shop the alternative.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:14 PM

Weird....they were selling them at the south side front door???

LC
Old 11-02-2014, 04:20 PM

Cabelas, you suck! I've shopped at Cabelas in the USA and at home for over 20 years. Not anymore!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:22 PM

Sad to see!! Unfortunately I've seen things like this happen before and as such I've seen more often than not it's the stores management not corporation as a whole that's responsible. My guess is that employee who said to get lost will be job hunting soon!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM

Not to impressed hearing this.... I would hope there is more to the story.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Banned

Well that was a A-hole move. You'd think that that sort of thing wouldn't go on in Edmonton as the base is such a huge part of the community.

Maybe the employee who made that call was an NDP voter?

Seems though that this sort of thing is happening more often in recent years, every November some store makes it into the news for turning either cadets or veterans away from their doors.

Usually it results in bad press and they then invite them back. Either way it's entirely inappropriate and incredibly disrespectful.
Banned

I'll be following this one. Hopefully it is the individual manager and not the corporate policy.

That is absolutely ridiculous and disappointing. I expect to hear from their management on this with a sincere apology before I spend another dime at their store. The manager that spoke to this should be fired for his actions given recent events just from a business perspective. What a moron.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:40 PM

Just emailed them...
Old 11-02-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Not to impressed hearing this.... I would hope there is more to the story.
That ^
Hold yer horses Boys ... so far, we've only heard one side of the story!

Mac
Old 11-02-2014, 04:59 PM

Default Did I misread the article?

Thought it said an employee did not have the authority to tell them they could stay?? They likely have bad this all blown out of context. Cause the media loves that crap.

Target kicked the vets from the legions out years ago. Never spent a penny in that place.

Cabela's is very supportive of all military and emergency services folks. They have " hometown hero " sales every six months or so to show that support. I have no doubt at all that there is a miscommunication or an individual manager was scared to make a decision. If I am wrong they will never see another penny from me or my family.

We need to support our vets and the cadet programs. My wallet has no room for an outfit that does not.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Banned

And Mac, that story better be a good one.

I can see the rope coming out of the barn already.

And if I were the manager of WSS down Henday Drive, there would be a 10 percent Remembrance Day Support our Troops Special all week.

Amazing. Right during the middle of deer rut.

This has already hit Sun News, so this might be a good story.

Sit back and enjoy fellow AO ers
Old 11-02-2014, 05:04 PM

I suggest we inundate their email and phone lines and find out if they plan on letting the cadets in.
IF they do not, you can bet that every person I know will be told to boycott them!
I just phoned the store and got shoved off to their corporate email .
I told them that was not the way they shoulfdhave handled it, and said in the email that i was expecting a reply of either a mix up with the Sun, or an apology to ALL Armed Forces personal on both sides of our border!
I am NOT a happy camper right now!!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-02-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirrl View Post
Just emailed them...
Just sent one off myself.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:14 PM

Father of one of the cadets was the employee they got authorization from?? What a media blown up situation, can't wait to hear what actually happened.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:15 PM

Make a facebook post on their page . and while you are at it send them a message too in the private messages.

https://www.facebook.com/cabelascana...paign=facebook

Last edited by petew; 11-02-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:16 PM

Talking

Ah, ta heck with the other side of the story ... lets get 'em NOW!

Mac
Old 11-02-2014, 05:22 PM

email sent to store, not to threaten but to advise my disappointment in their store policy.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:29 PM

Default cadets

the worst part of this story in my mind, is that Cabellas gets more advertisement although in some ppls minds might be bad {mine definately} there is lots of ppl out there that consider this to be an ok thing to do, I feel bad for the cadets, doing a good thing out of Respect and get turned away Damn, Ive been one of those cadets and was very proud to support the veterans and the fallen

R.I.P General Snow
Old 11-02-2014, 05:38 PM

Here is the email I sent. We shall see and I will update if I hear back. This is unbelievable.

Good evening.*

I never do this, but found this article and before I decide where to spend, or not spend my money as a new hunter, I thought I'd see what corporate had to say, as I know media can sometimes be one sided. *

Please see the article below.*

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/11/0...edmonton-store

I am in the market for two new rifles to add to my collection, along with a n assortment of other expensive hunting gear, and will not support a company that does not support our troops. *

Like I said, I was looking to see whether this is corporate policy, or just an individual's decision. *

I look forward to a response before I order from your store.*

Thank you for your time. *

Jason Ruel

PROUD CANADIAN
Old 11-02-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
Wow really I guess its your right since they gave fought and gave their lives so you can do that. You know the money goes to help the veterans out right to help pay for housing ,food medical.....
thats right but how many other charities are so sacred they expect to buttonhole people on other peoples property with the property owners blessing. i just like to keep things in perspective. its a sacred cow
Old 11-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
thats right but how many other charities are so sacred they expect to buttonhole people on other peoples property with the property owners blessing. i just like to keep things in perspective. its a sacred cow
You may have noticed that your previous comments were removed, and for good reason. Shameful that you have that opinion of the Poppy fund, the Legion and Veterans.

They're not raising money for a beer call you know!
Old 11-02-2014, 06:38 PM

Let's hold on folks, might be another side to this. However if it' turns out as the news reported, we could have a bit of a problem here.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Disappointed to say the least....
Old 11-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
So I guess your against the Salvation Army too?
Old 11-02-2014, 07:18 PM

If Cabelas is not supportive of the poppy campaign or our veterans and troops I will not be spending any money there again.....EVER.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:29 PM

I used to work for westfair foods in a management position, any charities that wanted to set up either in the store or on store property were required to apply for approval. There are a number of reasons for this the main one being for insurance purposes in case something happened to one of the fundraisers on their property. The other big issue is making sure the charity is an actual certified charity and not some scam artist, you would be surprised how many scams people try to run in the cities using the Salvation Army and other names. They also want to make sure that charities/fundraisers align with company image, you would want a white supremacist selling cookies outside your store. These approvals took one or two business days to either be approved or declined. Any major charity knows this, it sounds like the parent of one of the cadets who works at cabelas over stepped his boundaries. Major black eye for cabelas for following policy, makes them look anti veteran. Not sticking up for them just providing some insight. I buy a poppy every time I see someone selling them.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Banned

So it is OK for companies to use public shame at the register to raise money for a charity(and getting a publicly crowd raised tax deduction) but army cadets setting up a stand selling poppies to support veterans(with no corporate tax deduction) is shunned/kicked out/told to get lost.

Cabelas just lost my business entirely.

I was an army cadet and I did the "poppy parade" as a volunteer.I find this not only insulting the veterans but even moreso to the cadets who give up their time and get nothing other than the satisfaction of helping to raise money for a decent cause.

FTH
Closed Thread

Tags
cabelas