Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Default Where's the coyotes?

This fall (Oct. - Nov.), my local area (Plamondon) was inundated with coyotes. It was common to see a half dozen/day while out deer huntng. I was really looking forward to hunitng them once the big game season ended. I would hear coyotes howl almost daily near my rural home. They would sing from all directions around my house. Since the end of big game season, I think I've seen 2 or 3 and haven't been able to call in a single one. I haven't heard any howling at all and the local farmers that I have permission from are telling me similar stories. I've hunted coyotes now for a few years with pretty good success, so I believe my technique is good. Does anyone out there have any idea where the coyotes went?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 AM

Not much showing up on the trapline either. I did much better last year.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Arizona!-They are sick and tired of the snow and cold too!

Seriously though, i am seeing decent numbers around here, (Boyle area) but always in the bush and none in the feilds
Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 PM

ya give it till the snow gets a crust they can run on it feb then late feb march they will be breeding and then POW right in the kisser
Old 01-16-2011, 05:46 PM

I find that this happens every year: November they are all over the place and come december january you never see them. But during thier breeding season they start coming out again. Thats when I keep the .204 in the truck
Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Run down the street with a rabbit in it's mouth , that's what I saw last week in Calgary were I live
Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 AM

My wife was walking the dog (a Britt) Friday afternoon. Had him off leash. She looks down in the valley where he has been sniffing around. He is walking slowly along, sniffing, etc. and within 4 feet behind him is a coyote, trailing him!!!!! She calls him and he picks up the pace but so does the coyote, who is bigger than him. By this time wife is yelling her head off.

My dog finally notices yote behind him. Coyote takes off, with my dog right after him (brave/suicidal)! My wife figures it's curtains for him. A couple minutes later he comes trotting back like nothing happened.

Can't believe he didn't hear or smell or sense a yote right behind him though. Weird. Too bad I can't hunt them in town limits! LOL
Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 AM

Could had ended with another bad off leash story.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:20 PM

I hunt coyotes close to Plamondon, and I am finding the same thing. They were everywhere during deer season. It was looking like it was going to be a killer winter for coyote hunting. Now they are no where to be seen. I agree with the other comment that once the snow develops a good crust, they will start coming out in the open more. I sure hope that is the case.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM

Default Wheres the coyotes

Is it legal to hunt coyotes in Chinook FWA close to Terre Haute? Theres nothing in the regs that say you can or cant. Heard some rabbit hunters talking about seeing them so I was thinking of trying to hunt them.