Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Default Pellet guns

Been years since I really did anything with pellet guns, but am considering getting something again for plinking, or some shooting with my nephew. Can anybody tell me if a typical 495fps pellet gun would be huntable? So something to grouse size with good pellets and clean head shots? I typically pack my 410 with me while big game hunting, and figure the pellet gun would be a bit lighter
Old 05-20-2017, 11:39 AM

I would go with a 22 caliber, and you might be surprised what air rifles weigh.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:43 AM

if you want something lighter get a .22 air pistol

I shot a looooot of squirrels and cowbirds with my canadian tire special when I was younger, and put down a couple roosters

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-20-2017, 03:23 PM
Banned

Howdy dewalt18. I shoot a Gamo Big Cat, it's a 1200 fps with PBA's. I kill gophers with it. I don't know much about the slower 495's etc. When brand new, the accuracy isn't all that great as you have to go through the "dieseling" process. But after about a half can of pellets it settled down nicely and is very accurate.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:30 PM
Banned

Have spent years shooting competitively (Olympic style) and some hunting.
The sub 500fps .22 will pack more of a punch than .177, but it has a real loopy trajectory...the .177 is much flatter shooting.
As you are going to want a head shot with the sub 500fps gun, accuracy is what matters. At whatever distance you are going to shoot at you need to be able to consistently hit a quarter.
A good sub 500fps gun should to this out to about 35m on a windless day. A little less with the .22
Whether it be gophers or grouse 25-30m would be my max distance.
Another thing...though they look 'deadly' the pointed pellets tend to be the most inaccurate. I've found them to only be good for showing my friends how far into a pine plank my pellets will go.
One of the best all round hunting pellets are the JSB Exact, a domed pellet that has excellent accuracy and good penetration on small animals.
All that being said if hunting is going to be your main usage I would step up to a PAL rated gun if possible.
Something in the 800-1000 fps would be ideal.
The 'magnum' (1000+fps) guns, though more powerful tend to be less accurate than those in the 800-1000 fps range.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:45 PM

Default won't work..........

Old 05-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
The sub 500fps .22 will pack more of a punch than .177, but it has a real loopy trajectory...the .177 is much flatter shooting.
As you are going to want a head shot with the sub 500fps gun, accuracy is what matters. At whatever distance you are going to shoot at you need to be able to consistently hit a quarter.
A good sub 500fps gun should to this out to about 35m on a windless day. A little less with the .22
Another thing...though they look 'deadly' the pointed pellets tend to be the most inaccurate. I've found them to only be good for showing my friends how far into a pine plank my pellets will go.
One of the best all round hunting pellets are the JSB Exact, a domed pellet that has excellent accuracy and good penetration on small animals.
All that being said if hunting is going to be your main usage I would step up to a PAL rated gun if possible.
The 'magnum' (1000+fps) guns, though more powerful tend to be less accurate than those in the 800-1000 fps range.
Hi. Can you recommend a good .177 pellet gun. No PAL.
I bought a $60 princess auto special with cheap adjustable
open sights. Could not hit the broad side of a barn. Thanks
Old 05-21-2017, 10:11 AM

Default check the regs. boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Been years since I really did anything with pellet guns, but am considering getting something again for plinking, or some shooting with my nephew. Can anybody tell me if a typical 495fps pellet gun would be huntable? So something to grouse size with good pellets and clean head shots? I typically pack my 410 with me while big game hunting, and figure the pellet gun would be a bit lighter
Might want to check the regulations for using an air powered firearm to hunt chickens. I believe must be over 500fps.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob.303 View Post
Might want to check the regulations for using an air powered firearm to hunt chickens. I believe must be over 500fps.
You might want to verify that for yourself before posting your assumption.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Please provide the necessary reference to support this.

And you won't find it, btw.

Just say'n.

Arrows, sling shots, thrown rocks, spit balls, and truck bumpers are all legal. All you need is a valid licence.

No velocity rules exist within the Alberta wildlife act or it's regulations. The 500fps rule is a federal requirement used to describe what is a firearm.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-22-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Please provide the necessary reference to support this.

And you won't find it, btw.

Just say'n.

Arrows, sling shots, thrown rocks, spit balls, and truck bumpers are all legal. All you need is a valid licence.

No velocity rules exist within the Alberta wildlife act or it's regulations. The 500fps rule is a federal requirement used to describe what is a firearm.
Dick's right. Except for maybe the truck bumper.... but I would have to check the regs!

The thing that trips people up, is that the reg books specified a that an air PISTOL, and only an air pistol be under 500 fps. Of course, it is hard to get an over 500 fps air pistol in Canada without making or modding one, because as soon as you do, it is now a restricted gun.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I Believe a chicken in flight with a tail wind doesn't exceed 500 FPS...gotta check the regs

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-22-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Yes, but get a .22 caliber for a bit more punch. If you are after lightweight, you could get a "back packer" (forget the brand) 13" barrel .410. Or an air pistol.

Quote:
Not seeing how there is a difference in trajectory with any under 500 fps gun, regardless of caliber, if using the same brand and model of pellets.

As far as accuracy, you'll have to see what the gun likes. The round, flat, or semi flat hunting points seem to perform a little better on game, though.

I have a Benjamin Discovery in .22 that can get under 1/3" at about 32 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Whatever gun you choose, be aware that most if not all of the advertised velocities are with extremely lightweight pellets, and some of the advertised velocities are pure fantasy.
That is very true for some of the overblown, cheap, break barrels in the velocity race. But the more moderately rated ones seem to be close. The Crosman 2240, 1322, and Discovery are pretty much right on the rating.

Pureblood!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Yes, but get a .22 caliber for a bit more punch. If you are after lightweight, you could get a "back packer" (forget the brand) 13" barrel .410. Or an air pistol.

Not seeing how there is a difference in trajectory with any under 500 fps gun, regardless of caliber, if using the same brand and model of pellets.

That is very true for some of the overblown, cheap, break barrels in the velocity race. But the more moderately rated ones seem to be close. The Crosman 2240, 1322, and Discovery are pretty much right on the rating.
See here about trajectory. At under 500fps it will be less pronounced than the PAL rated guns, but still needs to be considered. http://www.crosman.com/get-hunting/airgun-ballistics

Absolutely correct. The cheap Chinese guns all have suspect ratings, and Gamo is reputed to be the very worst.
Any of the decent guns (Crosman, Daisy, Diana, Slavia, etc) all measure with lead (though lightweight pellets). The Chinese and Gamo all measure with very lightweight non lead pellets that mostly have absolutely terrible accuracy.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
See here about trajectory. At under 500fps it will be less pronounced than the PAL rated guns, but still needs to be considered. http://www.crosman.com/get-hunting/airgun-ballistics

Absolutely correct. The cheap Chinese guns all have suspect ratings, and Gamo is reputed to be the very worst.
Any of the decent guns (Crosman, Daisy, Diana, Slavia, etc) all measure with lead (though lightweight pellets). The Chinese and Gamo all measure with very lightweight non lead pellets that mostly have absolutely terrible accuracy.
I did not see anything suggesting a difference other than referencing a higher MV.

Most non pal air rifles are tuned to just under, no matter the caliber.

Air you telling me that 2 JSB Jumbos, both starting at 450 fps will have a different trajectory if they are different caliber?

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Pureblood!
Old 05-22-2017, 04:59 PM

[URL]http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress/userfiles/pelletdata.htm/URL]

Pureblood!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:06 PM

http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress...pelletdata.htm

Pureblood!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Ok, worked that time and and has useful data for comparison.

I learned a little by perusing the list. I thought that these should be a lot closer, but it appears that with most of the pellets, the BC changes depending on caliber. Some in favour of the bigger bore, and some smaller.

Pureblood!