Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 PM

Default Bottling meat

Anyone do it? Been reading a bit on how to. Seems like you just add cubed meat into a bottle with a pinch of salt and pepper and maybe a clove of garlic. Then boil for 4hrs...it that it?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:31 PM

Sterilize jars first.
Layer of Onions with some fatback then a layer of meat, continue these layers until you are filled to the neck. Make sure there are no voids and everything is packed tight as you can get it. I usually top off the top with water. I have used layers of vegetables-carrots turnip and potato in there as well with good success. Boil for 4 hrs.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 PM

I have a few relatives that do this. I thought jars with rubber seals and a pressure cooker are required to prevent bacteria from potentially spoiling the meat?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Banned

Yes.

I have done deer, moose and fish this fall.

You don't boil it at all.

You buy an All American cast aluminum pressure canner.

Then process for the appropriate time and pressure based on your elevation.

It is easy. We can do 14 quarts per run iirc.

Preserves very well and makes great use of less choice cuts. Everything comes out very tender. Great for quick dinners and moose/venison sandwiches.

There are many ways to season your red meat and prepare fish. We can some fish after a short brine and some smoked.

For red meat we add a pinch of salt and a bit of basic seasoning, the mix I can't recall offhand.

All American pressure canner will last a lifetime.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Yes, get a pressure cooker please. Botulism isn't anything to mess with. Some people will say you don't need it, but you can get a pressure cooker at crappy tire for $30 that holds 5 1L bottles. Pretty cheap price to pay to not die.

As for the actual cooking, get some salt pork from your grocery store, if you don't know what it is, ask a newfie friend. Everything is better with salt pork lol
Old 12-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Why would anyone boil for 4hrs when you can pressure can a larger quantity is half the time.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the feed back, so when you guys use the pressure cooker do you place the jars with the lids on the bottles or do you do the pressure cooking with the lids off and put the lids on after the pressure has subsided?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:42 PM

Put the lids on finger tight, not hand tight, finger tight. Place in pressure cooker for x amount of time. When you take them out the cooker the lids constrict and seal. You'll hear the lids "pop". You know that sound when you open a jar of pickles, the pop, you'll hear that ad the jars seal. Any ones that don't pop, just open up and eat right away.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 PM

Wasn't clear, place lid on bottle, them screw the cap on finger tight
Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 PM

Default Lids on

You leave the lids on and do not tighten the rings to tight. Leave an inch of headspace in the jar. When the water heats up outside the jar it pushes the air in the headspace out. When the jars come out they cool which creates a vacuum and seals the jars. If the rings are too tight it won't let the air inside escape and they won't seal properly
Old 12-03-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
You leave the lids on and do not tighten the rings to tight. Leave an inch of headspace in the jar. When the water heats up outside the jar it pushes the air in the headspace out. When the jars come out they cool which creates a vacuum and seals the jars. If the rings are too tight it won't let the air inside escape and they won't seal properly
That's what I was tryin to say lol
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 PM

I have bought three dozens of this jars and make different meats and Polish sausage recipes, 4 to 5 lbs batches. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/de...l#.Up67o5Gznfg This year my mom has brought me from Poland 2 cooking appliances that I could not find English name for. The closest translation would be "ham press cooker". SS cylinder with two lids and a spring between them. Meat is cooked (just like in jars) and cooled being pressed. It is popular in central Europe. Picture shows better cuts from a pork shoulder, spiced and cooked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0185.jpg (48.0 KB, 119 views)
Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 PM

Default Pressure cooker

Another thing you will want to keep in mind when using a pressure cooker is that when your done let it cool down on its own because if you let the pressure off trying to hurry things along you will suck all the liquid out of your jars. That's experience talking.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 12-03-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-03-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Put the lids on finger tight, not hand tight, finger tight. Place in pressure cooker for x amount of time. When you take them out the cooker the lids constrict and seal. You'll hear the lids "pop". You know that sound when you open a jar of pickles, the pop, you'll hear that ad the jars seal. Any ones that don't pop, just open up and eat right away.
When it pops, loosen off the ring some. It's not needed any more, and can be a bugger to get loose later.

At our elevations you definitely want to pressure can.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
I have bought three dozens of this jars and make different meats and Polish sausage recipes, 4 to 5 lbs batches. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/de...l#.Up67o5Gznfg This year my mom has brought me from Poland 2 cooking appliances that I could not find English name for. The closest translation would be "ham press cooker". SS cylinder with two lids and a spring between them. Meat is cooked (just like in jars) and cooled being pressed. It is popular in central Europe. Picture shows better cuts from a pork shoulder, spiced and cooked.
looks like a great way to make some deli meats.

How do you preserve the meat?

Do you use a pressure cooker/canner?
Old 12-04-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
looks like a great way to make some deli meats.

How do you preserve the meat?

Do you use a pressure cooker/canner?
After I have started doing meat in jars and ham press we do not buy any sausages or deli meat ( we still do our own smoked sausages in bigger batches). Whatever we find in our freezer from previous purchases goes for dog treats. As somebody mentioned in pressure cooker you have to leave it to cool in it. If you cook it in water or oven, tighten up jars after cooking and you have canned meat. Meat from the ham press we just vacuum pack and freeze. Doing 4 to 5 lbs of different products at a time, with 30 jars it gives us a choice of a taste.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Another thing you will want to keep in mind when using a pressure cooker is that when your done let it cool down on its own because if you let the pressure off trying to hurry things along you will suck all the liquid out of your jars. That's experience talking.
Very good advice here, I found this out the hard way!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 AM

One word.....Botulism.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
One word.....Botulism.
Two words.....pressure canner.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:40 AM

I have a personal friend who just about died from canning elk meat, he did get Botulism and because its so rare, the doctors did not know what he had nor did they think to test for it. He can finally taste food again and after 9 months has got rid of his cane. Be careful guys.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 AM

A friend of mine tells me that he soaks red meat in a salt brine to draw out the blood, then does the canning.
I tried the product this fall.
I would never have known it was mule deer.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
A friend of mine tells me that he soaks red meat in a salt brine to draw out the blood, then does the canning.
I tried the product this fall.
I would never have known it was mule deer.
That's probably a good idea my Grandma has been making canned moose meat long before I was around, anytime me or my uncle get an Elk or Moose she just wants meat to can as that's all she wants....I usually get a few cans of the finished product
There is usually a little cooked coagulation in the can ....never a big deal to me but if soaked in a salt bring to draw out the blood I would assume this would be minimized.

Canned moose meat ends up being a quick stew 90% of the time for me. Carrots, peas, potatoes boiled and drained add canned moose and the juice from the jar add a bit of flour and extra seasoning cook for 5 min done...stew in 20 min!!!

Dang I just realized I only have one can left and my grandma is down in Arizona for the winter ....Crap.....where did you guys buy them pressure cookers?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 AM

Peavey Mart has pressure cookers and accessories too, i haven't tried meat yet just my veggies from the garden, i think some pickled fish might be in order this winter.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Banned

I use a pressure canner and instead of water I use beef stock,throw in some sliced onions and man is it ever good.I lots of times just eat it right out of the jar.Tenderizes the toughest cuts of meat nicely too.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Does anybody know where to buy a ham press?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Ok looking into this a bit more what's the difference between a pressure cooker and pressure canner?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM

they are virtually the same, its just that some pressure cookers may not be able to reach the desired temp/pressure for canning different types of food that's all. some pressure cookers don't have a guage on them for pressure, they just have a pop valve to regulate the pressure to 15 psi rather than a canner where you can get higher pressures.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 PM

Default Canning meat

Been doing it with wife and earlier with parents for 60 years. Pressure canner will have recipes and instructions with it when you buy it. Don`t go with cheap model. I come home late, hungry, I open a pint and grab a fork and I`m good.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Does anybody know where to buy a ham press?
When I was searching for it, I could not find it anywhere except Poland. Search would bring recipes from Poland , Germany and other countries . I know, they are being made in those countries. Will try to get you few links. There is another variety of a ham press that I am going to get from there. If you want to see it, type "szynkowar" in your search engine or see it on youtube. Botulism, one can get from home made and some commercial sausages that are under cooked. Always make sure your product reaches safe temperature. Brining meat and using cure helps to.

Last edited by Iskra; 12-04-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:57 AM

I found this article

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-other-meats/formed

It shows how to make one