Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Tree I did die a few nights back, but I'm ok now.

I made reservations for you at the Bodo Gala. It's gonna be so much fun. A. Redford will be there dressed as a shelf elf.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 PM

Hippy chicks, all taste like granola.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:26 PM

Once I was out on public land hunting grouse, and met some some quadders. They got all weird and sarcastically asked "You're not gonna be shooting us, are you?"

What kind of stupid question is that?

Oh, and the time Ranger Bob and I were hunting in the Blackfoot and met those young female tourists... They clung to each other and screamed... Took a few moments to calm them down and we eventually had them laughing... All was good.

Mostly though, my encounters with non-hunters go well (so far!)
Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM

My friend and I were bowhunting in 410 this year and while walking down a trail we ran into some tourists. We were decked out in full camo and we made a point of staying on the trail so that we could be easily seen so as to not spook them. When they finally noticed us the first thing they said was, "please don't shoot us" lol. We laughed and said we didn't have any tourist tags, then they asked us about hunting around Canmore, as they didn't know that you were allowed to. Funny thing was, while reassuring one group of hikers that we weren't serial killers or mercenaries or whatever they thought that we were, two more hikers came by and wanted to take our pictures.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 PM

About ten years ago I was out hunting right after the first snow of the year. I was wearing an old JTF jump smock, cammo pants and a Canadian Army toque along with the old issue Canadian army scarf, the 6' long knitted green cotton one. The wind had picked up and I wound the scarf around my ears and face for warmth, with just my eyes uncovered.

A local clown on a quad came down the cutline along with friend just as I stepped out of the bush. He screamed when he saw me and pointing said..."Look, a freaking terrorist!" They both burned a U turn and departed.

Probably thought I was an Arab????
Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Those scarfs were awesome...
Old 12-04-2013, 09:47 PM

ok...This really happened.
Early this fall I ran into a ...couple...hunting...sort of. They were taking a break, or resting or something.

They were both of the same sex. It was a pretty weird encounter.
To each their own, but it was still unexpected, surprising, and kind of unbelievable.

It happened. Good thing for them it wasn't cold out yet, and obviously the mosquitos weren't bothering them. they were both decked out head to toe in flesh coloured camo.

I told the story to my hunting partner, who wasn't with me at the time, and I don't think he believed me...but it happened.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:12 PM

HH.... There is a fine line between win and epic fail when posting the interweb. So in the interest if clarity, I must ask.

You were talking about chicks, right?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:55 PM

Actually, yes. Still unbelievable. Long story. But it happened.
Once in a lifetime encounter...kind of like seeing an albino moose...only different.
I backed out of there after doing a few double takes.
I ran into them at the trailhead later when they came back to their vehicle.

Some hunting stories you end up writing to Outdoor Life, some to PH Forum, I guess.

Sigh....why did I post this? lol