Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2013, 01:16 AM

Default For A Moment I Was.....Speechless

As difficult as it may be to believe, I had an encounter on Friday that muted my rapier like wit.

I was out hunting. Re paying a favour to a pal who hosted me in his favourite haunt last year by taking him out to one of mine.

Filling a tag was secondary for the most part as it was more of an introductuary type sightseeing mission. We did a series of still hunting loops generally 2km in distance.

Not to get off topic, but loops are part of a man's DNA I'm certain. There's just something about backtracking I despise. Gets me in trouble more often than not, but a tiger can't change his spots.

Anyhooo........I'm on the final couple hundred yards to the truck. This is generally when ninja mode sorta gets parked and it's more about the destination than the journey so to speak (admit it, you've all been there. Ha).

Suddenly, after a sharp turn in the trail, I hear a loud gasp from a woman! WTF?????

I turn to see this crazy hippie chick with her mutt. The first words out of her mouth were, "Please don't shoot me!"

HUH???

Probably never been so taken aback in my entire life. The body language and utter fear in her eyes told me she honestly thought she was going to die right then and there.

Once the shock wore off and resisting the urge to tell her I've already tagged out on hippies this season won out, I tried my best to turn it into as positive an experience as possible. Laughed, told her I was generally opposed to homicide then made buddies with the pooch and tried to make some friendly 'small talk'.

Pretty much a useless attempt as she disappeared into the bush after with a skill that an everyday ghost would be impressed with.

Thoughts? Anyone else have a similar weird encounter?

Last edited by TreeGuy; 12-02-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 AM

I've been terrifying women into running into the forest for years,
Doesn't faze me anymore..
Although I never had a gun with me

Old 12-02-2013, 01:55 AM

Did she happen to have tin foil in her hair, no shoes or socks, a black silk dress and lots of candles, while twerking, and making noises like shes being choked out????

If so, I got a picture of her and it was near your hunting spot. No Joke !!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:14 AM
Banned

Treeguy does it once again with a great story.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 AM

It a funny thing. Whenever your in the bush alone for a long time and you run into another human, it's kind weird.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 AM

yup , on top of a ridge west of Nordegg , sheep hunting , tucked into a small cluster of trees and had my spotting scope set up , i watched 2 hikers heading my way and didn't think much about it, i lost track of them for a few minutes , next thing i know , a young lady started screaming at me from about 10 yards away......after my initial shock wore off it only took about 10 minutes to convince her and her BF that i was hunting sheep , not people. They didn't like that idea , but after letting them see a bunch of sheep in the spotting scope and a few laughs they headed out and i went looking for a quieter place to look for sheep.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 AM

Come on Treeguy....what did you really have in your hand?

Your rifle or your gun?

....this is my rifle, this is my gun....this is for hunting and this is for fun!

LC
Old 12-02-2013, 09:12 AM

Hippie chicks have Harry pits.

Don't ask....

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Come on Treeguy....what did you really have in your hand?

Your rifle or your gun?

....this is my rifle, this is my gun....this is for hunting and this is for fun!

LC

^^^^^^My Monday laugh
Old 12-02-2013, 10:04 AM

I've run into people in Wildland parks and plain green zone around K Country. Many people assume it's all Provincial Park and that no hunting is allowed.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Tree I am really disappointed in you that your rapier like wit failed you but I believe that to be the result of you not spending as much time on here lately as you have in the past.

What would she have said if she had ran into a bear instead little harmless Treeguy? Please don't eat me????? Like that would have deterred a bear. I would have told her that I had a granola tag that I was looking to fill.

Wonder if it is legal to bait hippies with granola bars?

It never ceases to amaze me how Disneyfied our society has become. Then there is the whole gun thing... Please don't shoot me..... Hey lady you are not in downtown (insert big city name here). Wonder if she thinks all the drive by shootings and inner city murders are all done by "hunters" gone amok.... that would really give us a bad name More educated some are the less intelligent they really become.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
As difficult as it may be to believe, I had an encounter on Friday that muted my rapier like wit.

I was out hunting. Re paying a favour to a pal who hosted me in his favourite haunt last year by taking him out to one of mine.

Filling a tag was secondary for the most part as it was more of an introductuary type sightseeing mission. We did a series of still hunting loops generally 2km in distance.

Not to get off topic, but loops are part of a man's DNA I'm certain. There's just something about backtracking I despise. Gets me in trouble more often than not, but a tiger can't change his spots.

Anyhooo........I'm on the final couple hundred yards to the truck. This is generally when ninja mode sorta gets parked and it's more about the destination than the journey so to speak (admit it, you've all been there. Ha).

Suddenly, after a sharp turn in the trail, I hear a loud gasp from a woman! WTF?????

I turn to see this crazy hippie chick with her mutt. The first words out of her mouth were, "Please don't shoot me!"

HUH???

Probably never been so taken aback in my entire life. The body language and utter fear in her eyes told me she honestly thought she was going to die right then and there.

Once the shock wore off and resisting the urge to tell her I've already tagged out on hippies this season won out, I tried my best to turn it into as positive an experience as possible. Laughed, told her I was generally opposed to homicide then made buddies with the pooch and tried to make some friendly 'small talk'.

Pretty much a useless attempt as she disappeared into the bush after with a skill that an everyday ghost would be impressed with.

Thoughts? Anyone else have a similar weird encounter?
Great story.

I did have one odd thing happen while I was fishing the Red Deer river upstream of dickson dam, middle of no where. I walked about 1 and 3/4 miles from where I parked to where I could fish. I have never seen anyone around this area. A few meadows/pastures and bush.

So I am done fishing and started to walk out. I was thinking to myself how nice it would be to have a woman to do things like this with. I truly had just said, "Lord, if their is such a woman give me a sign."

I look ahead and what do I see but a woman running towards me. A mile from the nearest road. She is running directly towards me..I freak out a bit.. and then realize she is out running her dog that I couldn't see in the tall grass. She stopped and said hi. I told her what I had just experienced and asked if she was single. She chuckled that she was married. We both had a good laugh.

And now I believe that love can possibly be found where you least expect it. Careful what you wish for..haha
Old 12-02-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
...with the pooch...
d'oh, I was hoping you said muff, not mutt...
Old 12-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Banned

had a similar experiance grouse hunting at blackfoot this fall. an elderly couple riding their bikes down the trail were approaching me. they stopped and looked at me with very scared eyes. i explained that it is not unussual to come across hunters on those well kept trails but they still looked very uneasy as they pedalled away.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Did she happen to have tin foil in her hair, no shoes or socks, a black silk dress and lots of candles, while twerking, and making noises like shes being choked out????

You're confused. That was Treeguy, that's why the chick was scared.

I've never had any thing weird like that happen. When you are as weird as I am, all else seems boringly normal

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-02-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Come on Potty you gotta share that picture.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Please
Old 12-02-2013, 03:47 PM

You silly _rick, Tigers don't have spots!!!!!!

Not quite the same, but I encountered what looked like a grandfather, father and son getting ready to hunt in the same general area. Had to drive down an old bush trail to get there, when I pulled up they were getting ready. I asked which way they were going and I politely said, that I would hunt in the opposite direction.

After some banter, the father says, remember not to shoot anything that's orange, first thing that came to mind, was sorry but I'm color blind and I can't tell orange from white..................the expression on the guys face was priceless. I just left it at that and went on my merry way....
Old 12-02-2013, 04:18 PM

Outside the town of Slave to the S.W. are tons of trails used by everyone. I was back in there about 2K from the closest road, walking through the bush basically for something to do since the season was open. I was wearing my camo coveralls and was packing my rifle, so I looked official.

While I was walking on a wide cutline, a family of four (mom, dad and two kids) pulled onto the same cutline with a quad and large quad trailer a couple hundred yards away and started heading my way. I found a good spot to step well out their way but not so far away that it felt weird and lurky.

The kids and mom were in the trailer, bouncing around and were laughing so hard that it actually made me laugh. When the dad finally spotted me, we were about 50 feet in distance apart. He had a look like, Woah! I had a happy smile on my face because I enjoyed seeing them having so much fun in the outdoors on a beautiful fall day. I could tell he was immediately reassured by my genuine happiness. And as he drove up to about 25 feet distance between us, he gave me the, "Everything good with you?" nod. And I gave him the, "Yes, Sir." nod back. He followed up with a, "Ok than, right on." smile.

It wasn't until they were going past me at about 15 feet distance that the mom noticed me standing there. The expression on her face was fear and apprehension. She actually lowered her chin to her chest but continued looking at me with fear. I felt bad because the kids noticed her reaction and went silent. I continued to smile and gave her a simple hold the hand up and wave by opening the hand and closing it a couple of times. (Not to be confused with the creepy googily fingers wave.) And she mustered the courage to smile back.

As they drove away, I continued to walk in the direction I had been heading, which was the direction they had just come from. About ten seconds after passing by, I heard the kids burst into laughter. I think they were laughing at their mom for getting so scared.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Hippie chicks have Harry pits.
Thats quite the tongue twister.....say that 10 times fast...

LC
Old 12-02-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Thats quite the tongue twister.....say that 10 times fast...

LC
It can go way to many directions. Lmao

Old 12-02-2013, 04:59 PM

Tree, you should be thankfull.

This might have had an alternative ending if you heard banjos.
Speaking of rapier.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
It's the best pic I got..I was kinda worried she would put a voodoo curse on me the way she was screaming and gurgling. I was parked on a private dead end road, waiting for 2 other AO guys to come out from their hunt...Who were in the bushes laughing at what they were watching....I locked my doors and rolled my windows up...

Old 12-02-2013, 06:48 PM

What we are witnessing here is another classic thread for the ages!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 PM

Witchcraft hmmm? I can't think of much else that chick would be up to. At least Cirque de Soleil performers have the sense to practice in the warmth
Old 12-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
It's the best pic I got..I was kinda worried she would put a voodoo curse on me the way she was screaming and gurgling. I was parked on a private dead end road, waiting for 2 other AO guys to come out from their hunt...Who were in the bushes laughing at what they were watching....I locked my doors and rolled my windows up...

Yep that looks like Tree to me,.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Another carrot-top, but one who's chosen to complement her locks with a green car. She's probably just set out a trapline for Leprechauns and is spinning some flaming Lucky Charms as incense.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Good one Red.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:14 AM

Easy there, Red. Just 'cause they killed you off the other night on The Walking Dead no need to get cranky with me. Consider it an opportunity. An opportunity to revise your role as Santa's Dad at the Bodo Buster's community theater's Christmas festival.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:18 AM

Potty......... Oh da Lord!

That right there is a one-night-stand broad that subs KY with Crazy Glue just so you can be together forever. (Don't ask me how I know.) She does look strangely familiar though. Was her name, Dale by any chance?