Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 PM

I didn't think Polaris rmk was the problem sleds I thought it was the dragon model that was terrible.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
I didn't think Polaris rmk was the problem sleds I thought it was the dragon model that was terrible.
I don't think the paint job on the hood matters ,it's the same crappy 800 engine in all of em. Actually I believe it was the fuel monitoring system that was the issue on the 800s they ran em too lean from the factory
Old 12-02-2013, 10:31 PM

Talking

Whatever you do, just remember the ABC's of snowmobiling.

Anything
But
Cat

And Polaris. Never buy Polaris. Unless you like changing pistons.

Or Skidoo. The numbers on Skidoo are impressive, 85% of every Skidoo ever made is still on the trail.

The rest made it home.

Buy a Yamaha, never look back.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 PM

Yamaha are good if you have someone to break trail for you They are really more of a submarine aren't they ? Seriously I had a Phazer 500 4 stroke. I loved it on the trail but in deep snow,forget about it .I seriously considered mounting a winch to the front of mine. It had reverse as well (occasionally)
Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
skandic and tundra. amazing machines. good luck finding a decent used one though.alot of people have had issues with the 550cc fan cooled polaris engines. not sure why. i owned a few of them and never had an issue. don't let them idle too long especially when it's warm! looking at kijiji in ontario, almost all their sleds for sale have high mileage. that means alot. they run sleds like we do our trucks!
Polaris 550 Fan experienced a lean condition at low speeds around the 15 - 20 mph which would burn the pistons. Dealers would honor most meltdowns and the solution was usually to raise the needle position to create a rich burn. I bought one last year for the missus that was rebuilt and have had zero trouble. You can usually pick them up pretty cheap.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I don't think the paint job on the hood matters ,it's the same crappy 800 engine in all of em. Actually I believe it was the fuel monitoring system that was the issue on the 800s they ran em too lean from the factory
The 800 Poo has design issues. Short piston skirt causes piston slap causes piston failure. The Fix It kit addresses this issue. Had a 900 RMK, thankfully someone stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Whatever you do, just remember the ABC's of snowmobiling.

Anything
But
Cat

And Polaris. Never buy Polaris. Unless you like changing pistons.

Or Skidoo. The numbers on Skidoo are impressive, 85% of every Skidoo ever made is still on the trail.

The rest made it home.

Buy a Yamaha, never look back.
Buy a Yamaha if you like old outdated chassis' and underpowered engines and your best friend is a chiropractor! Yamaha has teamed with Cat to use Cat's chassis for the new Yamaha Viper. Yamaha lags way behind in sled sales, especially in the mountain segment for a reason!

For a bullet proof 2 stroke engine, the 800 Suzuki powerplant in the Cat is hard to beat. The Cat M9000 4 stroke be my choice if I went the 4 stroke route.

Ski Doo Summit 800 Etec is very impressive in the mountains. Powerful, agile, light and good fuel and oil economy. Gets my vote, just slightly ahead of the Cat.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 AM

The Polaris 900s were known for eating belts and dropping piston skirts. Both can be fixed by replacing the motor mounts and changing out the pistons before you hit 1000 miles. We have two of the 900 rmks in the family and one used to eat belts and the other one never even wore out a belt. They are not trail machines as.they need snow to keep them cool.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 AM

Low power sleds last longer.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Agree with Dumolin Stay away from the triples especially the Arctic Cat ZRT! Been there done that.

You can stay away from the triples, but I would wager that a Yamaha 700 single pipe triple is likely one of the most reliable, long term motors around. Definately down on power compared to all other 700's, but good on fuel, and that sweet tune she sings is music to the ear
Old 12-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Yamaha are good if you have someone to break trail for you They are really more of a submarine aren't they ? Seriously I had a Phazer 500 4 stroke. I loved it on the trail but in deep snow,forget about it .I seriously considered mounting a winch to the front of mine. It had reverse as well (occasionally)
HAHA My buddy calls Yammys a "Wedge" cause all they do is Wedge themselves into the snow and get stuck!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
Low power sleds last longer.
Agree. Simple wth there.

Honestly the most fun I ever had on sleds, was a pair of snoscoots in 4' of powder. I had them for a couple years, and it was impossible keeping grown men off them, amazing little machines. 70cc 35 mph top speed.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-03-2013, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the info and help guys, if anyone has a bravo they don't want anymore let me know.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 PM

I am looking for a family sled as well for the wife and kids. Something around 550/600. Keep your ears open for me.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:23 PM

Find a Skandic or a Tundra. Or almost any low power fan cooled engine and you will be goin forever. Bravo is good to but the Tundra has a lot better suspension.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugs29 View Post
If I could find a bravo I would snag it. That was the only sled that we used up in nunavut. I pulled close to 8000 lbs of drill steel, she would stand right up and once the skimmer moved it was smooth sailing.
You would snag it would you. Would you offer to buy it, like, if it were a Bravo long track, a low hours long track, with handle warmers? With a 250 motor? and a damaged seat cover?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Gone Hunting

The only used skidoo that I felt I didn't get my moneys worth out of was a 1970 era Snow Cruiser, that I bought used in about 1974.

They thing lasted me less then one mile. Then I learned they had a very bad reputation.

It looked something like this. Minus the kid.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
You can stay away from the triples, but I would wager that a Yamaha 700 single pipe triple is likely one of the most reliable, long term motors around. Definately down on power compared to all other 700's, but good on fuel, and that sweet tune she sings is music to the ear
Mys going on 9000 Kms still completely Stock and it fun when the other guys shut off there sleds and ask you to go for a spin just so they hear it sing
Old 12-04-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You would snag it would you. Would you offer to buy it, like, if it were a Bravo long track, a low hours long track, with handle warmers? With a 250 motor? and a damaged seat cover?
It would depend on how far north of Peace River you are, the age of the sled and can the damaged seat be fixed with less than one roll of duct tape.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Default Early 70's

Massey Ferguson! lmao...We had a couple..Junk..Spend an hour getting one running to use for 5 minutes..lol
Old 12-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
Stay far away from just about every triple.

Best ones are low powered units. Skandics, tundras, Bravos, vickings are all bullet prof.

The bigger units are usually ran to the ground. I'd never buy a used mountain machine or one which has been modified...ever!
I totally agree with this point of view. If you can not, or do not, want to buy a brand new sled, the low the power, usually the less the damage/less to go wrong. You would not want to see some of the stuff guys do to their sleds to and above the tree line, where we go.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
The only used skidoo that I felt I didn't get my moneys worth out of was a 1970 era Snow Cruiser, that I bought used in about 1974.

They thing lasted me less then one mile. Then I learned they had a very bad reputation.

It looked something like this. Minus the kid.

hahaha the snow crusher . offered a good alternative to sandbags in the back of your truck for weight
Old 12-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugs29 View Post
It would depend on how far north of Peace River you are, the age of the sled and can the damaged seat be fixed with less than one roll of duct tape.
60 miles, about a 1998 model, and yes. The cover is cracked.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
hahaha the snow crusher . offered a good alternative to sandbags in the back of your truck for weight

LOL Yeah that's about the size of it.

But I hear the Raider was worse.

George Bernard Shaw