Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Default Discipline course for teachers cut at U of A

Looks like one of the most practical courses the U of A has offered to Education students is to become a victim of the cuts. This course, called "Classroom Mangement" has been compulsory for Ed students going out to do their student teaching practicums. Many times these courses were taught by former Principals (not myself), with real experience in the trenches. The principle that "you can't teach them if you can't control them" seems to have been overlooked by the bean counters.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Oh come on. There's always screaming and throwing stuff.

Seriously, agree. It strikes me as one of the more important courses.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:10 PM

How about a mandatory course for new parents?
Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
How about a mandatory course for new parents?
Could not agree with you more. Parenting is one of the most important and difficult challenges we face. The only training most of us get is what we learned or failed to learn from our parents as they parented us.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Looks like one of the most practical courses the U of A has offered to Education students is to become a victim of the cuts. This course, called "Classroom Mangement" has been compulsory for Ed students going out to do their student teaching practicums. Many times these courses were taught by former Principals (not myself), with real experience in the trenches. The principle that "you can't teach them if you can't control them" seems to have been overlooked by the bean counters.
Don't blame the bean counters. Blame your trusty buddy Redford. The one the ATA bought off to get elected.

I hope the Teacher's Pension Fund is nice and healthy. he he he he.

I did not vote for her, would you?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:30 PM

Begs the question: to what extent can you teach class management?
Old 12-03-2013, 08:03 PM

I blame the wildrose party and it's supporters the pcs were ripe for the picking and they couldn't seal the deal. Sometimes you just gotta try harder
Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 PM

I've taken that course and I figure its just a crock of sh**!!
They try to tell you how to control kids through manipulation and gimmicks.

Then when you get to the classroom - reality sets in...........
Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 PM

I thought the evaluation course was critical. Somebody told me it had been cancelled. Hmmm.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Oh come on. There's always screaming and throwing stuff.

Seriously, agree. It strikes me as one of the more important courses.
So...1970's...

Try and keep up... we have bark collars now...
All you need to do is tune that puppy to a TV remote and keep it loaded with fresh batteries.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:52 AM

Even if they pulled it from their curriculum, class management is really learned in the job. It's just one of those things... When I took mine 14 years ago, we talked about the "what ifs" and "what not to dos". It gave us some direction but a very incomplete view.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Don't blame the bean counters. Blame your trusty buddy Redford. The one the ATA bought off to get elected.

I hope the Teacher's Pension Fund is nice and healthy. he he he he.

I did not vote for her, would you?
I guess one could say the same about doctors. They (last year) received an 18% increase over five years and a 56 milion dollar cash bonus on year five. In comparison, teachers (last year) received a 3% increase over six years and a 1% cash bonus on year five.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignixs View Post
Exactly, teachers voted for this government is mass because she tired to buy them off and now look at what you got.
I love this. Did she buy them off or is she screwing them over? Is she blowing the budget or hacking it? "Oh, the teachers have her in their back pocket. Oh, she's ramming a forced contract down the teacher's throat!" You guys are talking like Chretien. MAYBE she doesn't owe anyone in education anything and is just making tough decisions. LOL
Old 12-04-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
Even if they pulled it from their curriculum, class management is really learned in the job. It's just one of those things... When I took mine 14 years ago, we talked about the "what ifs" and "what not to dos". It gave us some direction but a very incomplete view.
True you learn over time. But how about cutting down the learning curve? Better class management makes you a more effective teacher. How can the issue not be addressed in your formal training? You can learn somethinga right off the bat that will be helpful. Everyone thinks "I was in school for 12 years as a student, I know what it's about and how it works". No, you don't.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I love this. Did she buy them off or is she screwing them over? Is she blowing the budget or hacking it? "Oh, the teachers have her in their back pocket. Oh, she's ramming a forced contract down the teacher's throat!" You guys are talking like Chretien. MAYBE she doesn't owe anyone in education anything and is just making tough decisions. LOL
She isn't forcing contracts that for sure since it up to local boards the whip them up according the the budget she delineates.

The best deal teachers ever got was when they bargained directly with the government 5 years ago. I believe it was a total of 6% over 4 years with a 1% cash bonus.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
True you learn over time. But how about cutting down the learning curve? Better class management makes you a more effective teacher. How can the issue not be addressed in your formal training? You can learn somethinga right off the bat that will be helpful. Everyone thinks "I was in school for 12 years as a student, I know what it's about and how it works". No, you don't.
I agree with you 100%; however, the focus is on job embedded development.

In my mind, assessment and technology classes will be the new focus...I could be wrong though..
Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM

First, the politics of Alison and teachers --- I have no doubt that teachers played an influential role in Ms Redford winning the Tory nomination..... but their role in the re-election of the Tories was insignificant.
Secondly, like most courses--the teacher can make the difference, so when the Classroom Management courses are taught by the likes of former Principals---what is learned is probably a notch up from what you'd get from a Grad Student or ED Foundations Prof that has not seen the inside of a Jr. High Classroom for 30yrs. In the "good old days" we did about two weeks Student teaching before being thrown in the deep end. Classroom Management has two components - one is teachable, the other is personal/arttiude. Faculty of Ed should focus on the teachable components of "discipline"....don't send these kids intio the trenches without any tools.