Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2013, 09:02 PM

Default truck totaled in pile up who arranges towing?

My trucks been totally wreck in a pileup on the hiway who arranges the towing it has been reported and insurance contacted. Just wondering if its up to me to get it towed? As of this afternoon a tow truck couldn't get to mine without moving few other vehicles.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:37 PM

In a case like that, the police will appoint their contractors to tow it from the scene, and will be kept at an impound yard for "safe storage", and about $20-$30 a day unless you tell the tow operator otherwise. You still have to cover the cost of the tow, but most insurance company's will reimburse you. If you have AMA use it, if not get it, its worth the cost of the first tow, then you will still have four service call's you can use. hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 PM

When I hit the cow they towed it 20 miles to my house. It does NOT have to go to impound, don't fall for that. They billed my insurance company.

You do not have to pay out of pocket.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 PM

What Ken said

Mac
Old 12-03-2013, 10:25 PM

I do have ama but the insurance said they would pay towing costs but not sure on the impound.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 PM

The insurance will pay for the towing and if it goes to an impound they will pay it too. If you don't have the room you really don't need a written off pick up in the drive way and in a lot of areas you would be breaking bylaws. I would think the best place for the truck in these circumstances is the impound lot.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 PM

Make them take it to the most convenient place for you, I'm sure the tow operator won't care either way -- as the others said, you won't be paying for it.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 PM

Im only going on if the owner or driver is not on location, sorry if I was misleading.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeeHaw View Post
Im only going on if the owner or driver is not on location, sorry if I was misleading.
Don't be sorry, you posted some great info. thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 AM

You can have it towed to your house, collision repair facility of your choosing regardless of what your insurance company tells you or the impound lot. Insurance will cover the tow either way. If its leaking fluids I would just have it towed to the shop of your choosing so you dont have to deal with the cleanup on your driveway after the fact. But if its at your house its easier for you to clear out all your stuff before they come take it to auction. They also have road appraisers that can come do the estimate at your house if the vehicle is towed there. If you take it to a bodyshop and its a total loss it will end up sitting in their yard until they come pick it up but than the bodyshop can get some money for storage.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 AM

If your vehicle is totalled it doesn't matter where they tow it. Talk to your insurance Company and they will deal with it. After all they now own the truck.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
When I hit the cow they towed it 20 miles to my house. It does NOT have to go to impound, don't fall for that. They billed my insurance company.

You do not have to pay out of pocket.
Kens right. I have removed plenty of wrecks from ppls yards after they are done with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl649 View Post
If your vehicle is totalled it doesn't matter where they tow it. Talk to your insurance Company and they will deal with it. After all they now own the truck.
No, not true.
The truck is still in his name. An ins co doesn't automatically become the owner just because it's in an accident.
A ins co will say they will wave the deductible. If you agree, then it becomes theirs.
Then to the bone yard.
What if your deductible is 500, but you have brand new 1200 tires on, or a custom bumper worth 2000? Or an aftermarket stereo. You would want all this stuff
You need to do the math

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl649 View Post
After they write the cheque. You also have the opportunity to buy it back as salvage, to sell the tires, parts, etc

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 AM

Still haven't heard from the adjuster. Need to get some things out of the truck but that's about it maybe tires too.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
When I hit the cow they towed it 20 miles to my house. It does NOT have to go to impound, don't fall for that.
Well of course, Ken. They aren't going to keep a cow in impound. Sheesh. Did you pay the rancher?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Well of course, Ken. They aren't going to keep a cow in impound. Sheesh. Did you pay the rancher?
Rancher should have to cover the write off if shown his fence failed to keep his livestock on his land......

Insurance companies would bicker back and forth on that tho....
Old 12-04-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
Still haven't heard from the adjuster. Need to get some things out of the truck but that's about it maybe tires too.
If you have recent invoices for things like tires and rims and major services you had to pay for you may get a little more from them. Than you do not have to worry about taking them off or screwing around trying to find cheapo takeoffs and wasting your time.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
HAHA LOL!

No, actually I sued the farmer for negligence causing damage and loss as a result of cattle at large due to improper required enclosure maintenance. Had he not been so ignorant and miserable I would have let it be, but he needed a kick in the arse.

I won

Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Call and ask your insurance company. Always keep them in the loop.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin