Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Building a barrel

Have gotten started here on a build just looking for a guy to build a barrel for me, if anyone knows of a good gunsmith located around Calgary area please lend me your knowledge.

Tore down a weatherby 270 win building to 6.5x284, stock is ordered and when it gets here want to find someone to build and mount the barrel to the action and then glass bed it for me, opinions?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:54 AM

If I was in High River, and I wanted a barrel threaded and chambered, I would contact AO member gitrdun.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I was in High River, and I wanted a barrel threaded and chambered, I would contact AO member gitrdun.
Thanks elkhunter11
Old 12-18-2017, 12:16 PM

Do you have a blank to be chambered or are you looking for the whole package? I'd contact Bob Jury about getting a blank and then any number of smiths can put it together for you.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:05 PM

If you have the barrel blank ... I can recommend Henry Rempel in Langdon, based on about a dozen chambers he has done for me. You could call him as it is possible he may keep some barrels in stock.
If you do not have a blank and want one built to your specs and shipped, or installed ... contact KS Arms in Edm.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Looking for a blank right now and then a smith to get it chambered
Old 12-18-2017, 04:38 PM

I took a rifle to KS Arms 2 weeks ago to be rebarreled in 257 wby. I talked to Mike today and he said it should be done in a couple days. Not many gunsmiths have that quick a turnaround.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:20 PM

You need to make some decisions shopping for an aftermarket blank. If this is your first build, things you should consider include:
* CM or Stainless ...finishing cost for each.
* Cut or Button Rifled
* Twist rate for the bullet(s) you want to shoot.
* Finish lapped / stress relieved?
* Contour that will fit your barrel channel (shank diameter / barrel channel) or will it need to be turned?

When looking for a smith, you should be informed with respect to the reamer(s) specs they have available, espescially with regard to the neck diameter and freebore you are looking for.

Years ago, I made the mistake on my first build, of sending my barreled action to a smith who had to order the barrel I wanted...resulting in a multi-month wait. After that experience I purchased barrels before taking the project to the smith. My preference is to buy only barrels that are in stock when looking at international aftermarkets sold by Canadian dealers. Of course, if I want a special order, I am ready to wait, during which time I have the use of my action rather than have it sit in a smiths shop. I have purchased in stock blanks from RPS, Hirsch, Mystic, and Chou Brothers, which were usually delivered within 10 days of placing the order. I have purchased “made to my spec” blanks from KSA, Jury, and Gaillard which were typically delivered in less than two months. I understand the new KSA runs are relatively quick.
Although I used other smiths in earlier years, for the past ten years Rempel and KSA have done most of my chambering projects with turn-around times between 1 - 4 weeks.
Hope that helps.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts27 View Post
Looking for a blank right now and then a smith to get it chambered
Bob Jury can do both, and I suggest Henry Remple (Langdon) or Dave Henry (Bentley) for your smith-work...

Both Henry & Dave are forum members also.

Bob has about an 8 week turn-around, which is probably the quickest you'll find in western Canada.

I just installed my custom Bob Jury barrel a few weeks ago, did a 2nd round of load development today...

Old 12-20-2017, 08:20 AM

I just dropped a Jury barrel off at Henry Rempels. I know of a few rifles built with that combo that shoot amazing.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:56 AM

Any Canadian barrel makers building spiral fluted barrels?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Bob Jury can do both, and I suggest Henry Remple (Langdon) or Dave Henry (Bentley) for your smith-work...

Both Henry & Dave are forum members also.

Bob has about an 8 week turn-around, which is probably the quickest you'll find in western Canada.

I just installed my custom Bob Jury barrel a few weeks ago, did a 2nd round of load development today...

Jury is now clambering barrels, he has come a long ways. Who taught him how to chamber?

Cement Bench
Old 12-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post

Jury is now chambering barrels, he has come a long ways. Who taught him how to chamber?

Cement Bench
I don't know, he didn't tell me when I was at his house/shop to pick up my barrel.

Actually, I'm not even 100% sure he chambered it himself... He had to send it out to be profiled, I know that.