Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-03-2021, 11:02 AM

Default Selling fur

I apologize in advance... I know this question has been asked and answered a ton on this site but I cannot seem to get the search function to work for the life of me. And when it does bring results often the link takes me to the buy and sell page??? Anyway...

I’m snaring problem beaver for a local guy and hunting/calling/shooting dogs for another local guy. I’m a busy person with not a lot of time but I am managing to put up the odd fur.
I recognize that I’m new and my pelt handling quality reflects this.

Obviously everyone wants the best bang for their buck...so what’s worth my effort...

finding a fur buyer? (Fur buyers Red Deer Three Hills to Calgary feel free to chime in. I’m near three hills)
or
do I spend the fuel and time getting auction. Google brings back a lot of results so which direction do I go? Drive the 3hrs one way to Halfords? Westlock? Figure out the nafa auction dates (haven’t been able to find that page)....yes I’m relatively computer illiterate I’d rather spend time outside.

As of now I have two shot dogs (holes sewn up) one with tail was early fall and quality is definitely rough. And I have 5 beaver, 3 of which definitely had a learning curve. I’ll hold these and tan them myself if they’re not worth anything. I also have the castor from these. (If someone could enlighten me on getting them to market?)

I apologize for yet another newb post, thanks a ton in advance for help. If I could turn things up on the search I would....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2021, 11:03 AM

I know its not much but I’m hoping to add to it steady over the winter

Old 01-03-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
I apologize in advance... I know this question has been asked and answered a ton on this site but I cannot seem to get the search function to work for the life of me. And when it does bring results often the link takes me to the buy and sell page??? Anyway...

I’m snaring problem beaver for a local guy and hunting/calling/shooting dogs for another local guy. I’m a busy person with not a lot of time but I am managing to put up the odd fur.
I recognize that I’m new and my pelt handling quality reflects this.

Obviously everyone wants the best bang for their buck...so what’s worth my effort...

finding a fur buyer? (Fur buyers Red Deer Three Hills to Calgary feel free to chime in. I’m near three hills)
or
do I spend the fuel and time getting auction. Google brings back a lot of results so which direction do I go? Drive the 3hrs one way to Halfords? Westlock? Figure out the nafa auction dates (haven’t been able to find that page)....yes I’m relatively computer illiterate I’d rather spend time outside.

As of now I have two shot dogs (holes sewn up) one with tail was early fall and quality is definitely rough. And I have 5 beaver, 3 of which definitely had a learning curve. I’ll hold these and tan them myself if they’re not worth anything. I also have the castor from these. (If someone could enlighten me on getting them to market?)

I apologize for yet another newb post, thanks a ton in advance for help. If I could turn things up on the search I would....

If you want to go auction route look for fur harvesters as the reason your not getting results for nafa is because they are no more.

Private fur buyers if you can find the right one have been known to pay a fair dollar as well.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:08 PM

Don’t be so hard on yourself, your put-up looks fine. On coyotes, I leave my rear legs longer but I don’t know how much that matters. Fur buyer sounds like your best bet unless you have enough fur to justify a trip to an auction depot.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:28 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate it

Old 01-03-2021, 11:31 PM

Going to a fur buyer might be best as they will make suggestions as to what you can do to get a top dollar.Looks good to me,but i'am in the Yukon and do not know much about coyotes. Practice and time are the best teachers.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:00 PM

Check the GFW schedule and see what Marty has to offer

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:38 AM

Thanks! Trying to get in touch with Marty

Old 01-10-2021, 08:20 PM

You can check with Rubens furs near sylvan lake. A few years ago he was buying. Also there is a central AB trappers local, and they typically do a fur drive and will deliver furs from the Lacombe area to Westlock on a pre setup pickup schedule. There was a small fee to help cover fuel for the driver(as they did it on their own)
Old 01-11-2021, 02:27 PM

Thanks! Met up with Marty, great experience. Working on another round of fur, if only I could get them dang coyotes to come in...sell a few of those and I could pay for my trappers.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
Thanks! Met up with Marty, great experience. Working on another round of fur, if only I could get them dang coyotes to come in...sell a few of those and I could pay for my trappers.

Don’t say that ...Marty will read this.