Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-27-2020, 09:00 AM

Default Rabbit Snaring on Crown Land

Morning,
I've looked for this one online, but can't find anything current and definitive.
Looking for things to do with the family that gets everyone out of the house and away from them darn electronics.

My question:
Can we set snares for Snowshoe Hares on crown land, whether it's a Registered Trapline or not?
Not looking to be running all over someone's trapline, just want to set a few bunny catchers along the bush roads, without breaking any laws.
I know many of you know the wildlife and land use regulations by heart, so I'm hoping to get an answer, being the holidays and the Fish and Wildlife offices being closed for the "Pandemic " as well.
Thanks in advance,
Ken
Old 12-27-2020, 12:26 PM

I believe trapping of any animal without a trapping permit is not allowed
Old 12-27-2020, 02:28 PM

From the trapping regulations:

Rabbit or hare may be hunted (but not trapped), throughout the province, at any time of year, without a licence on land which the person has the right of access for hunting. A resident may use snares to take rabbit or hare, provided the snare meets Regulatory Requirements for the Use of Trapping Devices.

https://albertaregulations.ca/trappi...anagement.html
Old 12-27-2020, 03:10 PM

I guess this is another can of worms...

According to the regulations just posted; You can hunt but not trap but you can snare. So are we to understand that leg hood traps are out but snares are ok?

You may do this on any land that you have the right of access for hunting.
Seeing as you can hunt rabbits on crown land ..does that mean that you’re ok to snare bunnies ?
Old 12-27-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Snare devices, including neck snares, power snares and foot snares, may only be set for the taking of fur-bearing animals under the authority of a Registered Fur Management Licence or
— by holders of Resident Fur Management Licences for bobcat, coyote, fox, squirrel or wolf (provided they meet the requirements listed in this section) and for beaver (provided the snare loop is completely under water).
— by residents for rabbit or hare on lands to which they have right-of-access (provided the snare wire is not larger than 20-gauge and the snare loop is not more than 13 cm (5 in.) in diameter).
Looks like you can use foothold snares for rabbits and hares

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-27-2020, 04:09 PM

Where do you read that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2020, 07:53 PM

Default Not written clearly.

I think I'll reach out to a F & W officer and ask.
Not sure how this one really goes.
I believe that we have right of access to crown land, and since it's not considered a furbearer, we should be able to.
But I don't know if a Registered Trapline over rules the right of access for this.
I'll dig out the local officers cards I have , and shoot them an email.
I'll post the answer I get.
Best to know exactly how it is.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 12-27-2020, 09:23 PM

How would you handle any bycatch caught in rabbit snares? No way this is legal on crown.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:19 PM

Yes you can as per —

by residents for rabbit or hare on lands to which they have right-of-access (provided the snare wire is not larger than 20-gauge and the snare loop is not more than 13 cm (5 in.) in diameter).

this is the way too snare them with 20 gauge as they can break if on ground .... picture shows how

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Morning,
I've looked for this one online, but can't find anything current and definitive.
Looking for things to do with the family that gets everyone out of the house and away from them darn electronics.

My question:
Can we set snares for Snowshoe Hares on crown land, whether it's a Registered Trapline or not?
Not looking to be running all over someone's trapline, just want to set a few bunny catchers along the bush roads, without breaking any laws.
I know many of you know the wildlife and land use regulations by heart, so I'm hoping to get an answer, being the holidays and the Fish and Wildlife offices being closed for the "Pandemic " as well.
Thanks in advance,
Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whip-base.jpg (38.5 KB, 143 views)
Old 12-28-2020, 08:05 AM

Not sure how much by catch you'd get in a rabbit snare, especially when properly placed and covered.
The snare wire is purposely kept thin, so anything larger would simply break it, is my interpretation.
I'll contact an officer today and post the answer I get.
Ken
Old 12-28-2020, 08:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Snare devices, including neck snares, power snares and foot snares, may only be set for the taking of fur-bearing animals under the authority of a Registered Fur Management Licence or
— by holders of Resident Fur Management Licences for bobcat, coyote, fox, squirrel or wolf (provided they meet the requirements listed in this section) and for beaver (provided the snare loop is completely under water).
— by residents for rabbit or hare on lands to which they have right-of-access (provided the snare wire is not larger than 20-gauge and the snare loop is not more than 13 cm (5 in.) in diameter

Real easy to answer that one....have at it.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2020, 09:31 AM

Only accidental catch I've ever seen in a rabbit snare was a ruffie grouse twice. I'd check daily and even at that expect to feed a coyote or two.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
— by residents for rabbit or hare on lands to which they have right-of-access (provided the snare wire is not larger than 20-gauge and the snare loop is not more than 13 cm (5 in.) in diameter

Real easy to answer that one....have at it.
I’d have to agree, we have right of access on crown land so, enjoy the
Hasenpfeffer.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:46 AM

Thanks guys.
I'm now waiting for a reply from the F&W officer (not sure if that's their title anymore) and I'll post the info they send.
Just for confirmation.
Ken
Old 12-28-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Looks like you can use foothold snares for rabbits and hares
The use of the word “or” is important, without a trappers license you cannot use footholds for anything.

Rabbits can be shot or snared legally without license.

**edit I see you meant “foot snares” not foot holds. I would be using snares set for dispatch on a rabbit though... not a foot hold snare personally.

LC
Old 12-29-2020, 06:30 AM

I just bumped a topic for you guys...
Old 12-30-2020, 11:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’d have to agree, we have right of access on crown land so, enjoy the
Hasenpfeffer.

Not quiet. I believe right of access is another way of saying you have permission, which is not needed on crown land.

Whenever I see right of access mentioned it is referring to private land.

From the regulations;

Quote:
Red Fox

A Resident may, without a licence and at all times of the
year, hunt (but not trap) red fox on any privately owned land to which he
or she has the right of access.
Notice it only mentions right of access to privately owned land.

Where hunting is permitted on crown land right of access is not mentioned, because it is not needed

Quote:
Other Animals

Porcupine, rabbit, hare, raccoon and woodchuck may
be hunted, but not trapped**, without a licence throughout the province, at
all times of the year. Skunk may be hunted and trapped.

** Some exceptions apply. Please refer to the 2020 Alberta Guide to Trapping Regulations
, available in September 2020.

One exception is of course access to private land. Others can be found in the trapping regulations.

From the trapping regulations;

Quote:
Coyotes may be hunted (but not trapped), without a licence, at all
times of the year throughout the province:

a) - by a resident who has right of access to hunt on lands that are
not public lands within the Green Area;

b) - by the owner or occupant of privately owned land, on the
privately owned land;

c) - by a person maintaining livestock on public land, on that public
land; or

d) on lands described in c) that are in the Green Area, by a resident
who is authorized in writing by the person described in c).
Note again, crown land and private land are addressed separately and right of access is only mentioned for private land and leased land.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-30-2020, 03:43 PM

“Notice it only mentions right of access to privately owned land.

Where hunting is permitted on crown land right of access is not mentioned, because it is not needed”

Yup- That’s exactly what I’m saying... right of access on crown land is implied because we don’t need permission.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:09 PM

Wink

Quote:

Where hunting is permitted on crown land right of access is not mentioned, because it is not needed”

Yup- That’s exactly what I’m saying... right of access on crown land is implied because we don’t need permission.
Exactly lets not turn this thread into another song and dance when all we need is the song,,,,about a rabbit that got snared and ended up stew,

Old 12-30-2020, 05:29 PM

Not trying to throw you a monkey wrench. As a fur trappers I have to get permission to set traps on crown land. If it’s leased I have to get signed permission from the lessee, if not leased I need to get written permission from the biologist in charge of the crown land in the area. Not sure about crown land on registered trap line but would check with F&W first.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Oh but you do need permission to hunt public land, it's called a hunting license.

Trappers also need a license, ( permission ) to trap public ( crown ) land.

So why then is right of access not mentioned for public land when it is for private land.

Could it be because the two are treated as separate issues. In other words, that right of access is deemed to e different from licensed permission.

Which would mean that what applies to private land regards right of access does not apply to public land.

I know this, as a registered trapper I could set traps for Coyote on private land I had right of access too, and on my registered line which is of course Public land, but I could not set traps for Coyote, or any other species on public land I was not licensed to trap.

So clearly the right to trap public land is not automatically given.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-30-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Oh but you do need permission to hunt public land, it's called a hunting license.

So why then is right of access not mentioned for public land when it is for private land.

Could it be because the two are treated as separate issues. In other words, that right of access is deemed to e different from licensed permission.

Which would mean that what applies to private land regards right of access does not apply to public land.

I know this, as a registered trapper I could set traps for Coyote on private land I had right of access too, and on my registered line which is of course Public land, but I could not set traps for Coyote, or any other species on public land I was not licensed to trap.

For fur bearing animals... rabbits aren’t.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
For fur bearing animals... rabbits aren’t.
That is not what the wildlife act Chapter W-9 says.

I quote;

Quote:
1 In this Act,

(d.1) "fur-bearing animal" means any beaver, bobcat, badger, fisher, fox, hare, lynx, marten, mink, muskrat, otter, rabbit, raccoon, skunk, squirrel or weasel and any other species declared to be fur-bearing animals by the regulations, or any part of those animals;
But it is not at all clear what the law actually means.

MyWIldAlberta says this;

Quote:
Rabbit or Hare

May be hunted by a resident without traps, throughout the province at any time of year, without a licence. A resident may use snares to take rabbit or hare, provided the snare meets the requirements set out in the Alberta Guide to Trapping Regulations.
Nothing there about them being fur bearing or anything specific about public land.

The trapping regulations say;

Quote:
Rabbit or hare may be hunted (but not trapped), throughout the
province, at any time of year, without a licence on land which
the person has the right of access for hunting. A resident may
use snares to take rabbit or hare, provided the snare meets the
requirements set out on page 13.
Again nothing about fur bearing status and nothing specifically allowing or forbidding snaring rabbits on public land.

The Hunting regulations say;

Quote:
Other Animals

Nothing about right of access or snaring, but it does say trapping not allowed but does not say if that is throughout the province or just on public land.

So yeah, clear as mud. Who knows, you may be right, or maybe I am.

My choice would be to err on the side of caution. And only set snares on private land I had right of access to or if the local F&W officer assured me he had no issue with setting rabbit snares on the public lands he was responsible for.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-31-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:

Don't overthink this. Rabbit snaring is not rabbit trapping. Don't need a license. Can do it on crown or private (with permission of course).

The requirements in the trapping regulations only refer to loop size (max 5") and no larger than 20 ga wire.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Don't overthink this. Rabbit snaring is not rabbit trapping.

Don't need a license. Can do it on crown or private (with permission of course).

So are you a F&W officer? Or an expert in the various wildlife related acts?

Or are you just some factory worker that eat a Mars bar today.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-31-2020, 06:41 AM

ANOTHER post with lots of answers,but what is the Right one ,call F&W
Old 12-31-2020, 06:43 AM

Unhappy

which is crown or private land with permission.....jeepers is so black and white....I knew someone would turn this into a scrape....

Old 12-31-2020, 07:57 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

which is crown or private land with permission.....jeepers is so black and white....I knew someone would turn this into a scrape....
Okay Mr. genius, since you are so smart would you care to clarify this statement from the hunting regulations.

Quote:
Other Animals

Black and White is it, so can you set traps on a registered trapline and get away with claiming they are set for skunks?

By your reckoning you could but I can assure you that if you did and it was discovered you would get a hefty fine for doing so.

AO is useless for advice because self described experts like you claim to know more then a guy who has been a trapper for over sixty years.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-31-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Okay Mr. genius, since you are so smart would you care to clarify this statement from the hunting regulations.

Black and White is it, so can you set traps on a registered trapline and get away with claiming they are set for skunks?

By your reckoning you could but I can assure you that if you did and it was discovered you would get a hefty fine for doing so.

AO is useless for advice because self described experts like you claim to know more then a guy who has been a trapper for over sixty years.

Or maybe heaven forbid....king keg doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2020, 08:24 AM

Jeepers keg....person wants to snare rabbits on land he/she legally can access...yes they can providing....

The last paragraph sums it up for the OP.....

Not getting into what if's someone was to attempt to bend the rules and play stupid then they will be dealt with by the LEO's accordingly.