Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-05-2020, 11:56 PM

Default Under ice Beaver

Been working at a problem area for a local landowner. Beavers have really become an issue. Few questions as I'm continually learning and fairly new at this yet.
I currently have 10 snares out, all under ice (Yeah I guess it's winter...everythings under ice). Two are on runs out of their dens, the other 8 are spread on two snare/bait poles (I'll slowly add more as budget/time allow).
One is in direct line with their run/path of travel on the edge of the feed bed, close side to the damn (A).
One is a random set a little bit off their damn...was a best guess scenario (B)not a lot of hope on this one.
Left them for a week, low-and behold, B, the not a lot of hope, had a beaver. the Rest came up empty.
How long do you set the same spot? do you move sets every week? two? Or do you keep them in the same spots all winter? The one that caught a beaver, would his thrashing keep others away from that set in the future? Do you move it after you've snared one? Aside from green poplar are there lures or scents for these sets?
I'm fairly confident in my set off the feedbed (A) and the two on the runs...yet they didn't produce. Doesn't mean they won't, but :P Thanks!
Old 12-06-2020, 06:01 AM

Problem with baited sets right now is they have lots of their own fresh food down there. Come March or April their feed pile is running low and old. That’s when a fresh green poplar branch looks appealing.

I would stick to 330s in their runs right now.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:59 AM
Banned

Fresh groceries are always more desireable rather than my bait...Holds true for
more than just the beav..
Old 12-06-2020, 11:40 PM
Banned

There was a really good “Under Ice Beaver” thread back in 2016, maybe 2017, but I can’t find it. AO member tfng and myself were sharing experiences and more experienced Trappers were offering advice. If you can find it it’s worth reading.

If you have 330’s you ought to place them in the runs. They have to go in and out of the lodge and that’s your best bet to catching them. If you are set on using snares I’d be putting them along the edge of the feed bed. Your best bet is 330’s though imo.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:16 PM

Thankyou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2020, 12:21 PM

I believe this is it?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=280394

I have much better luck searching google with “alberta” in the search than searching the AO chat.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:46 PM
Banned

Yes.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
I believe this is it?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=280394

I have much better luck searching google with “alberta” in the search than searching the AO chat.

I loved that thread. I think there may be another.

I recall posting drawings of my snare sets on a thread and I didn't see them on the thread you linked.

I also see the photos I did post on that thread are gone. They went south with my photobucket account.

I could post them again is anyone is interested.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-10-2020, 08:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Another thread that may be helpful.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=beaver

And another one.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=beaver

I found a ton of other threads about beaver trapping and snaring.

If anyone wants to check them out here is how I found them.

Choose search from the bar just below your log-in.

Then choose trapping discussion from the search in forums window.
It's in the lower right corner of the page.

The enter keyword "beaver" in the search by keyword section at the top left of the page.

Then hit enter.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-14-2020, 12:46 PM

That is helpful thanks!
Had snares set on two runs I found ( they were massive, almost over my waders in depth right at the bank/house, and probably 24” or more in diameter) but no luck even with fencing off, after 3 weeks, checking once a week. One run I’m puzzled over as there was a very clear swim lane (thin ice air bubbles) straight from the run to the feed bed.
They’re definitely in there. Was on a walk in the dark in the fall, came across 7 or 9 of them right off the bank in a short stretch. That’s just what I saw in the dark.
I’m now running two snare poles off their feed bed, one pole I caught a juvenile in the first week, but nothing since. I refresh the bait every time I check once a week.
Being I’m new getting into this one I’m very slowly adding snares and such as time and money allow.
Thanks for the links, I’ve enjoyed reading up on this.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
That is helpful thanks!
Had snares set on two runs I found ( they were massive, almost over my waders in depth right at the bank/house, and probably 24” or more in diameter) but no luck even with fencing off, after 3 weeks, checking once a week. One run I’m puzzled over as there was a very clear swim lane (thin ice air bubbles) straight from the run to the feed bed.
They’re definitely in there. Was on a walk in the dark in the fall, came across 7 or 9 of them right off the bank in a short stretch. That’s just what I saw in the dark.
I’m now running two snare poles off their feed bed, one pole I caught a juvenile in the first week, but nothing since. I refresh the bait every time I check once a week.
Being I’m new getting into this one I’m very slowly adding snares and such as time and money allow.
Thanks for the links, I’ve enjoyed reading up on this.

Sounds like you may not be centered on the run. If you were you should at least have sprung snares.

Take a pole (dry branch or whatever is handy) and feel the bottom from where you think the one side of the run is, to the other side. There should be a harder area right in the middle of the run. It's not always there but it is oten enough to make it worth looking for.

If that doesn't work find a dry willow somewhere on the pond that is shaped like a huge bow. It should be at least 8 feet long and as close to a bow shape as possible.

Use that to reach under the ice and feel the side of the house where you think the run emerges.
Once found you should be able to push the curved stick at least partway into the house. From that you should be able to determine if they are traveling straight out or emerging on an angle.

I've seen runs that emerged at less then 45 degrees to the house.

In other words, the run may not be where you think it is.

Also, forget the bait sticks when snaring runs. They add nothing to the set.

You only need three or four dry poles. Three for guides and one for snares.

A bait set does help if you are setting out past the feed bed.

Beaver will circle the feed looking for a feed stick that appeals to them at that moment.

You can use this to your advantage. Make one set just past the feed pile, opposite the lodge. use three dry poles and a feed pole.
In this order; dry, bait, snare, dry.

You need to make some short slashes in your bait stick to make it appear as though another beaver has been trying to cut it off for to feed on.
This also makes your feed pole look fresh.

I like to use a three or four inch poplar long enough to reach the bottom with at least a couple of feet above the ice, for my feed pole.

The feed and snare poles should be no more then 24" apart and can be as little as 12" apart. My preference is for about 16" between them.

I set my snares for a 10" loop and with a 1/8 of snare diameter overlap top and bottom. I want my bottom snare just touching the bottom.

To get your first snare on bottom first push the pole into the mud on the bottom where you want the pole to sit. Then pull it out and use the mud on the pole to tell you where the bottom of your snare should be.

Leave at least six inches from the top of the uppermost snare to the bottom of the ice. There's nothing worse then a frozen in snare with a beaver in it.

One final note. Your snare pole should always be the far side of the run, from the feed bed. If a snared beaver can get hold of a feed stick he may be able to pull loose or break your pole.

The guide poles and snare pole are too close to the snares anchor point for him to get leverage off of them, but a feed stick jammed into the bottom with the top frozen into the ice makes a very solid anchor for him to pull against.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 12-14-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:34 PM

Appreciate the input. Was given some conibears I’ll get those out in the runs. Read some good things about pvc pipe and fake leaves so thought I’d try it, beats changing out poplar. I’ve got one pole in their channel on edge of feed bed, one on the backside...didn’t run dry poles....wasn’t sure, do you run them perpendicular or parallel to the feed pile? Hopefully getting more poles out throughout the week. Theres a few huts....
Realize my snare spacing might be big but we shall see! Input is always welcome.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:40 PM

Appreciate the input. Was given some conibears I’ll get those out in the runs. Read some good things about pvc pipe and fake leaves so thought I’d try it, beats changing out poplar. I’ve got one pole in their channel on edge of feed bed, one on the backside...didn’t run dry poles....wasn’t sure, do you run them perpendicular or parallel to the feed pile? Hopefully getting more poles out throughout the week. Theres a few huts....
Realize my snare spacing might be big but we shall see! Input is always welcome.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:41 PM

Old 01-11-2021, 06:20 PM

Default A learning tip

Evening,
Mr
KegRiver, excellent post describing your techniques. And thanks for the tips regarding the search function on here. I never could get much out of it.

Abe,
Kudos to you for tackling winter beaver, it is plain old hard work, satisfying, but a tough way to put up fur.
Keg mentioned using a pole to find runs and entrances. Another idea is a piece of the new style water line, with an thin metal core surrounded by a polymer. I saw this trick on the Trapping Inc. show. Season 3, Episode 12.
If I may offer a suggestion. If you have time, google "winter beaver trapping on trapping inc show"
Rich does an excellent job of showing the difference techniques he uses and he's often trying new ways of making sets. In another episode, he talks about using the white pvc as bait. In one of the comments made, a fellow suggested wrapping fluorescent flagging tape around it to create more visual appeal.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Ken
Old 01-11-2021, 06:24 PM

Thanks ken, appreciate that! I’ll check that out for sure.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:26 PM

Hard work but I’m finding I love it. I get squirrely if I’m inside too long animals are fascinating critters. Fun to learn about and puzzle out the chess game.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:02 PM

Do you guys find that there is a better time or slower time during the winter months for snaring?
I realize that the winter progresses, the feed pile dwindles down but is now a good time to start or should I wait a bit to set out snares under the ice?
Old 01-21-2021, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhoser View Post
Do you guys find that there is a better time or slower time during the winter months for snaring?
I realize that the winter progresses, the feed pile dwindles down but is now a good time to start or should I wait a bit to set out snares under the ice?
Now is as good a time as any. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2021, 10:05 AM

How often do you guys move sets? Change things up?
Do they get educated and smart after catching one?
My goal is eradication for a farmer.
I ran 2 snare poles, one in the swim channel between hutt and feed pile, one just off their trash run. Caught one in each off the start and haven’t had a tickle since.
Two weeks ago I tried two poles with white pvc and green fake leaves, one with poplar (three poles total 10snares). Two set in the swim channel by the feed pile, one on the back side of feed. Left em for two weeks checking once a week. Not a tickle. Loops haven’t even been collapsed.
I reset yesterday with all poplar bait, two poles, one on back of pile (farside from hutt, one in swim channel. They’ve actually poked their heads up in my hole as I was working).

I set 3 other huts, total of 5 connibears and 3 footholds and 3 snare poles. Most are fairly blind sets with slightly educated guesswork as to where swim channels and feed are...too deep to locate feed and there are enough air bubbles coming out of the ground all of the ice sounds hallow. Its all pocked with air, everything. Ice is 14” thick. Water is anywhere from 4’ to 8’.
I’m having a brutal time finding runs. I did 4 holes yesterday finding too much trash in all but one.
One hutt I’m for sure in the swim path, caught one yesterday, small one, first in 4 weeks.
So...how long do you leave a set? How deep do you hang your connibears?
I may end up running two Connibear on runs I know of for sure. Considering running what I have for 2-3 more weeks seeing how it goes but if nothing Ill pull out and wait for thaw. It’s been a lot of work and gas! I’d love to see something out of it, but I don’t want to stop cause I’m having so much fun. Alright...I’ll quit rambling.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:10 AM

There are 3 hutts for sure, one more in the bank I know of, one other I suspect...so 5 potential hutts in the span of 1/4 mile. 2 of those are massive beasts 6-8’ high. There’s barely a poplar tree left standing and alive.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:49 PM

If I was looking at trapping a decent quantity of beavers, how much territory would I realistically be looking at covering?

Old 01-25-2021, 01:01 AM
Banned

Where are you located, Abe? I’d be happy to join you for an afternoon if you are relatively close to Morinville.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:26 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
How often do you guys move sets? Change things up?
Do they get educated and smart after catching one?
My goal is eradication for a farmer.
I ran 2 snare poles, one in the swim channel between hutt and feed pile, one just off their trash run. Caught one in each off the start and haven’t had a tickle since.
Two weeks ago I tried two poles with white pvc and green fake leaves, one with poplar (three poles total 10snares). Two set in the swim channel by the feed pile, one on the back side of feed. Left em for two weeks checking once a week. Not a tickle. Loops haven’t even been collapsed.
I reset yesterday with all poplar bait, two poles, one on back of pile (farside from hutt, one in swim channel. They’ve actually poked their heads up in my hole as I was working).

I set 3 other huts, total of 5 connibears and 3 footholds and 3 snare poles. Most are fairly blind sets with slightly educated guesswork as to where swim channels and feed are...too deep to locate feed and there are enough air bubbles coming out of the ground all of the ice sounds hallow. Its all pocked with air, everything. Ice is 14” thick. Water is anywhere from 4’ to 8’.
I’m having a brutal time finding runs. I did 4 holes yesterday finding too much trash in all but one.
One hutt I’m for sure in the swim path, caught one yesterday, small one, first in 4 weeks.
So...how long do you leave a set? How deep do you hang your connibears?
I may end up running two Connibear on runs I know of for sure. Considering running what I have for 2-3 more weeks seeing how it goes but if nothing Ill pull out and wait for thaw. It’s been a lot of work and gas! I’d love to see something out of it, but I don’t want to stop cause I’m having so much fun. Alright...I’ll quit rambling.

I found this time of year to be slow even in the better colonies.

They breed around this time of year and often the older beaver don't move much during the breeding season.

The will even leave the main lodge and stay for time in one of the peripheral hutts.

It's a bit early for full on breeding but they could be getting in the mood and thus not moving as much.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-25-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Where are you located, Abe? I’d be happy to join you for an afternoon if you are relatively close to Morinville.

Hey thanks for the generous offer. I sure appreciate it. Im down in the Three Hills area, 250km from you...maybe a bit far. Thank you though!

Old 01-25-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I found this time of year to be slow even in the better colonies.

They breed around this time of year and often the older beaver don't move much during the breeding season.

The will even leave the main lodge and stay for time in one of the peripheral hutts.

It's a bit early for full on breeding but they could be getting in the mood and thus not moving as much.

Helpful thanks