Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-29-2016, 07:59 PM

Default where can I find a straight 4 power scope.

Looking for a straight 4 power scope and not a shotgun scope either a rifle 4 power. Called cabelas they have nothing either does wholesale sports. Thought maybe someone on here might know of a place that sells them.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:17 PM

Try P&D in Edmonton. I bought a Leupold fixed 6x from them, and if they don't have it , they will bring it in for you.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:06 PM

Default 4 power scope

I'm with you on the idea! Darned hard to find and when you do find one you'll be shocked at the price.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:57 AM

Trace Scope repairs reconditions old Weaver and Redfield scopes
Old 09-30-2016, 07:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
Trace Scope repairs reconditions old Weaver and Redfield scopes
You beat me to it Richard. I too would recommend Trace in Calgary. I have purchased a couple of used but reconditioned scopes from them. Very happy with the product.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:35 AM

Not sure your price range but there is a Bushnell Scopechief IV 4x32 forsale in Optics section. I run one on my Remington 760 and I am getting 1 to 1.5 inch groups with Federal Blue Box. Out of me, the rifle, and the scope, the scope is the most consistent factor in the combination.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:53 AM

Default Leupold

I don't think they make fixed scopes any more.........Harold
Old 09-30-2016, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...r-riflescopes/
Old 09-30-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Huh? That is mainly what I use.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Banned

P&D, Bashaw Sports, Prophet River

You'll probably have better luck with gun stores than the big box stores. I would be surprised if P&D doesn't have them.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:33 AM

In the last 2 weeks I've bought both a fixed 4 and fixed 6 Leupold off of the buy sell on this forum.
Great prices too I might add.
All I did was post a WTB ad!

There are no absolutes
Old 09-30-2016, 10:27 AM

Canadian tire in Leduc had a Weaver classic in 4x for well under $200 IIRC the last time I was through there, I doubt its sold. I looked pretty hard at it as I've been considering going to a fixed 4 for a while now, but I don't really need another scope right now.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:05 PM

I have one if you are interested...a classic Bushnell wide angle from back in the days when they made better stuff. Was on my Dad's 30-06 for years.

Let me know if you are interested via PM. Cash or possible trade for something interesting

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 09-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Huh? That is mainly what I use.
Same here. Where do some of these guys come up with this stuff?

And who is "they"? The scope gods?
Old 09-30-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post

Laughing!

-Billy Molls
Old 09-30-2016, 05:21 PM

Default fixed

Well if they are making a replacement bring back the 3X for DG and bush guns where targets are on the fly in heavy cover...us guys come up with this stuff by reading gun stuff daily and 50+ years of experience in the field ....the M8 line is defunct this is their replacement...Korth made mention of this a couple years back.......Harold

Last edited by Pioneer2; 09-30-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:27 PM
Banned

Default M8 line has become the FX line

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_M8.htm

chuckhawks.com
Leupold FX Riflescopes

Leupold FX Riflescopes

By Chuck Hawks
Leupold M8 4x33
Illustration courtesy of Leupold & Stevens, Inc.

All Leupold riflescopes come with the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee. You don't even have to be the original owner. If any Leupold Golden Ring scope is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, ever, Leupold will repair or replace it for free. There is no need for a guarantee card.

The M8 line has become the FX line, but remains Leupold's fixed power, 4-star line. FX scopes offer fully coated optics. All lens surfaces receive Leupold's standard magnesium fluoride anti-reflective lens coatings, and some models receive Leupold's Multi-coat 4 lens coatings. All FX's are built with 1" diameter main tubes made of 6061-T6 aircraft quality aluminum alloy. Standard FX riflescopes are adjusted to be parallax free at a distance of 150 yards. The coin-slot windage and elevation adjustments are of the continuous friction type and are marked in 1/2 minute of angle increments on most FX scopes. FX scopes are waterproof and fog free.

Most Leupold FX scopes are shipped with the standard Duplex reticle. This type of reticle, with heavy a crosshair that becomes a fine crosshair near the center of the field, was invented by Leupold and has since been copied by virtually all other scope manufacturers.

The FX riflescope line includes two compact models, a 2.5x20mm and a 4x28mm Rimfire Special. Compact scopes are designed to be, well, more compact than regular scopes. There is some unavoidable sacrifice in light grasp due to their smaller objective lenses. Otherwise, they are built to the same standards of performance and quality as other M8 scopes. The 2.5x20mm is only 8" long and weight 6.5 ounces. It has a 100 yard field of view of 39.5' and an eye relief of 4.9". Finish is matte black, and Duplex and Heavy Duplex reticles are offered. The 4x Rimfire Special is 9.2" long and weighs 7.5 ounces. It is designed to be free of parallax at 60 yards. It comes with a gloss black finish and a Fine Duplex reticle.

The 2.5x28mm is the intermediate eye relief (IER) scope in the FX line. It is designed to be mounted forward of the receiver on "scout" rifles or lever action rifles that eject their fired cases straight up, such as pre-angle eject Winchester Model 94's. It is also a good choice for extremely hard kicking rifles such as big bore elephant guns. Such a mounting position prevents the scope being driven back into the shooter's eyebrow under heavy recoil. Eye relief is 9-17". The unavoidable trade off is greatly reduced field of view, only 22' at 100 yards in the case of the M8 2.5x28mm IER. This scope is available in matte black or silver finish.

The FX 4x33mm is the all-around big game hunting scope. The 4x is available in gloss black with a choice of Duplex, Leupold Dot, or Post and Duplex reticles, and matte black with a Duplex reticle only. It is 10.5" long and weighs 9.3 ounces. Field of view is 24' at 100 yards. The optimum eye relief is 4". The windage and elevation adjustment range is 80 MOA. This is a good choice for rifles chambered for all-around cartridges such as the .260 Remington, .270 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington, .280 Remington, 7mm Remington Magnum, .308 Winchester, .30-06, and .300 Winchester Magnum. At 4x it offers all the magnification necessary for shots out to 300 yards on medium size big game animals.

The 6x36mm is a long range big game hunting scope that allows the use of low mounting rings on most rifles. It is 11.4" long and weighs 10 ounces. Its field of view at 100 yards is 17.7'. Eye relief is 4.3". Adjustment range is 64 MOA. Finish is gloss black, and Duplex, Post and Duplex, and Leupold Dot reticles are offered.

The 6x42mm offers more light grasp than the 6x36mm and comes with Leupold's proprietary Multicoat 4 lens coatings. It will probably require medium height mounting rings on most rifles. It comes in gloss black or matte black finishes. In gloss black finish the reticle choices include the Duplex, Heavy Duplex, Post and Duplex, and German #4. In matte black finish the reticles offered are the Duplex, Heavy Duplex, and German #4.

The final 6x option in the FX line is the 6x42mm Adj. Obj. The adjustable objective allows the parallax correction distance to be set by the shooter. This scope comes with tall 1/4 MOA "click" target-style adjustments and also features Multicoat 4 lens coatings. It is primarily intended for hunter class benchrest competition and medium range varmint hunting. For the latter it is a good match for cartridges such as the .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, and .221 Fireball. It comes in matte black finish with a Duplex reticle. This scope is 12.2" long and weighs 15 ounces. Its eye relief is 4.5". Its field of view at 100 yards is 17.7'. Adjustment range is 64 MOA.

The biggest and most powerful of all FX scopes is the 12x40mm Adj. Obj. model. The 12x40mm comes in gloss black only, is supplied with a choice of Fine Duplex or Leupold Dot reticles, and has an adjustable objective for parallax correction. It is 13" long and weighs 13.5 ounces. The big scope's 100 yard field of view is only 9.1'. Optimum eye relief is 4.2". The windage and elevation adjustment range is 52 MOA. This is a rather specialized scope most commonly seen on long range varmint rifles chambered for cartridges such as the .223, .22-250, .223 WSSM, .220 Swift, .243 Winchester, and 6mm Remington.

The Leupold FX line is one of the best and most extensive fixed power scope lines. One or another of the FX scopes is a good choice for most hunting rifles. Their retail price is fairly high for fixed power riflescopes, but so is their quality. They offer good value and performance for the money. Sometimes simpler really is better.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
us guys come up with this stuff by reading gun stuff daily
Well, obviously you don't understand what you are reading.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Canadian tire in Leduc had a Weaver classic in 4x for well under $200 IIRC the last time I was through there, I doubt its sold. I looked pretty hard at it as I've been considering going to a fixed 4 for a while now, but I don't really need another scope right now.
I have that same scope. I think I paid 140 USD for it. I may get the K6 from weaver one of these days. Great Scopes!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:37 PM

Default so they changed the name ......big deal

Quote:
Well, obviously you don't understand what you are reading.
Nor does Korth who should know servicing them are the one's that told me this tidbit..........HDF
Old 09-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nor does Korth who should know servicing them are the one's that told me this tidbit..........HDF
That's right, they changed the name, big deal. That's a far cry from a statement like "I don't think THEY make make fixed scopes anymore."

So Korth told you the M8 was discontinued and you jumped to the above conclusion...
Old 09-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

Old 09-30-2016, 09:59 PM

here is some online ..just need credit card

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bush-rs-bnr-710432.html

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Bann.../dp/B0000A0AGX

David
Old 09-30-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Both based outta the US of A!

Good luck getting these items shipped from the US of A!

ITAR export regulations pretty much have the odds of legal export of scopes down to zilch.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-30-2016, 10:33 PM

On CGN right now For those that are looking
Leupold 4x compact gloss $325

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-30-2016, 11:03 PM

I've seen them at smaller shops on occasion, never at the big box stores...I bought my fx-II 4x33 from a member here.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:09 AM

Thanks guys for all the responses I did find one locally off a member.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Gotta wonder why anyone would want one anymore, other than the nostalgia factor ? Especially us older guys.

Grizz
Old 10-01-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Gotta wonder why anyone would want one anymore, other than the nostalgia factor ? Especially us older guys.

Grizz
My own interest in them came after shooting a buck on really cold day, so cold I couldn't turn up the power on that particular scope... I struggled with it a bit cranking on the ring with way more force than should have ever been exerted on the scope. While I was messing with the scope a couple prime shot opportunities passed. I then gave up and simply shot the buck through a small opening in the brush as he passed through it.... About that time I acquired a rifle with a cheap fixed 4x on it and rediscovered that It was plenty of magnification for out to 300 yards, as far as I care to shoot in the field.

Now why would this make me want a fixed 4? Well it got me thinking about how many other times have I been unnecessarily messing around with my scope... simply because I could, not because I needed to... when I should have just quit goofing around and took the shot. At that point I realised I had probably turned up my scope for almost every shot I'd ever taken, despite knowing I could have easily made at least 90% of those shots on the 2-3x that my scopes are set on while I'm hunting. I've never missed an animal because of it, but I've deffinatly missed good shot opportunities to later take a more marginal one. On other instances I have been caught on the opposite end of the spectrum, the scope has been turned up for some reason and I am struggling to make a shot at very close range with way too much magnification.

My one misgiving about the fixed 4 is that I miss having the lower magnification when still hunting, I've never missed having the high magnification. And these days I do make most of my shots on the 2x setting that the scope on my pet rifle bottoms out at, original problem more or less solved, but I do still entertain the idea of getting a fixed 4 from time to time.

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-01-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
My own interest in them came after shooting a buck on really cold day, so cold I couldn't turn up the power on that particular scope... I struggled with it a bit cranking on the ring with way more force than should have ever been exerted on the scope. While I was messing with the scope a couple prime shot opportunities passed. I then gave up and simply shot the buck through a small opening in the brush as he passed through it.... About that time I acquired a rifle with a cheap fixed 4x on it and rediscovered that It was plenty of magnification for out to 300 yards, as far as I care to shoot in the field.

Now why would this make me want a fixed 4? Well it got me thinking about how many other times have I been unnecessarily messing around with my scope... simply because I could, not because I needed to... when I should have just quit goofing around and took the shot. At that point I realised I had probably turned up my scope for almost every shot I'd ever taken, despite knowing I could have easily made at least 90% of those shots on the 2-3x that my scopes are set on while I'm hunting. I've never missed an animal because of it, but I've deffinatly missed good shot opportunities to later take a more marginal one. On other instances I have been caught on the opposite end of the spectrum, the scope has been turned up for some reason and I am struggling to make a shot at very close range with way too much magnification.

My one misgiving about the fixed 4 is that I miss having the lower magnification when still hunting, I've never missed having the high magnification. And these days I do make most of my shots on the 2x setting that the scope on my pet rifle bottoms out at, original problem more or less solved, but I do still entertain the idea of getting a fixed 4 from time to time.
All mine are 3x to 9x, permanently set on 9. Never found a reason yet to reduce the setting. Much better for shot placement.

Grizz