Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2007, 10:57 AM

Default looking for website

Does anyone know of a website that I can go to that will tell me what item's I cannot bring back to Canada from the U.S.A.? Basiclly hunting + fishing supplies.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 AM
sheephunter

The Canada Customs web site will be helpful but it's also critical to know what you are permitted to take out of the U.S. For that, go to the ATF website. Just because Canada allows it in does not mean that the U.S. allows it out.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Things you cannot bring into the country

You driving to Cabela's? You won't be checked by US Customs when leaving the US for Canada. I really don't know of any hunting or fishing supplies you can't bring into the country if you buy it legally in the US. You're not saying guns so lets not discuss guns. Anything they sell in Cabela's I'm pretty sure you can bring back home. There is stuff you can't bring into the country but as far as basic hunting and fishing supplies? Stay away from elephant tusk fishing rods...............ditto TJ...consult Canada Border Services Agency website.

Last edited by CNP; 11-29-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
You won't be checked by US Customs when leaving the US for Canada.
Wow, you haven't crossed the border too many times lately. Spot checks of people leaving the U.S. by the U.S. boys are quite common and the Canadian boys will send you back to U.S. Customs if they think you aren't following all the U.S. laws. I know it happened to 209x50 and me when returning from a turkey hunt. I heard it on a messageboard won't keep you out of jail. I wouldn't be willing to chance it..........
Old 11-29-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
You driving to Cabela's? You won't be checked by US Customs when leaving the US for Canada.
Are you 100% sure of this?
More advice given under an alias on the internet.
The US does not allow export of brass, bullets, scopes, or other major fireams parts such as barrels, triggers etc.
Without a valid export permit. And a export permit will not be issued unless you have a valid import permit.
Now I highly doubt the US border people are doing export searches to each and every person but all it would take is once, and then what? I surely dont want to find out what sort of trouble you would get in crossing laws which surround US Homeland Security.
This much I know is 100% true, If you dont break laws you dont or wont suffer the circumstances.
It's just like speeding, just because every one says they dont enforce in that magic 10KM over zone it must be ok to go 10K over all the time, but lo and behold when they do a Zero tollerance blitz ever one wonders why? Give me a break, it says this is the maximum so why act pizzed off when you get nailed.
Same for border and import/export laws, someday they are gonna do a blitz and when they do a bunch of experts are gonna be asking why.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-29-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Hunting And Fishing Supplies

Number 1. Break no laws (knowingly). Number 2. I've been across the border literally 100's of times driving and flying. Lets use flying as the first example. You buy a rifle scope in Chicago. You check-in at O'Hare in Chicago and leave your bags with the check-in attendant. Enjoy your flight Sir. There are no US Customs agents to process through (none) and you are not asked to fill out any forms that ask you if you are exporting any items subject to ITAR. How do you know if you are exporting items subject to ITAR? Does the average traveller know what ITAR is? NOT. You arrive in Toronto and provide your proforma declaration to CBSA. On that form you truthfully wrote down what you had purchased. The CBSA agent notes the form asks you some questions maybe and unless you have any taxes or duty to pay.............away you go. Never have I been stopped at the US border on my way back home to Canada - after 100's of trips. There is no line to stop at, you simply keep driving until you get to the Canadian border. I suppose their may be times when the US Border Patrol is on high Alert...but I wouldn't be concerned if I got stopped and I had a scope in my possession at all. Buying stuff online is a totally different ballgame. On-line sellers use a courier to ship/export their products. The shipper/Courier cannot move this product until an export license is produced. Their-in lies the problem. You legally buy stuff for personal use and take it back across the border with you, declaring it, and if it is not prohibited in Canada I feel that I have done due diligence. If you import ammunition into the United States (you go their hunting) you are required to take any remaining ammunition you have back with you. That is the law (US). How do you explain that? It looks like ammunition from the USA (it's made in the USA lol). You have to know the law to apply the law...I'd go to Cabela's and be perfectly comfortable in buying anything, for personal use, that is legal to be imported into Canada. I'd concentrate my focus on that aspect rather than searching through ITAR/ATF documents.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:06 PM

If you wish to break the law that's your business. If you want to expound the doing so to others, that makes it irresponsable.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 PM
sheephunter

Wow, that's without question the worst advice I've ever heard on here. Speaking from experience, I have been stopped coming out of the U.S....more than once and I'm sure someone like Rackmaster that works at the border can attest to the fact that it does happen. Secondly, you are right when flying that you don't go through U.S. customs but you do realize they X-ray all baggage....right. You think when security sees a bag destined for Canada with a rifle scope or ammo that they won't alert Homeland Security. Come on!

Please no one listen to this advice as I guarantee that ehntr won't be hiring a lawyer to help get you out of hot water.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Right - I won't be hiring a lawyer for anyone

I am truly apologetic for any ill advice I have given. Somehow the main thrust of this changed from hunting and fishing supplies to guns and gun parts despite my
Quote:
You're not saying guns so lets not discuss guns.
statement on my first post. Yes I mentioned "rifle scopes" which may or may not be included as an ITAR restricted item. ITAR covers any optic that is built to military specifications i.e., night vision/thermal imaging optics including rifle scopes, binoculars and cameras. Here is an excellent link
http://www.questar.ca/faqs.htm#Can_I_Bring_Back
you should read prior to even thinking about purchasing guns, gun parts and ammunition in the United States. These link, however good it is, is not a comprehensive or legal document.

Too much chicken-little on a couple posts here. If you think you'll end up in jail for coming across the border with a rifle scope (non ITAR scope) you probably have a underground bunker to hide in the event of a nuclear attack. Like I tried to suggest, Joe Canadian has no idea about ITAR and its restrictions. Not to suggest that one should avoid educating themselves...but the reality is, it is not being advertised and even if you are aware of ITAR, what products does it cover? Primarily, the people who know about ITAR are the ones who tried to make an on-line purchase and were thwarted by the requirement to obtain an export permit. Some companies refuse to sell any scope internationally only because they cannot interpret ITAR themselves.....even though ITAR only restricts mil spec optics. They do this because penalties are severe enough that most companies have applied a broad restriction on exporting themselves. For instance, if they are not sure what can and can't be exported it is easier to just not export any optics.

TJ...........you come on. A rifle scope in a piece of checked baggage is going to ring alarm bells? Firearms with or without scopes or scopes without firearms and ammunition are shipped in baggage regularly between the US and Canada. Hunters do it all the time if I'm not mistaken.

ITAR is a very complex piece of work.

Dick. I never once suggested breaking any law
Quote:
Number 1. Break no laws (knowingly).

I expect a response from you guys..................come on now. The guy wants to buy some hunting and fishing supplies.........not outfit an army.

Knight Hunter. Glad we could entertain you.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
TJ...........you come on. A rifle scope in a piece of checked baggage is going to ring alarm bells? Firearms with or without scopes or scopes without firearms and ammunition are shipped in baggage regularly between the US and Canada. Hunters do it all the time if I'm not mistaken.
You won't find it in my baggage without the proper documentation.....
Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Documentation?

...and what documentatuion would that be considering that no documentation is required for a typical hunting scope (NON ITAR - which means non mil spec as I described above).
Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 PM
sheephunter

You said hunters do it all the time...if I were taking my hunting rifle to the U.S. with a scope on it...I'd have the proper documentation for the rifle. I don't know many hunter that just fly around with loose scopes.

Anyhow, this is bordering on rediculous.....I'm not going to flirt with U.S. law on the chance I might not be searched...do whatever you please but I'd high recommend that anyone else traveling to the U.S. do their due dilligence and check with authorities on both sides of the border. That's all from me on this topic.......
Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Loose Scope a Problem?

...so your saying the scope by itself does not need any documentation. Good, I'm glad were clear on that now. Nobody going to jail.
Quote:
Please no one listen to this advice as I guarantee that ehntr won't be hiring a lawyer to help get you out of hot water
Is there any need for this advice anymore?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more clear in my question. I;m mostly interested in a hunting blind, black powder cleaning supplies, winter camo, ice-fishing tent, plastic sled, items along these lines. If I'm going for a day trip, I don't figure on coming home empty handed. As far as guns, scopes, ammo, I shop Canadian.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:00 AM
sheephunter

Then you should most defintitely be good to go....
Old 11-30-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

Please no one listen to this advice as I guarantee that ehntr won't be hiring a lawyer to help get you out of hot water.
AGREED. If you want advice on this board about hunting, products, etc. great. Good place to get it. I use it all the time. But I'm surprised at the number of here people that ask for legal, regulatory or administrative advice! It's like asking the bartender about that growth on your neck... ASK the experts! Canada Customs, F&W, Canadian Firearms Center, whatever. I wouldn't risk my neck or livelihood on legal advice from ANYONE on here.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 AM

Knight Hunter...

Have a good day at the candy store. Never hurts to put some thought into this before going as you have done. Check the tags for country of manufacture. Made in USA and Mexico is duty free. Lots of textiles in Cabela's are made in Asia. Some Asian countries have a hefty tariff which you will pay on the Canadian side. Upwards of 18%. With our buck doing so good..............who cares..........it's still a bargain lol.

You know, my experience with customs anywhere in the world is don't hide anything. A person should be able to proceed through customs with confidence as opposed to trepidation. A complete/truthful declaration will always get you treated fairly. I've witnessed how bad it can get after customs observes a false declaration...a much closer look is usually the net result. Beside's, it would be embarrassing.

Tariff item 9013.10.00 00 -Telescopic sights for fitting to arms; MFN Tariff is 5%. Free if manufactured in the USA or Mexico. Exportable from the USA without a permit if it is not controlled by ITAR (i.e., a typical hunting scope - not mil spec) lol.

The sky will not fall on your head if you buy a scope.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:51 AM

What about the whiskey I hide in the fender of my truck in burlap bags?