Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 PM

Default a little truck buyin' advice?

Well I'm in the process of buying a new truck and wonder what you guys think. Will incentives get better in Dec. than they are in Nov? Getting pressure from the salesman to buy NOW before the deal becomes no good at the end of the month. He knew from the get-go that I wanted the truck in Dec. not Nov. Or do I try to get some 'extras' to close the deal this month? BTW I'm buying a Toyota Tundra.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:48 PM

lol when i read the last sentence i cracked up cuz i also delt and bought a toyota, toyota dealers always rush u, i think they are the pushiest. id say wait till december , the deal will be the same or might even be better, s a young guy i got folled into buying so fast i learnt my leason i love the truck but i think i coulda got a better deal, i coulda got him to through things in, but i didnt, and u can always get them to throw things in anytime. and if you fell pressured dont buy
Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 PM
stubblejumper

Toyota is not under the same financial pressure that the big three are right now,and their truck sales are strong.As a result,the deals may not get better in December.By the way,I have had my Tundra since February and am very pleased with the truck,especially the 5.7 engine and six speed transmission.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:27 PM
sheephunter

Don't forget the GST is going down in January!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:12 AM

I was gonna say, make sure they give you the lower GST rate if you are gonna buy now.. heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Don't forget the GST is going down in January!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:17 AM
KyleM

You most likely wont find any deals on any Toyota trucks, not just the Tundra.

They dont have huge stock piles of cars like Ford, Dodge or GM........Why you ask? Because Toyotas sell

You could venture to the US if you would like to buy something with say 20k on it.....Thats what Im doing.
Its well worth your time
Old 11-22-2007, 08:36 AM

I agree with Kyle. I would suggest looking through carmax.com or cars.com and search the make / model and see what the US has to offer. If you do not want to go through the hassle of bringing it up into Canada, at least you have a lower price as leverage with the local Toyota guy.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:27 AM
stubblejumper

Be aware that the 2008 Tundra can't be imported into Canada since it is on the prohibited list.In fact most 2008 Toyota models are on the prohibited list.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:31 AM
sheephunter

They aren't prohibited, they just aren't approved by Transport Canada yet so you won't be able to licence them until they are.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:41 AM

This prohibited models thing really burns me. All it is is the latest loop-hole for the car companies to keep Canadians from buying vehicles in the states. Since they know they can't win the battle otherwise, they have removed minor safety features that are mandatory in Canada and not necessary in the US. That way Canada puts them on the "not allowed to import" list and the car companies get what they want (us paying way more for the vehicles here).
Old 11-22-2007, 11:07 AM
stubblejumper

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...ection12_0.htm
Old 11-22-2007, 12:07 PM

Try this method with your pushy salesman, I do this with out my spouse as she cannot handle the pressure from the salesman.
Tell the salesman what you really have to have for a deal, PUSH the limit even further than you think reasonable, you will be amazed how they will come to you if you can stand to stay away from talking to the salesman for a week or so! Stand your ground! If you can really stand to walk away from a deal, if it doesn't meet your needs, you will be successful!
Old 11-22-2007, 04:58 PM

Go to different dealers and play them off on each other, if they wont come down in price then get them to toss in extras like remote starter, box liner etc...they will be hungrier in Dec cuz they have presents to buy like the rest of us.OH and the 5% GST thing also....or wait till Jan when their VISA bill comes in lol
Old 11-22-2007, 09:36 PM

Default truck buy

Wait until there are only 2-3 days left in the month because a lot of dealers "need" to reach monthly sales and they are a little hungrier. Waiting until the end of December is better as well because of the year end quotas that are trying to to reached. Also, the dealers get bigger rebates (kick backs) based on the number of units they move for the year. Don't make the first offer, let them make the first offer and be ready to walk away.

Geo
Old 11-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Banned

Default One other thing

Always remember that the salesman is NOT your friend, he is the enemy. When he goes to the back to "talk to the manager" they are laughing at how they are gonna screw you. If he pulls that stunt just get up after a bit and slowly start walking away. (Don't worry, you won't get far, they are watching you) If they try and pull any crap just walk away. Let them know you are serious, but there are a ton of dealers and new vehicles for sale. Don't ever worry about hurting their feelings, they're salesmen, they have no feelings. They'd sell their mothers right hand for 50 cents.

This is something I always fight with myself over as I hate being rude to other people, but when it comes to car salesmen... I have a friend that used to sell cars and he was the nicest guy you could meet, but when he was playing a customer he was ruthless. The stereotypes about car salesmen are all true with a few exceptions I'm sure. I'm sure there are some upstanding salesmen that really do look out for you out there.

Know more about the truck than he does so you can start making him feel incompetent right away. Ask him technical questions. When he tries to BS you, tell him he's wrong. Usually they don't know very much. Luckily my first new truck I bought was from a new salesmen and he was pretty bad at it. He chased after me out of the store a couple times to get me to come back in. (This is bad form as it demonstrates desperation and a good salesman will never chase after you)

Oh, and I heard the Tundra's weren't moving too fast a few months ago when they first came out. You might want to check into that. I know Toyota was forced to lower their initial pricing in order to try and get things moving on the Tundra. Not sure if things have changed recently or not. I looked at the Tundra and they are laid out really nice inside and are nice drivers. I wound up getting an F350 diesel this summer(so far no flames), but the Tundra's were damn tempting.

Good luck, and have fun. Buying a new truck should be fun and don't get stressed if you leave a few dollars on the table. Car salesmen gotta make a living too.

Last edited by rugatika; 11-23-2007 at 07:46 AM. Reason: adding
Old 11-23-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
They aren't prohibited, they just aren't approved by Transport Canada yet so you won't be able to licence them until they are.
Sheephunter,

Curious where you got your info from? The research I have done says the 2008 Tundra and Tacoma are non admissable into the country. This new list came out on November 1st. Said to be because the do not have the proper factory installed immobilizer.

I was told you cannot cross the border with them, even if trailered across because of the non-admissable status.

I may have to settle for a used '07. No big deal, same truck anyways.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:52 AM
sheephunter

pm sent Longdraw.....
Old 11-23-2007, 09:06 AM

Default hmmm

A friend of mine just picked up a 2008 Tundra in Idaho 2-3 weeks ago and had no problems what so ever.....in fact he just registared it yesterday.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:19 AM
stubblejumper

[QUOTE]
Quote:
A friend of mine just picked up a 2008 Tundra in Idaho 2-3 weeks ago and had no problems what so ever.....in fact he just registared it yesterday.
It depends on the date that it was manufactured.If it was manufactured on or before September 1,2007 it is not inadmissable.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...ection12_0.htm
Old 11-23-2007, 09:56 AM

I know Honda just dropped their prices on atv's and motorcycles to match the prices in the US and I heard that their vehicles will soon follow. Maybe the rest of the automotive manufactures will follow.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:01 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I know Honda just dropped their prices on atv's and motorcycles to match the prices in the US and I heard that their vehicles will soon follow.
Of course this might be a little incentive for Honda to drop prices.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...lawsuit_070926

On the other hand,VW,AUDI,PORCHE,and BMW dropped their prices before being sued.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
I know Honda just dropped their prices on atv's and motorcycles to match the prices in the US and I heard that their vehicles will soon follow. Maybe the rest of the automotive manufactures will follow.

Price gouging is a hard habit to break...
Old 11-23-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
Price gouging is a hard habit to break...
Ain't that the truth.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:06 AM

I'm interested in a new Tundra as well. I want the 08 Double Cab loaded. This will be my 4th Toyota truck. My first was a used SR5 which I negotiated a decent deal on. My second was a 99 Tacoma which I believe I could have negotiated a better deal on. My third, and current, is a 04 Tundra which I believe I could have negotiated a better deal on.

I'm stopping by every Toyota dealer in Edmonton plus phoning every dealer within the general Edmonton area including as far as Red Deer. This time around, I'm playing for keeps. No more being 'friends' with a salesman as this tactic does NOT payoff in ANY way including price, service, maintenace, etc. This time around, I'm out for the best deal possible. End of story. I intend to purchase in the spring but I will negotiate as though I'm ready to buy at any time. I WANT every salesman I meet to call me.

I will wait to see what better deals come in January, in February and in March. Sales are slow in the winter so I'll work that to my best advantage. I'll deal with every salesman at each of the dealerships. I will only purchase when I'm convinced I negotiated the best deal possible. I only want a new truck, I don't need a new truck.

Bobby B.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
My third, and current, is a 04 Tundra which I believe I could have negotiated a better deal on.
Bobby B.
I am on my 6th Toyota, an 04 Tundra as well. When I bought this Truck from the dealer the pricing Canada wide was called "access pricing", Code for price fixing. They would not negotiate one cent.

If you are not financing the truck through toyota, or any dealer for that matter, let them think you are, they will generate a deal based on this. Then when you are with the business dude to go through the financing, whip out our cheque book to pay, say you just changed your mind and want to pay for it. They generally keep the pencil sharper if they are doing the financing, because of extra 4-6% per anum on the purchase price that they will be making as well.

Last edited by LongDraw; 11-23-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:48 PM

I would do some homework on the new Tundra's first. I am in the market for a new truck (3/4 ton diesel most likely not 1/2 ton gas though) but I have read up on both sizes before I made that decision. The new bigger engine in the Tundra last year was a dud on fuel mileage. They struggled with it big time. So if you are buying this past years leftover model years you will have the same potential issue. I have not heard anything about the new one.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:49 PM

i sure wish we could get the tacoma or tundra in a diesel.....
Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 PM

y
Old 11-23-2007, 06:55 PM

i have just enjoyed diesel trucks more than gas.....just personal i guess...
Old 11-23-2007, 06:57 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
The new bigger engine in the Tundra last year was a dud on fuel mileage. They struggled with it big time. So if you are buying this past years leftover model years you will have the same potential issue.
As someone that has actually owned a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 engine since February,I can comment on the fuel mileage.Although it has 86hp and around 70ftlbs torque more than my 2004 gmc with the 5.3 engine,the fuel mileage has been virtually identical.In fact my 2007 tundra has matched the fuel mileage delivered by my friends with the older,smaller Tundra with the 4.7 engine.Check out some 2007 truck comparisons such as those in Edmunds,Motor Trend,and Truck trend,and you will see that despite having the most power in class.the 5.7 Tundra has delivered fuel economy that was better than the dodge 5.7 hemi,the GMC 6 liter, and the ford 5.4.If you look at the EPA ratings,the GMC has a higher rating,but in actual testing the GMC engine fell short of the 5.7 Tundra.