Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2016, 08:57 PM
Banned

Default Hunting success

I was asked today if I ever calculated the success rate of my harvests and thought it was good idea
Whitetail bucks I'm 14/14=100%
Whitetail doe =100% can't remember how many tags I had
Mule deer 11/14=78% didn't carry a tag from 2012 till I drew this year
Elk-2/14 =7%
Moose-1/2=50%
Bear 0/14=0%
I didn't count this year yet
Old 10-22-2016, 09:02 PM

how about how many days you spent out hunting to get your animals. 14/14 is easy if you devote 65 days a season in the bush, but if someone only has a few days to get out, they might not be getting meat, or would they?
Old 10-22-2016, 09:06 PM
Banned

Oh man I couldn't count days for as long as I can remember I have 3 weeks off each in September October and November so I get to hunt a lot. It's nice getting 4 weeks holidays and working 7 on 7 off
Old 10-22-2016, 11:03 PM

I have hunted too many years and held too many tags to calculate this out....that and my memory is not that great.

LC
Old 10-22-2016, 11:18 PM

I find that those that can afford to be guided seem to usually have higher success rates. Also, the more money you have the better your odds. Not that it is wrong, I just wanted to point it out that one can buy a pretty good success rate if that is one's concern. There is always someone that just has the most incredible luck, like standing in the middle of an empty field and the animal will run towards them, stop, turn broadside, and wait for the shot.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:20 PM

Default Hunting success

[QUOTE=Slicktricker;3365463]I was asked today if I ever calculated the success rate of my harvests and thought it was good idea

Whitetail bucks I'm 14/14=100%

Whitetail doe =100% can't remember how many tags I had

Mule deer 11/14=78% didn't carry a tag from 2012 till I drew this year

Elk-2/14 =7%

Moose-1/2=50%

Bear 0/14=0%

I didn't count this year

Where is the OP from? This is my first year hunting big game in Alberta and I'm 1/1 with Wt does! I'm hoping to still get an elk, mulie, and my other two WT tags filled, but I will fill in that info later lol hopefully....
Old 10-22-2016, 11:26 PM

I don't put the hours in nearly so much as I did when was younger, but my lifestyle as different then.
As far as the ratio of kill:hours hunted however, it is very high.
None of it matters to me as much as being able to get out of bed and hunt without undo difficulty now .
Cat
Old 10-22-2016, 11:27 PM

Every year I have held a white tail tag...I could have filled it, I just chose not to in many circumstances due to the age, sex or quality of the deer. I think there are many who would have the same story.

LC
Old 10-23-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Every year I have held a white tail tag...I could have filled it, I just chose not to in many circumstances due to the age, sex or quality of the deer. I think there are many who would have the same story.

LC
I am thinking of how I can excuse myself too, for the future, because, so far I an 100%, but don't ask me about size, age or sex - it's all legal. And don't ask me for how long I was hunting WT, because it's embarrassing
PS. And, sometimes, really exhausting.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
how about how many days you spent out hunting to get your animals. 14/14 is easy if you devote 65 days a season in the bush, but if someone only has a few days to get out, they might not be getting meat, or would they?
I guess if your meat hunting or trophy hunting or attempting to beat your personal best. I spend a lot of time out but hang tags, let em go let em grow but this year might be different as I got a bad urge for pepperoni!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
i don't put the hours in nearly so much as i did when was younger, but my lifestyle as different then.
As far as the ratio of kill:hours hunted however, it is very high.
None of it matters to me as much as being able to get out of bed and hunt without undo difficulty now .
Cat
Exactly
Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
I am thinking of how I can excuse myself too, for the future, because, so far I an 100%, but don't ask me about size, age or sex - it's all legal. And don't ask me for how long I was hunting WT, because it's embarrassing
PS. And, sometimes, really exhausting.
Usually by the time I start chasing whitetail, the freezer is already full with elk or moose. So a lot of whitetail get a pass as the meat is no longer needed.

LC
Old 10-23-2016, 07:05 AM

Are you trying to fill the freezer, or are you trying to put something on the wall?
Or.
Are you enjoying your favourite time of year, surrounded by people who share the same passion? Are you bringing along a new hunter, hoping to see the fire lit in their belly?

It's all about the stages we as hunters go through.

Where are you?

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/what-kind-of-hunter-are-you

There are no absolutes
Old 10-23-2016, 08:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Are you trying to fill the freezer, or are you trying to put something on the wall?
Or.
Are you enjoying your favourite time of year, surrounded by people who share the same passion? Are you bringing along a new hunter, hoping to see the fire lit in their belly?

Where are you?

Very true, stages, I really enjoy doing the grunt work and getting a newbie into the woods, in this case my son who is learning, in fact everyday in the woods we learn something new.
Great time of the year.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Banned

I'm in Rocky Mountain house. I'm not rich by any means I save year round to be able to take my time off and never been guided. I work hard to fill my tags I bow hunt till November.1, It's hard to discribe I don't just hunt for meat I choose to take older mature deer with bigger racks.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

Every year l can go hunting is a successs as far as I'm concerned. My hunting success rate is 100% so far even though I average about 1 whitetail buck every 3-4yrs and the last time I shot a whitetail doe was in the 1900's. My freezer has always had moose, or elk, or deer, or a combination of all three every season and I've had all new experiences every year to go with it. Now I have a new generation of hunters I'm bringing up and my success rate doubles every time I go out. I get excited when I pull the trigger, whether it be the one that's on my bow release, or the trigger on my rifle. Now with my next generation in the field I get even more excited when they pull the trigger than when I do myself.

Bring a kid out Hunting........ it's the gift that keeps on giving!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

If paper counted I would be 100%
I am becoming a vegetarian.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I have hunted too many years and held too many tags to calculate this out....that and my memory is not that great.

LC
X, a whole bunch

I have found that some years where better than others and think that was mainly due to the amount of time I had to spend outdoors chasing game.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:39 AM

Let's see:

Elk=1/2
Moose= 1/3
Antlered WT= 4/8 with 100% opportunity
Antlerless WT= 2/ 8? 100% opportunities as well
General mule deer = 0/4

Could have done better on deer but some times I hold out for a bigger buck, not a trophy by no means but mature I hope. Always buy supplemental tags , have lost count of how many years now but oddly enough have only used them on the years I've held out looking for a big buck. Have never actually tagged two deer in one year. Tagged one Doe this year and hoping for a buck. The Doe meat is almost all gone already.!

Best year was a spring bear followed by a November moose followed the next day by a WT buck way back when up north here there were still general moose tags in November.

As long as I can get out I am happy. Lots of tag soup over the years.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Every year l can go hunting is a successs as far as I'm concerned. My hunting success rate is 100% so far even though I average about 1 whitetail buck every 3-4yrs and the last time I shot a whitetail doe was in the 1900's. My freezer has always had moose, or elk, or deer, or a combination of all three every season and I've had all new experiences every year to go with it. Now I have a new generation of hunters I'm bringing up and my success rate doubles every time I go out. I get excited when I pull the trigger, whether it be the one that's on my bow release, or the trigger on my rifle. Now with my next generation in the field I get even more excited when they pull the trigger than when I do myself.

Bring a kid out Hunting........ it's the gift that keeps on giving!!!
This is true
Old 10-23-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Or.

Where are you?

Exactly! These days I often pass opportunities to other hunters that haven't had a lot of opportunity to harvest animals,, or I simply pass because the animal is not what I am looking for, or I already have enough meat in the freezer. Therefore the percentage of tags that I fill, would not represent the opportunities that I have had to fill them.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:

LC
This is my story too... As best as I can remember.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2016, 05:15 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
... It's all about the stages we as hunters go through.

Where are you?
Killer Elite. In fact so damn many years spent at this game I can hardly believe my body still manages to cooperate. Neither can my SawBones, but he somehow manages to squeeze out another year time after time.

Most of those years lately much to the benefit of an up and coming Young Gun or two...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 10-23-2016, 10:29 PM

For a few years I was one animal per hunting trip, and most trips are only a morning or evening hunt. I ended up with a deer and a six point elk about twelve hours apart and then a moose on my first day of hunting with my young son and then another seven point elk on one side ( the other side was broke). I was actually quite happy last year when I had a hard time connecting with anything and was able to come home and not have work to do.