Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Every method has its time and place for me, and I've successfully harvested deer truck hunting, still hunting, and sitting and waiting. As long as its legal who cares.
The trouble with truck hunting is a lot of it is not legal and it's definitely a nuisance. How many threads do we need to read about guys bombing into a field at sunrise and ruin another guys hunt? I will not advocate for that behavior. It seems to be the norm as opposed to the exception. Go ahead and drive the lease roads. No problem. It's the renegade rambos out there that really give truck hunting a bad rep.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyhunter View Post
How on earth did it get into the tree stand, Don?
Probably the same way as this one did.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:18 AM

i dont think anyone here wouldnt stop to shoot a deer in a field beside the road they are driving on if they had permission.

road hunting can be done responsibly and legally.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
i dont think anyone here wouldnt stop to shoot a deer in a field beside the road they are driving on if they had permission.

road hunting can be done responsibly and legally.
I agree and don't think that's the debate.
It's the evidence presented by so many just on this forum alone that there are renegades bombing around shooting fields up and stirring up trouble. They know who they are and if nobody says anything against it, it will just keep happening. In contrast, it feels like most here defend it using the argument-divided we fall. This "hunting practice" is done usually by trespassing goofs who should really know better. That's my beef. Not the guy who has access and is respectful....
I'm with the OP on this one. It's great that dad wants to take his kid out. But what is hunting becoming?
Old 10-20-2016, 08:29 AM

I don't believe that anybody is defending people using a vehicle to participate in illegal hunting be it a boat, ATV or truck.
Using a vehicle whole accessing private property is no different than walking onto private property without permission .
Cat
Old 10-20-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't believe that anybody is defending people using a vehicle to participate in illegal hunting be it a boat, ATV or truck.
Using a vehicle whole accessing private property is no different than walking onto private property without permission .
Cat
No you're right- not out rightly defending the poachers. But protecting them by blanket statements such as "divided we fall". I condemn those actions and encourage people to get out of the truck (if physically able) and enjoy the bush.
My $.02
Old 10-20-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
First of all - let me state that I am like you and still hunt. That is the way i was taught and that is what I will do until I die.

Think of the it this way.
You think truck hunting is bad - should get out and carry your gun across the fields
John thinks hunting with a bolt action is bad - should be using a single shot
Pete thinks using a gun is bad - should be using a bow and arrow
Dave thinks using a bow and arrow is bad - should sit in a tree and when an animal walks by you jump on his back and slit his throat with your flint knife.

Who are we to judge another man's style.
X2
maybe people like to road hunting because they have a disability
or they ant to take the kids and want to go for a drive
but I always laugh at the end of Nov when is minus 20 and the non road hunter are driving around lol
either way its just another way to hunt but please don't shoot off the roads
Old 10-20-2016, 08:41 AM

As a young lad I was taught more or less hunting from a truck in Manitoba, as I grew up I realized the only way to hunt is on foot quading into an area and walking. driving into an area and walking. and I still feel the same way more than once I've walked couple miles into my stand and had idiots driving right at dark and dusk into the field that they had no permission on ,seeing deer shot off my road and left four hundred yards out in the field. I think the only place for Road hunting is for disabled people and hunting lease and Crown Land my two cents worth.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 243 View Post
X2
maybe people like to road hunting because they have a disability
or they ant to take the kids and want to go for a drive
but I always laugh at the end of Nov when is minus 20 and the non road hunter are driving around lol
either way its just another way to hunt but please don't shoot off the roads
You wont find me driving around in prime hunting conditions
Old 10-20-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
The trouble with truck hunting is a lot of it is not legal and it's definitely a nuisance. How many threads do we need to read about guys bombing into a field at sunrise and ruin another guys hunt? I will not advocate for that behavior. It seems to be the norm as opposed to the exception. Go ahead and drive the lease roads. No problem. It's the renegade rambos out there that really give truck hunting a bad rep.
I fully agree with you but I would say that truck hunting can be done legally and if it's done in an illegal manner it's poaching just the same as the guy who walks into a private field and tags a buck without permission.

It would be nice to see the father and new hunter get out of the truck and learn about deer behavior rather than drive around and wait for an opportunity, I also agree. But that is up to those guys to decide, not us.

When my daughter and son are old enough to join me, I will introduce them to all methods including truck hunting, as I think it is a very valuable method to scout, especially on the prairies. It's what you do after the game has been spotted...
Old 10-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Gone Hunting

Smile

Quote:
No you're right- not out rightly defending the poachers. But protecting them by blanket statements such as "divided we fall". I condemn those actions and encourage people to get out of the truck (if physically able) and enjoy the bush.
My $.02
When my mobility allowed, I put on a lot of "boot miles" in the bush, preferring that method to any other. I did use my quad to get back as far as I could, park it and then walk. Unfortunately both of my ankles are caput to the point where I require a cane for assistance and balance. It is quite a performance when I pull the trigger on my 7mm Rem Mag. This is all due to osteoarthritis. I now have a certificate from F&W that has to be renewed annually to allow me to shoot within 50 yds of a vehicle. A doctor's signature is required.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
My $.02
Nobody is protecting anybody participating in illegal actions by a blanket statement, " united we stand - divided we fall" obviously pertains to people participating in LEGAL hunting and fishing activities, not poachers.
Cat
Old 10-20-2016, 09:02 AM

Default Crossbow vs Vertical bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Too bad bow hunters & hunters using a crossbow don't think the same, but that is another thread all on its own.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Banned

I used to think field hunting would be easy that's why I never tried hunting it till now. I finally received permission to hunt mule deer and I can say it's not easy with archery tackle at all. If rifle was opened I would be skinning a deer right now
Old 10-20-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Nobody is protecting anybody participating in illegal actions by a blanket statement, " united we stand - divided we fall" obviously pertains to people participating in LEGAL hunting and fishing activities, not poachers.
Cat
I guess my question is then why do we have so many people complaining about Road hunters? I'm trying to answer that question and I really think it's because we champion road hunting as just another form of hunting. And I'll agree that for the mobility restricted it is. Average joe on some lease roads, no problem. However, all those threads and posts from last year in regards to Road Warriors tearing up the cropland shooting from the roads would indicate there is a real problem here. Shooting from a regularly maintained gravel road is not legal although guys try to stretch that into being so . By championing the practice of road hunting I feel were allowing people to operate without moral conscience in the gray areas therefore causing trouble for others. I know what you're saying. I'm just trying to answer that question and contrast it. I'm not trolling or stirring the pot. I really believe it's a problem in this province based on the anecdotal evidence of this forum. I would love to have time to dig up the threads but I'm heading into meetings.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:39 AM

If it were not for "truck" hunting, my dad would have quit at 70. He is 80 and this may be his year to stop. We dont cruise the gravel roads and field edges of farm land. We dont shoot out of the truck or over the hood. We do meander along crown land lease roads and trails. If it's nice, we go in his argo 10 km's back and watch known areas and trails in the Wmu we know well.

Many a great memory has been made and a few deer have been taken from the truck over the years. My dad has done his time and walked thousands of miles and backwood camped for moose his whole hunting life, times change, people get old. It keeps him wanting to go out.

I guess we be bad hunters when dad comes out with me and his grandson and we chose to drive all day vs dragging an old man out in the cold bouncing around in an argo to get to our "walkin" spot.

He and his best friend just came back from 2 days of "truck" hunting in a northern zone. Nothing in the truck but a bag full of memories and the smile he had from a good time out in the woods, that's what matters to me. If my son and I have to give up a day out in the back woods and meander trails in a truck, we will take that choice every time if it means Opa is with us. I hope my son is still taking me out in his truck when i'm 80.

I really don't get the anti truck sentiment. I get that slob hunters wreck other hunts when they drive across fields, up and past a guy they have seen walking for a mile but there is nothing wrong with a day spent tooling around the crown land with good people, good food and conversation Imo.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:55 AM

I wonder how much happens in the woods we don't know about.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:55 AM

Threads on here and everywhere Else complaining about truck hunters running over swaths and accessing private property without permission , etc are proof in themselves that that type of behaviour is not condoned by the rest of the hunting community .
Cat
Old 10-20-2016, 11:25 AM

Too bad for the young guy that was going to have a pretty sweet rifle to start his hunting days.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
First of all - let me state that I am like you and still hunt. That is the way i was taught and that is what I will do until I die.

Think of the it this way.
You think truck hunting is bad - should get out and carry your gun across the fields
John thinks hunting with a bolt action is bad - should be using a single shot
Pete thinks using a gun is bad - should be using a bow and arrow
Dave thinks using a bow and arrow is bad - should sit in a tree and when an animal walks by you jump on his back and slit his throat with your flint knife.

Who are we to judge another man's style.
I agree wholeheartedly, sometimes truck hunting to get the lay of the land is necessary. Then you can go out on foot. Totally depends on the area and terrain.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 11:42 AM

Back to the beginning-good on buddy for taking his kid out. I can't wait until I get to do that.

3 pages in, it's been beat to death but nothing wrong with cruising from A to B and seeing a shooter and getting out to take him. Obviously as long as done so legally. I like to walk the woods. I enjoy it. But I have a few different areas I go at different times of day, depending on the zone I'm in and you bet I watch like a hawk while travelling in the truck. A few years back I'd do first light and last light. Big hike ins, settling down and waiting and watching. But mid day was down time to take a cruise, have a sandwich. You never know what you'll see. Most of the time it's just a nice slow drive with good scenery to rest up. Then hike in to my spot for last light.

Hope everyone has a good and successful season this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 11:51 AM

I don't get why people hate on truck hunters so much. Yes there are people who drive around in fields and shoot off the hood etc.. however there are foot soldiers out there who also hunt unethically.

The way I look at it is the truck hunters just don't know what there missing out on. They can drive the roads and glass for the easy pickings all they want. Just means there is less competition for us who like to go into the back country and more remote areas.

At the end of the day there's meat in the freezer and a story to be told. In the hunting world...that's all that matters.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:13 PM

The concern I always have with the "whatever is legal" crowd is that they fail to appreciate that we as hunters are a minority in a society that is increasingly skeptical of our favourite pastime. Spear hunting was also legal, and I think we can all agree that the recent controversy put hunting in general on trial. We are all on the same team, but to act like that means anyone's actions are beyond reproach even when those actions (regardless of legality) bring the image of hunting into disrepute is crazy and short sighted. We either create an open forum to discuss ethics that enhance the public image of hunting, or we will continue to see policy decisions shaped by a majority who's perspective is coloured by the lowest common denominator in our community.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler_nation View Post
The concern I always have with the "whatever is legal" crowd is that they fail to appreciate that we as hunters are a minority in a society that is increasingly skeptical of our favourite pastime. Spear hunting was also legal, and I think we can all agree that the recent controversy put hunting in general on trial. We are all on the same team, but to act like that means anyone's actions are beyond reproach even when those actions (regardless of legality) bring the image of hunting into disrepute is crazy and short sighted. We either create an open forum to discuss ethics that enhance the public image of hunting, or we will continue to see policy decisions shaped by a majority who's perspective is coloured by the lowest common denominator in our community.
It's certainly a different day and age that we're living in. I agree with you
Old 10-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Banned

Your absolutely right, but hey, besides the atv's ruining your hunt sometimes (which can be frustrating). I pretty much have the bush to myself where I hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Banned

I now car hut, I have no truck.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:27 PM

If it is legal do it. And leave others alone that are doing it. Not a problem.

If it is not, then report it. Don't come on a forum and be a whiney baby.

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-20-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:31 PM

"Truck hunting/scouting" has its place, anyone who antelope hunts down south...truck hunts/scouts. Truck/hunting scouting on crown land and oilfield lease roads has filled many a freezer with moose/elk/deer/and chickens.

Those who claim they have never "truck" hunted like have but don't want to admit it.

LC
Old 10-20-2016, 07:50 PM

Truck Harvesting has different avenues as well.

Pal has permission on massive amounts of private lands, he drives to scout, he harvest on foot when he spots the critter he's after.

Another pal truck harvests when scouting on Crown lands and permission lands as he "fence post harvests" at distance away from roads and the unit he drives.

I truck harvest as I drive too where I have permission not seeing what I'm after till I'm in the bush.

All 3 of us truck harvest the way we want since its legal too do so on Crown lands and permission lands.

Yes,,, I don't agree with ya-who actions, but it's not my business worrying about what others do since I'm focused on my mission.

All of us are aware of these ya-who things that occur, but I would guess that we shrugged it off and planned different for next time.

Game Harvesters that seek substance have more in common then not,,, yes there are harvest from others that we our selves disagree with, but we carry on with our plan in-place.

This is what makes us who we are. I for one when "younger" truck hunted only as it was convenient, it did not fit my ethic morales of fair-chase that I believe in today.

I don't want a 40 mph critter because I can't think fast enough to harvest it.
It has to walk to me and allow for clean taking at its will.

This is for me, others do what they want since its their call of what works for them.

Full time job doing my thing, it's the way it will be till I'm gone. If someone or something wrecks my harvest, then I carry on with next harvest.

There are tricks to successfully harvest, these I have learned and continue to learn each time out.

Best trick is to go where there are no humans, places like this is where the critters hang out, the ones I'm after.

Don
Old 10-20-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Every method has its time and place for me, and I've successfully harvested deer truck hunting, still hunting, and sitting and waiting. As long as its legal who cares.
x2 ^^ Me too.
I use blinds, tree stands, my feet and my truck. I vary it up depending upon where I'm hunting, what I'm hunting and who I'm with. I'd really like to do a horseback hunt sometime as that looks like a lot of fun, or a canoe trip. Main thing is get out and hunt, safely, ethically, and legally.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard