Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2016, 03:22 PM

Default Truck Hunters

A buddy was looking for a rifle, to buy his kid.

So I'm like, "Okay, I've got the perfect rifle for you!"

I've got a nice Winchester M70, .30-06, it's the all-weather stainless version, synthetic stock. Already mounted with a nice Leupold scope, that I would offer the rifle, with or without it.

And I was going to give him a sweet deal too.

He takes a look... "It doesn't have a magazine... we just road hunt. It needs a magazine, so we can jump out and load it quick..."

I didn't say a word, just couldn't believe what he said. But I thought, "What the hell is he teaching his kid!?"

Seems to be never ending threads by guys that want to replace the factory hinged floor plate, with some stupid mag conversion.

Which as someone that walks in the bush, and primarily stalks game, or takes stands in the bush, I think the hinged floor plate is the best bottom metal style going. But that's just me, I guess.

Heck, walking in the bush, other than deer tracks, the only other tracks I see are ATV tire tracks... and my own...

We've become a nation of fat out of shape ATV/Truck hunters, eh?

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-19-2016, 03:31 PM

I guess he could have said "perfect, it rests really nice on the side view mirror."

It kinda sucks to see, but rather than hate on the guy, at least he is getting his kid out into the woods to some extent. A day in the truck with dad is still better than a day in front of the playstation in my opinion.

If it makes you feel any better too, they probably don't have much success. Anyone who actually wants to be successful knows that they need to get out of the truck and put some miles on the ol boots.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:31 PM

Default the drone of ATV's

and a few birds - it's all I hear when I'm sitting quietly; waiting for my deer to amble along. Some of us will not get fat and lazy and are still quite willing to drag the game out of the bush. Thankfully - its still my definition of hunting; walk in, harvest an animal, drag it out. Eat well.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:34 PM

I see it a lot myself - I call it drive by shooting. But I hunt with my rifle like you - walk the bush, stalk or stand and I rarely see another hunter, which suits me fine. I've also seen trucks cruising the roads from my tree stand when I've been out with the compound.

I did see another hunters tracks in the snow yesterday and that is quite unusual for me. I was walking an area that is new to me and due to the muddy conditions I wasn't as far in to the bush as I planned.

BTW, personally I prefer removable magazines but I think that 23 years in the military did that for me.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:06 PM

Truck hunters are great if you like to hunt on foot like I do. Just imagine if there was no truck hunters......woods would get pretty crowded.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:13 PM

Default Hinged floor plate

I agree, at the end of the day it's a nice feeling to dump the shells into my hand and close the floor plate knowing that I'll never lose a magazine.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:34 PM

The only magazine I've ever owned fits my bolt action 22.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:45 PM

I am not a road hunter but like the detachable mags. At the end of the day pop it out and put it in the side pocket of the gun case. All my bolt action hunting rifles have detachable mags. Everytime i take my 45/70 out and have to cycle the rounds through the chamber to empty it i think how primitive it is.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:09 PM

First of all - let me state that I am like you and still hunt. That is the way i was taught and that is what I will do until I die.

Think of the it this way.
You think truck hunting is bad - should get out and carry your gun across the fields
John thinks hunting with a bolt action is bad - should be using a single shot
Pete thinks using a gun is bad - should be using a bow and arrow
Dave thinks using a bow and arrow is bad - should sit in a tree and when an animal walks by you jump on his back and slit his throat with your flint knife.

Who are we to judge another man's style.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 10-19-2016, 05:10 PM

For those of you that lose mags is it a faulty design or what?

I've never lost a mag and hope to keep it that way. Just don't understand why I see so many people complain about this problem. In my experience they are very convenient.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:28 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 10-19-2016, 05:30 PM

That's how some people hunt, and it's nobody's business but their own.
Lots of guys who have been hunting for many more years than me figure the more miles they can cover, the better their chances. Lots of them are too old to hike around the bush all day.
It's not the way I hunt, but it's what they like to do, so I say more power to them.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:34 PM

I tried truck Harvesting when I was young, then a long time Pal showed me the critter he got from a tree stand.

Truck harvest ended and been in the bush ever since.

Rifle stays in case till I get too my area, then the rifle and I get rigged up to go.

Each too their own as they find what works.

Don
Old 10-19-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsoncanadian View Post
Truck hunters are great if you like to hunt on foot like I do. Just imagine if there was no truck hunters......woods would get pretty crowded.

I gotta give ya that one! You are right.

And btw, I recognize there are some older fellas that maybe can't walk anymore, so I see that side of it too.

Just what made me crazy, was this guy I'm talking about, he's 15 or more years younger than me, and he can't walk!? And he's teaching his 16 year old that 'hunting' style... made me shake my head.

And it's not so much that I hate detachable mags, as the way that same guy presented the logic to me. So whenever I read that some guy is looking to modify his rifle, to put one in, I just can't help but think of that guy and his kid.

Peace.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-19-2016, 06:14 PM

As long as they are hunting legally, they should be able hunt however they like. As for kids, it's nice to be outside and spending time with your parent/parents/guardian/mentor regardless of the method. As they grow older they may find different methods suit them better.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:24 PM

How come we never hear the anti's complain to each other about the tools or methods they use to "save the whales" but we all complain and disagree on these things. Maybe we are all future anti's, we just don't know it yet. It's getting to a point I don't even want to stop and talk to guys in the bush as they may be righteous, my way is the only way, hunter.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsoncanadian View Post
Totally agree. Truck hunters are great ! ..even greater when they limit themselves to the roads only. Once they start cruising fields and other private properties where they have no permission to do so they become public enemy # 1 in my books. They can call themselves or their activity whatever they like, but I have absolutely no use for those types.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 PM

I'm a hinged floor plate kind of guy but I have to confess that I've had more than one of them on M-70's come open after accidentally compressing the latch with my hand while walking and carrying the rifle in one hand at the balance point. You move your hand and the cover opens dumping your rounds into the snow..... I wouldn't change to a blind or detachable mag though.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

We are all more than likely guilty of truck hunting...going from one location to another and catch a rutted buck dogging a doe...well he ends up in the truck box.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-19-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
We are all more than likely guilty of truck hunting...going from one location to another and catch a rutted buck dogging a doe...well he ends up in the truck box.
I certainly would not pass up a shot at an animal if I was driving from one area to another and the critter was in an area I had permission to hunt.
Cat
Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I certainly would not pass up a shot at an animal if I was driving from one area to another and the critter was in an area I had permission to hunt.
Cat

I will also admit to that.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Banned

I truck hunt that's how I found my areas I walk into I drive find a spot walk then drive more find another area. I can say I honestly have never shot from a road but have drove and seen an animal then put a stalk on
Old 10-19-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
I will also admit to that.
Exactly.

Hunting and/or scouting from the truck definitely has a time and place. Spot and stalk, sit, road hunt. It all appeals to me!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
THIS all day long
Old 10-19-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
I tried truck Harvesting when I was young, then a long time Pal showed me the critter he got from a tree stand.

Don
How on earth did it get into the tree stand, Don?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:31 PM

Sitting quietly in a pickup along a grain field bordering to a bush field can and will yield some nice bucks at times.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
First of all - let me state that I am like you and still hunt. That is the way i was taught and that is what I will do until I die.

Think of the it this way.
You think truck hunting is bad - should get out and carry your gun across the fields
John thinks hunting with a bolt action is bad - should be using a single shot
Pete thinks using a gun is bad - should be using a bow and arrow
Dave thinks using a bow and arrow is bad - should sit in a tree and when an animal walks by you jump on his back and slit his throat with your flint knife.

Who are we to judge another man's style.
Agreed. (As long as it's legal.)
Old 10-20-2016, 07:01 AM
Gone Hunting

There is 4 of us in our hunting group this year.
Two are 70 one is 63 and me at 60 for total of 263 years young.
Two of us experienced heart attacks in past.

This year we were in Elk camp that was set in the middle of bush and all week we walked around camp stalking Elk. We did see Elk but nothing legal.

Now next week we are going back and we will be TRUCK HUNTING for Moose and Grouse.

You are wrong

Don't judge another Hunter style as you know nothing about them...

We are all blessed that we still can hunt and help each other...

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 10-20-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
A buddy was looking for a rifle, to buy his kid.

So I'm like, "Okay, I've got the perfect rifle for you!"

I've got a nice Winchester M70, .30-06, it's the all-weather stainless version, synthetic stock. Already mounted with a nice Leupold scope, that I would offer the rifle, with or without it.

And I was going to give him a sweet deal too.

He takes a look... "It doesn't have a magazine... we just road hunt. It needs a magazine, so we can jump out and load it quick..."

I didn't say a word, just couldn't believe what he said. But I thought, "What the hell is he teaching his kid!?"

Seems to be never ending threads by guys that want to replace the factory hinged floor plate, with some stupid mag conversion.

Which as someone that walks in the bush, and primarily stalks game, or takes stands in the bush, I think the hinged floor plate is the best bottom metal style going. But that's just me, I guess.

Heck, walking in the bush, other than deer tracks, the only other tracks I see are ATV tire tracks... and my own...

I say so what that's his business he hunts the way he wants to

what's the big deal to each their own I'm sure he doesn't care if you were stalking animals in the bush .hunt the way you want legal
Old 10-20-2016, 07:21 AM

Every method has its time and place for me, and I've successfully harvested deer truck hunting, still hunting, and sitting and waiting. As long as its legal who cares.