Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-10-2016, 11:05 PM

Default Shot at

Curious of people's stories about being shot at by mistake or scoped by another hunter?
Old 10-10-2016, 11:18 PM

The only time i was crapping my pants was hiking out after legal light and seeing a deer between myself and the road. A truck came down the road and stopped. I saw the interior light come on as someone got out of the truck. I immediately layed down as low as i could and yelled. The truck quickly drove off. It may not sound that significant but i thought for sure they were going to take a poke at that deer.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:19 PM
Banned

Me and a buddy had a bozo fire two rounds at us at dawn a few years back. We were walking single file across a pasture and I guess from a distance we looked like one mass with 4 legs. We turned on our headlamps after the second shot and the guy got back in his truck and peeled out the road allowance. Never did figure who it was. That SNAP over your head isn't pleasant.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:27 PM

One time about 25 years ago was at a hard drinking party with some bad azs crazy boys and me and buddy were sitting on each end of the couch and nobody in the middle when another guy stepped out from the hallway with a lever 30-30 and put 2 quick hip shots between me and buddy on the couch....true story and I can't tell you any more than that. Never been scoped that I know of though.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:46 AM

Just happened on Sunday to me and the girlfriend . We were hunting the back country on horseback and when we got close to the main road we heard rapid gun fire and also bullets whizzing over our heads. I galloped my horse out to the road to find some guy teaching his young son to "hunt" grouse by shooting a semi automatic .22 from the truck and across secondary hyway 940. So I delicately explained to him that other people use the area and shooting from the truck across the road is maybe unsafe. (Sarcasm) They bailed in the truck and left the area in a big rush.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Use to sit a click off a grid road back in saskabush, leeward side of a hill, buddy says to me why are we sitting here in the scrub and buck brush when on the other side was a nice watering hole, alfalfa etc...opening season of rifle I said...sun started to rise...vehicles stop on the grid road...WWIII starts...bullets winging all over the place...deer filter by and he shot a 150 inch whitetail!

Leeward side out of a bullets path...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-11-2016, 06:48 AM

The zing of a bullet over head can be nerve wracking. We were hunting elk north of peace river, sitting in a field amongst some willow crowns, waiting for the elk to come out. Hunters to the north of us seen the elk before we did and the shooting started. Many bullets zinging right by us. Neither hunting party knew the other was there. We left in a hurry to try to get over to talk with them. They didn't have permission on the land we were on. Coulda been way worse.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:06 AM

So many idiots out there that refuse to buy binos and then use their scopes to check you out... Down right scary the people they let have fireames these days!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:10 AM

I have been scoped many times by idiots using their riflescopes in place of binoculars. These days I often avoid wearing bright colors, as I prefer people not seeing me at all, so I don't have loaded firearms being purposely pointed at me by idiots.

As for actually being shot at, I was hit by shot at a pheasant release site about two weeks ago by some genius that fired directly into a parking lot. A lady that I know was hit by shot in the same parking lot only two days ago.

The simple fact is that some people have no clue as to the safe handling of firearms, and some people simply have no regard for the safety of other hunters. How do you get through to someone that purposely and illegally points a firearm at another individual, in order to look at the individual through their rifescope? How do you get through to someone that purposely fires a shotgun into a parking lot occupied by people and vehicles? You can't fix stupid.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
One time about 25 years ago was at a hard drinking party with some bad azs crazy boys and me and buddy were sitting on each end of the couch and nobody in the middle when another guy stepped out from the hallway with a lever 30-30 and put 2 quick hip shots between me and buddy on the couch....true story and I can't tell you any more than that. Never been scoped that I know of though.
Wow !!! I wanna hear more. Lol. That's some crazy partying

I have had some 17 hmrs rip around me shooting gophers and I needed to fix scope / mount and get a quick zero on rifle once. Friend lost sight of me when I had layed down in prone. Had to tie my shirt to rifle and surrender. Prolly not super close but was a learning lesson. ( everyone stops shooting and assists with re zero )
Old 10-11-2016, 07:27 AM

Default Twice

Been shot at once and got scoped a couple years ago. Both times scared the crap out of me.

I used to hunt with a large group of hunters back on the flatlands. I had shot my deer and was dragging it out of a coulee. I happened to look across the pasture and saw one of our hunting party raise his rifle just as a deer ran out of the bush and between us. I heard the hiss of the bullet come through the grass just as dirt kicked up not three feet from me and then I heard the BOOM of the rifle. My insides froze and I panicked! I started hollering F#$% OFF! over and over again and laid down behind the deer for cover. Looking back, laying behind the deer was likely stupid as hell. LOL! That was the last day that I went hunting with a big group.

Couple years ago I was archery moose hunting over to the northwest. Rifle elk had just opened in the same area. One evening just before dark I hiked out to a crossroads on the cutlines and was calling for moose. Two quads cruising by 1/4 mile away with 2 riders on each stopped when they hit the cutline and could see me with the sun behind my back. They all bailed off the quads like Keystone cops and one guy through his rifle to his shoulder and was aiming right at me. I started furiously waving my arms and hollering. I doubt that they heard me but my flailing arms must have tipped them off because they quickly jumped on their quads and tore off. I figured my hollering had likely alerted any game to my presence so I stomped back through the bush to where my quad had been parked all day and headed back to camp.

I can honestly say that it scares me to the core when this sh!t happens, and I lose all brain function. I'm guessing I would not do well in a firefight.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:38 AM

Good Thread!
If this thread helps just one guy buy a pair of binos and a harness to hang them off, it's worth the contribution. I was in the process of having 2 rifles pointed at me last fall. I was concealed by a fence line and grabbed my orange heat-a-seat to wave at them (50 yards or less). They saw the movement and both swung their rifles in my direction. I started frantically waving that orange seat and thankfully they recognized me as a human and put their guns down. It rattles a guy pretty hard.
Please, if you are reading these posts and think binos are a nuisance item- think again. Grab a full harness where the weight of them is off your neck and USE THEM!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:40 AM

3 of us has just finished scouting a new well location and were headed back on a fairly open (few small willow clumps here n there) pipeline R/W. Was kind of a gloomy day, low clouds, may have been almost foggy. Got about 350 yards from the road when a truck pulled up and ZING.....BOOM. Hit the dirt and started screaming bloody murder. Truck burned outta like leaving a crime scene. Guess the 3 of us walking abreast must have looked dark and dirty enough to be a moose? Never did catch up with that guy but we tried.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Banned

I've been scoped wile sitting in a oat field once , road hunters let's just say people who scope out other hunters don't like being scoped back. I have never seen a deer wear orange
Old 10-11-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
I've been scoped wile sitting in a oat field once , road hunters let's just say people who scope out other hunters don't like being scoped back. I have never seen a deer wear orange
It's bad enough when an idiot using his riflescope instead of binoculars scopes an unknown object that turns out to be a human, but when they scope a person dressed in orange that couldn't possibly be a game animal, they should be charged and have their PAL revoked.

And then there are the people that find it appropriate to joke about other people being shot.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-11-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have been scoped many times by idiots using their riflescopes in place of binoculars. These days I often avoid wearing bright colors, as I prefer people not seeing me at all, so I don't have loaded firearms being purposely pointed at me by idiots.

As for actually being shot at, I was hit by shot at a pheasant release site about two weeks ago by some genius that fired directly into a parking lot. A lady that I know was hit by shot in the same parking lot only two days ago.

The simple fact is that some people have no clue as to the safe handling of firearms, and some people simply have no regard for the safety of other hunters. How do you get through to someone that purposely and illegally points a firearm at another individual, in order to look at the individual through their rifescope? How do you get through to someone that purposely fires a shotgun into a parking lot occupied by people and vehicles? You can't fix stupid.
I'll tell you how you get through to them. You report them to proper authorities.
You can't fix stupid, but you can try and get stupids firearm confiscated till he is retrained in the ways of the safe handling of firearms.
Baby steps Elk.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:40 AM

Default Yup

I was camo'd up hunting on private land. A herd of cow Elk came by at dusk and a guy on the adjacent neighbors land started flock shooting at them not knowing I was sitting on the other side of them. Needless to say I flattened out and started yelling !
I always keep a blaze orange toque in my pocket for when I see another hunter. A small clip on flashing red bicycle LED light works well for walking in/out at dark.

Scoped many times in the forestry.... buy some binos...

Puma
Old 10-11-2016, 09:58 AM

Camp Wainwright, one of the first times in, first rifle. It was at least 20 yrs ago though. The base had a lot of training still going on and the hunters were really squeezed into a few areas to the south & east. We seen a buck running hard, back then there was a lot more trees in that portion of the base. We were in a gully in my jeep. Seen the deer coming through the trees and openings, got out and ready. Up in the hills and fields above must have been some deer being pushed around by all the vehicles as the wild west started. We could hear the bullets hitting the tops of the trees above us and the ricochet. I don't think we were in any danger as we were literally in a gully but holy cow, scary. Never did get a shot at the deer. We got out of there and went to the annex and that's when we first realized how nice it was on the east side of the highway.

Scoped a couple times too, worst was at dusk/just dark, coming out of the battle river valley while hunters cruised the field edge. Always had the flashlight on after the first time it happened.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Banned

I would bet I and many others have been scoped without ever knowing it.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:33 AM

I have bullet holes in both of my Quonsets from morons. I've never had bullets whiz over my head

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-11-2016, 11:56 AM

It is eerie hearing the lead overhead before the boom.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:21 PM

I have had many road hunters stop and scope me, my brother has had road hunters fire at a doe in front of him during an antlered only season.. Oh the joys of being an ethical hunter..
Old 10-11-2016, 12:22 PM

Never been shot at as for being scope don't know don't pay attention to other hunters the season is to short for me to give a crap I also wear orange
Old 10-11-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgnpipeliner View Post
I have had many road hunters stop and scope me, my brother has had road hunters fire at a doe in front of him during an antlered only season.. Oh the joys of being an ethical hunter..
I have been scoped and shots fired in my direction over the years and none of those instances involved road hunters.
Cat
Old 10-11-2016, 02:53 PM

Been scoped more times than I can remember. Called out a nice 5 x 5 Bull Elk earlier this fall, was lining Him up @ 200-250 yards when someone else shot him directly in front of me. That American and guide lost a lot of $ that morning (Trespassing). Worst though was hunting in the Simonette when I was younger. I was spotlighted by a truck box full of fully armed "Subsistence Hunters" while walking out of a hunting area in the dark. I thought for sure I was a dead man. Lights went off, truck drove by me cursing at me and flicking cigarette butts my way (Guess I was in the wrong).

Spruce
Old 10-11-2016, 03:16 PM

Tell me what you think of this situation.

Hunter sitting with his back up against a tree, with tall bipod deployed. The rifle is shouldered, but pointed about 50 feet above the horizon, and waiting for game to appear.

If you passed at a distance of 200-400 yards down range of this hunter, the rifle might appear to be pointed at you. The hunter does not make a move to view you through his scope but you may not know that from a distance.

Is this a dangerous way to hunt, or disrespectful of passing hunters?
Old 10-11-2016, 06:53 PM

Wow, sure hope you are the few and far between, what a disgust to call yourself a hunter, I can see issues of bullets whizing by people when you have two hunters in the bush that dont know each other and there is game inbetween, but coming out of the bush to a road way wearing orange or not and being scoped or shot at is a different story, better hope you get me because the consequence will be relentless
Old 10-11-2016, 07:05 PM

Pony are you responding to my question?

I didn't mention scoping or shooting towards another Hunter in the scenario I described, so I suspect you're refering to something else?

My question is about a hunter having his rifle ready and pointed in the general direction where he expects game to present itself, and then another hunter walks out unexpectedly down range.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Tell me what you think of this situation.

Hunter sitting with his back up against a tree, with tall bipod deployed. The rifle is shouldered, but pointed about 50 feet above the horizon, and waiting for game to appear.

If you passed at a distance of 200-400 yards down range of this hunter, the rifle might appear to be pointed at you. The hunter does not make a move to view you through his scope but you may not know that from a distance.

Is this a dangerous way to hunt, or disrespectful of passing hunters?
The hunter with the bipod sees another hunter in the distance, he moves his rifle so that the distanced hunter is safe regardless

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 07:16 PM

I been shot at, quite a few times actually...not sure why they were hunting me, I ain't THAT fat....lol