Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-11-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
sand or gravel trails are best, mud not so much because they are looking to fill their gizzards
Cat
Thanks cat will give it a try next week
Old 10-11-2016, 10:17 AM

We had olans to go out on Saturday but the weather changed that. We went out on Monday instead, my father, brother in law and I. We saw over 20 birds during the course of the day. Came home with 8 between us. A great day!
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57fd1087...10_123739.jpg?
Old 10-11-2016, 11:29 AM

My boy really wanted to try grouse (I usually dont hunt them) and we have been out several times in 506.....seems like they were everywhere the last few years, but in 5 outings of several hours each we have seen and shot exactly 1 grouse. Good part is the kid got to try one and enjoyed it, bad part is one grouse breast probably cost me $200, lol! Who am I kidding, it was good scouting time and I woulda been out there anyway, just maybe sitting in a treestand with the bow instead of cruising around and walking trails, haha!

Anyway, apparently they arent doing so well in my area or else i dont know wtf (w being where) to look.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:16 PM

I've been out looking for grouse southwest of calgary and havent been having much luck.

I've been covering lots of bush but not coming up with results? What should I be looking for after a big snow? Are they on the ground or in the trees?

Thick cover or understory?

I've hunted roads for them when its dry, will they dig for gravel?

Cheers
Old 10-11-2016, 03:30 PM

Its funny how they can have different density points close together. We hunted 3 quarters and didn't flush a single bird, then went to another area maybe 7km crow flies and we flushed 6 birds in a 20 yard stretch. Never seen such a dense clump of ruffies like that.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Its funny how they can have different density points close together. We hunted 3 quarters and didn't flush a single bird, then went to another area maybe 7km crow flies and we flushed 6 birds in a 20 yard stretch. Never seen such a dense clump of ruffies like that.
Very true, most I have seen that close together is 5 tho...Last wkd I covered a large area, only saw 3 spruce in total. Tried another trail maybe a couple ks away, flushed 2 ruffs on the way in and another on the way out. Left it alone for a while then came back and saw one more.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:50 PM

A dry spring makes a huge difference. I hope we get a few more.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
Until they are all gone people won't rest. Maybe they think it makes them better hunters. Management would be great so you can shoot some next year.
A hard winter will kill about a million more than a few hard core grouse hunters will manage to. Not to mention predation by coyotes, lynx, fox and house cats. I would guess that a couple busy canines eat a lot more grouse than I kill. And all year long, too. Studies show that a hunting season has minimal effect on their numbers. Probably part of the reason we have a nice winter season now.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 10-14-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyon View Post
I've been out looking for grouse southwest of calgary and havent been having much luck.

I've been covering lots of bush but not coming up with results? What should I be looking for after a big snow? Are they on the ground or in the trees?

Thick cover or understory?

I've hunted roads for them when its dry, will they dig for gravel?

Cheers
I don't know if they "dig" for it, but they still seem to like roads, and they swallow small pebbles. Even after a snow they seem to like being on the ground, or at least close to it. And early in the morning and dusk there will be more in the trees. They seem to like the really thick small trees, but have had success in slightly more open bush where the orange berries (forget what they are called) grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I have seen a few bunches of 6 or so all together. I usually look a little closer now before rushing in to retrieve one, as pretty often there is another one or two not that far away.

Went to a new spot yesterday. It was pretty chilly, and the grouse seemed content to stay still in the bush, or cluck/chirp and run along the ground a short way through the thick stuff. A number stood still and didn't move tucked in the thick bush even when I rolled up fairly close with the truck. It was a welcome change from last year when they flushed 70 yards away as I walked up..

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith78 View Post
Isn't the max 15 per species?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Are you suggesting that there is an annual limit on grouse? If so, read the regulations, there is a daily limit, and a possession limit. As far as what people do with their grouse, as long as they don't waste them. I could care less how often they eat grouse or if they share with friends and family, as long as someone is eating them.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:03 AM

The way I read it your not allowed to have more than 15 grouse in your freezer, if you have 15 grouse in your freezer/fridge/ posession you have all your legally allowed to have, you must eat some of them to continue hunting. People who have 20, 50 or 100 grouse in the freezer are breaking the law.
Regulations state It is Unlawful to: #8 on page 31 of the regulation synopsis "exceed the daily limit 'or' possession limit for any game bird. My interpretation means once you have reached the possession limit you must not hunt that species until such a time as you have reduced the amount of birds of that particular species in your possession to a number less than the possession limit. I.e if you have 15 ruffed grouse in your freezer and you eat 2 then you can only shoot 2 more until the possession limit of 15 is reached again.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
The way I read it your not allowed to have more than 15 grouse in your freezer, if you have 15 grouse in your freezer/fridge/ posession you have all your legally allowed to have, you must eat some of them to continue hunting. People who have 20, 50 or 100 grouse in the freezer are breaking the law.
Regulations state It is Unlawful to: #8 on page 31 of the regulation synopsis "exceed the daily limit 'or' possession limit for any game bird. My interpretation means once you have reached the possession limit you must not hunt that species until such a time as you have reduced the amount of birds of that particular species in your possession to a number less than the possession limit. I.e if you have 15 ruffed grouse in your freezer and you eat 2 then you can only shoot 2 more until the possession limit of 15 is reached again.
My interpretation as well.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Well this is a question that sometimes crop up. Unfortunately, the wording is quite vague in the hunting regs. My interpretation is that possession limit does NOT include place of residence... it is meant to reflect the amount you can have in your possession when going on multi-day hunting trips. Checkstops happen on roads, campsites, etc.. not in the fridge & freezer of your house/place of residence, so the rule is meant to reflect how much you may have in your possession when stopped while going home after a multi-day trip (usually waterfowl).

The only place where I have seen explicit description of possession limit is the analogous situation of fishing. In fishing, like waterfowl hunting, it is quite probable that a person will go on a multi-day trip and therefore transporting a catch from more than one day. On page 9 of the federal fishing regulations it states,

"This is the maximum number of fish you can have in your possession at any given time (i.e.: twice your daily limit, other than halibut), EXCEPT for what is at your “ordinary residence” (see glossary). (emphasis mine)

Regs available here:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.htm

Further, I have been stopped a few times by CO and RCMP while out hunting, including bird hunting. They have always checked the birds and that I was at or under limit... they have never asked me how many birds I have in the freezer at home (and include it as my "possession limit").

But I think better, explicit description in the provincial hunting regulations should be requested.

Last edited by Jadham; 10-14-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:21 AM

It is not rocket science and people are complicating it for no reason.
If you have three birds and get stopped by F&W all they are looking at is your daily limit on your possesion which is three .
They have no reason to think you have more than your possession combined
However if someone complains and they search your freezer at home and you are sitting on 30 you are over your possession .

If you are out hunting and you know if you kill a single grouse when you are at your possession of 15 in your freezer then YOU know yourself you are over your limit and what are you doing hunting anyway if you have a full possesion limit in your freezer already ?

Like I say, it's not rocket science but people have to think clearly for themselves
Cat
Old 10-15-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
Well this is a question that sometimes crop up. Unfortunately, the wording is quite vague in the hunting regs. My interpretation is that possession limit does NOT include place of residence... it is meant to reflect the amount you can have in your possession when going on multi-day hunting trips. Checkstops happen on roads, campsites, etc.. not in the fridge & freezer of your house/place of residence, so the rule is meant to reflect how much you may have in your possession when stopped while going home after a multi-day trip (usually waterfowl).

The only place where I have seen explicit description of possession limit is the analogous situation of fishing. In fishing, like waterfowl hunting, it is quite probable that a person will go on a multi-day trip and therefore transporting a catch from more than one day. On page 9 of the federal fishing regulations it states,

"This is the maximum number of fish you can have in your possession at any given time (i.e.: twice your daily limit, other than halibut), EXCEPT for what is at your “ordinary residence” (see glossary). (emphasis mine)

Regs available here:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.htm

Further, I have been stopped a few times by CO and RCMP while out hunting, including bird hunting. They have always checked the birds and that I was at or under limit... they have never asked me how many birds I have in the freezer at home (and include it as my "possession limit").

But I think better, explicit description in the provincial hunting regulations should be requested.
The possession limit most certainly does include your residence.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The possession limit most certainly does include your residence.
My above post was fairly clear on my rationale.

Nowhere does it state in the hunting regs whether this includes primary residence. Until it states it explicitly whether it is or not , like it does in the federal fishing regulations, there will not be a "right" answer. As mentioned by the moderator, it is unenforcable if people interpret as it including your primary residence (because they don't search your home, or in my experience even ask) so people are left to their conscience - until it is made more explicit.

Last edited by Jadham; 10-15-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
My above post was fairly clear on my rationale.

Nowhere does it state in the hunting regs whether this includes primary residence. Until it states it explicitly whether it is or not , like it does in the federal fishing regulations, there will not be a "right" answer.
Really?? So whose grouse are in your freezer then ?
Cat
Old 10-15-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Really?? So whose grouse are in your freezer then ?
Cat
Sorry I don't understand your post.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:59 AM

It's simple let's say you have x number of birds for your daily limit
On your person . However in your freezer you have a full possession limit.
That in fact puts you over your limit
Cat
Old 10-15-2016, 12:06 PM

Now I see how this gets complicated. We only have 10 fingers to count on .
Old 10-15-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
It's simple let's say you have x number of birds for your daily limit
On your person . However in your freezer you have a full possession limit.
That in fact puts you over your limit
Cat
If you look at my first post, I go over why I think the old birds at your primary residence do not count towards your possession limit.

You obviously believe that they do.

It is NOT stated in the hunting regs whether or not the possession limit includes them. I think it should stated explicitly, like the federal fishing regs, until it is there is no correct answer (if there is no statute then one has to look at case law and analogous situations... in which case I would follow the fishing regs as analogous).
Old 10-15-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
But my friend if one is a true intelligent person they will use toes too
Old 10-15-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
If you look at my first post, I go over why I think the old birds at your primary residence do not count towards your possession limit.

It is NOT stated in the hunting regs whether or not the possession limit includes them. I think it should stated explicitly, like the federal fishing regs.
Of course it includes them, how is it that the birds or fish in your freezer in your possession at your home are somehow not possessed by you. If someone broke into your home and stole your possessions, according to you they would have stolen nothing. Apparently they way you see it you don't posess your posessions.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
No kidding! If you are storing your property in your private residence, then obviously it is in your possession.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:

It is NOT stated in the hunting regs whether or not the possession limit includes them. I think it should stated explicitly, like the federal fishing regs, until it is there is no correct answer (if there is no statute then one has to look at case law and analogous situations... in which case I would follow the fishing regs as analogous).
It certainly does . It gives Daily limits and Possession limits . seems pretty clear to me . But try that argument out in court and let us know how it works for you .
Old 10-15-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Of course it includes them, how is it that the birds or fish in your freezer in your possession at your home are somehow not possessed by you. If someone broke into your home and stole your possessions, according to you they would have stolen nothing. Apparently they way you see it you don't posess your posessions.
See the federal fishing regulation I posted earlier. It explicitly states that the possession limit DO NOT INCLUDE the fish at your primary residence.

That is why we are having the debate....
Old 10-15-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
It certainly does . It gives Daily limits and Possession limits . seems pretty clear to me . But try that argument out in court and let us know how it works for you .
See answer to bushrat.

It is helpful reading the whole string....
Old 10-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
No kidding! If you are storing your property in your private residence, then obviously it is in your possession.
I know you have read the whole string so you know why I am debating the point because of the fishing reg. If you disagree with me that is fine.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I know you have read the whole string so you know why I am debating the point because of the fishing reg. If you disagree with me that is fine.
However the Alberta game bird regs are one thing and the federal gushing refs are another
One dies not gave yo mirror the other fir either to be understood unless you just want to argue about something .
So what happens when you take those 5 grouse home with a full possession limit already in your fridge ?
Cat
Old 10-15-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
However the Alberta game bird regs are one thing and the federal gushing refs are another
One dies not gave yo mirror the other fir either to be understood unless you just want to argue about something .
So what happens when you take those 5 grouse home with a full possession limit already in your fridge ?
Cat
He keeps them in labeled boxes ...Tuesday's limit ,Wednesday's limit Thurday's limit .... etc