Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Lefty, if you walked back into one of your spots that you hunted regularly and noticed a trail cam and stand but no one there. Would you still hunt that spot or move on? If you chose to stay and hunt would you move on if they later showed up during your hunt?

Scenario crown land.

Question open to all
If I went back and saw a stand and camera and no sign of anyone hunting that day and I planned on hunting there that day I would hunt there that day from my stand, I would not use their stand or anyone else's stand.

If they showed up later I would wave at them from my stand to let them know I was there and I would hope they would extend the courtesy by moving along quietly.

If I went there and they were there earlier than I was I would wave and quietly back out of the area and hunt elsewhere.

LC
Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If I went back and saw a stand and camera and no sign of anyone hunting that day and I planned on hunting there that day I would hunt there that day from my stand, and I would shout "WOW! I found a trail cam! Wonder who lost it? Oh well..." and toss it into my backpack.

LC
There, fixed it for you Lefty
Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
If I went back and saw a stand and camera and no sign of anyone hunting that day and I planned on hunting there that day I would hunt there that day from my stand, I would not use their stand or anyone else's stand.

If they showed up later I would wave at them from my stand to let them know I was there and I would hope they would extend the courtesy by moving along quietly.

If I went there and they were there earlier than I was I would wave and quietly back out of the area and hunt elsewhere.

LC
My thoughts exactly

All though your edited post is more interesting thanks to oko
Old 08-26-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:

LC
^^ Exactly! That's how it should be. Plenty of woods for everyone and no one needs to mess with other guys stands, blinds etc.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I agree with not building another blind there. Heck, just use the one already there... it's on public land and is a years-old permanent structure that shouldn't be there. Now if someone shows up there while I'm in it and says it's theirs I'd move off without argument (no point in getting into arguments, especially when you're both armed), but you can't reserve hunting land by putting up a structure illegally on pubic land.
You can always build a small enclosed stand with a door, put a pad lock on it and there you go.
(Bring some oil for the hinges, lol)
Old 08-26-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog View Post
You can always build a small enclosed stand with a door, put a pad lock on it and there you go.

On public land, the forest service will remove these types of structures....
Old 08-26-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog View Post
I'm pretty sure he's joking.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

Lol, I wasn't kidding. I don't hunt much out of stands, just talking out of the arse.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Gone Hunting

I would move, a long ways away. I hate crowds when hunting.

But I do realize that for many that is not an option. In that case I'm not sure what I'd do. Give up hunting Deer maybe. Leave a note and set up far enough away so as to not be seen by whoever built the stand.

I really don't know. So much depends on whether or not I could move far enough away to avoid any contact with the builder, whether or not I suspected who the builder was, and whether or not I though he was a reasonable person.

I might even call F&W, if I were fairly sure the builder had deliberately left the stand to discourage other hunters.

There are just too many possibilities for me to know what I would do, if I could move to a totally new area.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Nope, personal property even if on public land my friend.. You use peoples ice shacks too ?

What about a trail cam on public land ? Guess others left it there for someone to remove and help ourselves too ?

Really people, if it isn't yours, leave it alone !
X2 just cuz it is left out dose not give you the right to use it or cut down the tree! Oh I found a truck on the side of the road lets go for a drive! If it looks like it has been their for a long time set up your own stand near by!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
X2 just cuz it is left out dose not give you the right to use it or cut down the tree! Oh I found a truck on the side of the road lets go for a drive! If it looks like it has been their for a long time set up your own stand near by!
Portable tree stand left is different than one built and left for years. I would use a portable treestand. But you cannot build an leave permanent structures on public land. It negates your claim to "ownership". If you thionk you own it then put your name and number on it so you can be charged and ordered to remove it.

And yeah, if a truck had been left on public land for years I would have no qualms about sitting on it.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
Sorry if I am de-railing, but I think this is relevant.

So tell me who is in the right in the following:

True story. My buddy built a large stand on public land two years ago so he and his sons could bait bear. The stand holds 3 or 4 guys. They hunted it hard that year, might have used it for moose season a few times too.

Last year, he didn't use it at all, and a group of younger hunters started using it to bait bear. No, they didn't ask either. They hunted it all last year, spring and fall.

My friend said to me a couple of weeks ago, he was looking for a number so he could call those guys that hunted his stand last year, so he could tell them to stay away as he planned to hunt it this year.

So, who is in the right here? Permanent stand illegally set up on public land. Who gets to claim it?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

True story. My buddy built a large stand on public land two years ago so he and his sons could bait bear. The stand holds 3 or 4 guys. They hunted it hard that year, might have used it for moose season a few times too.

Last year, he didn't use it at all, and a group of younger hunters started using it to bait bear. No, they didn't ask either. They hunted it all last year, spring and fall.

My friend said to me a couple of weeks ago, he was looking for a number so he could call those guys that hunted his stand last year, so he could tell them to stay away as he planned to hunt it this year.

So, who is in the right here? Permanent stand illegally set up on public land. Who gets to claim it?
He has no right to leave a permenent stand on public property,so he has no right to tell them to stay away. He doesnt own the land the stand is on.
The other party might work with him on who and when the stand is going to be hunted,but on crown land its first come first serve legally.

Myself I wouldnt hunt some one elses stand,as well I would never put up a permenent stand on crown land ,but guys got to realise that crown land is for all of us to use,none of us have the right to claim any of it for our own personel use,share and share a like
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

I agree with rottie 100%.

All I would add is that I believe anyone who wants to, has the right to take that stand and claim it as their own.

I wouldn't.
I would try to contact the original owner to find out if perhaps he was unable to retrieve it. If that turned out to be the case I would ask if he intended to retrieve it and if not would he like me to retrieve it for him, and return it to him.

If at any point I suspected that he was not being truthful or had left it on purpose, I would end all communication and find a different area to hunt.

Not to let him get away with anything. My reasoning is, if he found the place and thought it worth his while to try to claim as his own, it would be only a matter of time before another like minded individual found it too and tried the same thing. And others would in time follow the same route.
First, that makes the place to congested for my liking and it makes the hassle not worth the possible gain. I'd move.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Ice View Post
A friend and I were out looking for places to set up blinds in an area we have been scouting. As we were about to set up a ground blind, we noticed a wooden tree stand. Dammit! We go over and take a look at it, its obviously been there a couple of years and I don’t know if the person hunted in it last year or plans on hunting in it this year. After debating over lunch we chose not to build a ground blind there but we haven’t stopped debating the scenarios since. We are very respectful hunters and when I come across a guy hunting an area I acknowledge him/her with a wave and quietly exit the way I came in.

What’s proper etiquette here?

It is public land but full props to the guy who hauled in a bunch of wood (walk in access only) about 45 minutes with moderate elevation gain. I have a lot of respect for that. Do you build your own ground blind or tree stand nearby and if so would that upset the person more? Would you use this tree stand not knowing if the person was going to be hunting in it? Would you leave your name and number and ask the person to call you (since I would never approach them during hunting time to chat)? If you did use the stand would you leave a thank you (shot of whiskey, etc). Do you go in a few times and if after 3 or 4 visits and no one is in it does that make it ok to use?

It made for an interesting walk out and I would appreciate constructive opinions. Thanks.
No etiquette issues there, as there was no other hunters in that immediate area. What was the attraction to that particular area?