Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Etiquette Question

A friend and I were out looking for places to set up blinds in an area we have been scouting. As we were about to set up a ground blind, we noticed a wooden tree stand. Dammit! We go over and take a look at it, its obviously been there a couple of years and I don’t know if the person hunted in it last year or plans on hunting in it this year. After debating over lunch we chose not to build a ground blind there but we haven’t stopped debating the scenarios since. We are very respectful hunters and when I come across a guy hunting an area I acknowledge him/her with a wave and quietly exit the way I came in.

What’s proper etiquette here?

It is public land but full props to the guy who hauled in a bunch of wood (walk in access only) about 45 minutes with moderate elevation gain. I have a lot of respect for that. Do you build your own ground blind or tree stand nearby and if so would that upset the person more? Would you use this tree stand not knowing if the person was going to be hunting in it? Would you leave your name and number and ask the person to call you (since I would never approach them during hunting time to chat)? If you did use the stand would you leave a thank you (shot of whiskey, etc). Do you go in a few times and if after 3 or 4 visits and no one is in it does that make it ok to use?

It made for an interesting walk out and I would appreciate constructive opinions. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 AM

Stands are supposed to be taken down at the end of every season.

If nobody has been to the stand yet this year, how're you supposed to know that he is actively using it. He could be dead, or moved away. It would be a shame to miss out on a prime spot because someone left a stand up three years ago.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:21 AM

I've left notes with contact info on stands and stuff like that. I like to know who's in the area, when they are hunting etc so we're not hunting over each other. Mind you I've only received one call back before and it was after the season and I chose a different spot lol!

Last edited by Lady Bowhunter; 08-26-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:25 AM

I would check on it a couple of times and perhaps leave your name and number. If nobody calls and nobody shows up. Use it, but understand that if he does show up, there could be potential there for conflict.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM

if it is on public land, and there is nobody in it when you get there, enjoy because the stand is public property. If you get there first, then you have every right to hunt there. Just because someone built a stand does not give them ownership of the area. You are not obligated to share any personal information with them either.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 AM

Legally... it is on public land. But the question was regarding etiquette, not legality.

If it was me, and I was using the stand and someone walked in. As long as they weren't being a d**k about it, I would move.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta-pg View Post
Legally... it is on public land. But the question was regarding etiquette, not legality.

If it was me, and I was using the stand and someone walked in. As long as they weren't being a d**k about it, I would move.
I wouldn't ....most people are d**ks when it comes to public land access....if someone built a stand on public land, they need to understand that they have no more right to it than anybody else. Ethically, if somebody beat them to the stand, then they should find another spot to hunt that day, and get there earlier next time. A person cannot lay claim simply by erecting a structure. That way of thinking is not ethical...
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Gone Hunting

chainsaw. OOps etiquette!!! Hmmm chainsaw with a good muffler.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-26-2013, 12:10 PM

a whole lot can be accomplished by talking with the other party... and if that doesn't work, chainsaw! hahaha...
Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
I wouldn't ....most people are d**ks when it comes to public land access....if someone built a stand on public land, they need to understand that they have no more right to it than anybody else. Ethically, if somebody beat them to the stand, then they should find another spot to hunt that day, and get there earlier next time. A person cannot lay claim simply by erecting a structure. That way of thinking is not ethical...
You are 100% right.

But unless you are prepared to get into it with the guy who built it, leaving a note would be a good start. The last thing you want is to start a war and have a couple of good morning ruined.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
You are 100% right.

But unless you are prepared to get into it with the guy who built it, leaving a note would be a good start. The last thing you want is to start a war and have a couple of good morning ruined.
Too bad so sad...if they want to have a fight, then so be it, we will be two beat up mother effers....and will likely have no deer. Then, chainsaw with a muffler...or no muffler, will fix the stand. They don't own the land, and have no right to ask for anything. They must move along, and get up earlier next time. Etiquette says that you have every right to hunt there as anybody else, and etiquette also says that if you were beaten to your spot, you must move along, and get up earlier next time.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 PM

Some pretty brave folks on AO lately.

TBark
Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Too bad so sad...if they want to have a fight, then so be it, we will be two beat up mother effers....and will likely have no deer. Then, chainsaw with a muffler...or no muffler, will fix the stand. They don't own the land, and have no right to ask for anything. They must move along, and get up earlier next time. Etiquette says that you have every right to hunt there as anybody else, and etiquette also says that if you were beaten to your spot, you must move along, and get up earlier next time.
What if it isn't a wood stand but a store bought one? Would you still use it if you saw it? Would you move if the owner showed up?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick View Post
What if it isn't a wood stand but a store bought one? Would you still use it if you saw it? Would you move if the owner showed up?
If it was my stand and I saw someones truck at the trail head, I would find somewhere else to go for the day, and get up earlier the next day..., and remove my stand. I have been here before, and conceded many of my favorite spots to earlier risers. I have other spots to try! I have also been in a stand, and had someone else come along and claim the field from a different stand despite the fact that my partner and I were there first...extremely frustrating!! I am fed up with this sort of disrespect between hunters, and feel that it needs to stop. If somebody beats you there, you meed to hunt somewhere else and get up earlier next time...If I walked up and my metal, purchased stand was occupied, I would be frustrated, bit what can you do? Get up earlier the next time, and take my stand with me when I am done.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:22 PM

Ugh...sorry for the spelling errors, my phone sucks for typing...
Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
If it was my stand and I saw someones truck at the trail head, I would find somewhere else to go for the day, and get up earlier the next day..., and remove my stand. I have been here before, and conceded many of my favorite spots to earlier risers. I have other spots to try! I have also been in a stand, and had someone else come along and claim the field from a different stand despite the fact that my partner and I were there first...extremely frustrating!! I am fed up with this sort of disrespect between hunters, and feel that it needs to stop. If somebody beats you there, you meed to hunt somewhere else and get up earlier next time...If I walked up and my metal, purchased stand was occupied, I would be frustrated, bit what can you do? Get up earlier the next time, and take my stand with me when I am done.
Nope, personal property even if on public land my friend.. You use peoples ice shacks too ?

What about a trail cam on public land ? Guess others left it there for someone to remove and help ourselves too ?

Really people, if it isn't yours, leave it alone !
Old 08-26-2013, 01:40 PM

I would not hunt out of the stand but would still hunt the area

Too many people think that a stand or tree camera reserves the area for them

I don't get it. It is public land
Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM

me and my brother have built a few tree stands in the 500's. we tell guys where they are if they want to use them some guys do some dont . dont care. its public land and as soon as the leaves are down a built stand sticks out pretty hard, theyre going to be seen and used by others anyways. if i caught someone in one of our stands on private land we hunt it might be another story.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:45 PM

I don't think you should use some one else stand or blind just because it's on public land. Etiquette to me means don't touch chit if it isn't yours. That goes for buddies stand, the unlocked bike in front of a store or the street hockey net in the driveway next door. Pretty simple if its not yours don't touch it.

With that being said, a wooden PERMANENT stand on public land could be an exception. Like others have stated you have no way to know if its abandoned or not so I would probably try leaving a note. I would also go by the first come first serve rule, I do that everywhere I hunt. So if there is evidence of other hunters in there I would quietly turn around as to not disturb their hunt.

DCse7en - If you or anyone made it to where my stand is and I wasn't there yet I would definitely respect the fact that they got there first and hunt else where. I think you're totally right in that regard but I would hope that you are not using MY property (commercial stand) just because its on public land. Just as I wouldn't use yours. The same goes for trail cams people need to respect other people stuff and just leave it be, not stealing it goes without saying. You're right though if someone puts up a blind or stand that doesn't let them lay claim to a spot but please leave it alone as it is still their property. Wooden stands, permanently built are pretty much fair game but I'd still try a note too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Nope, personal property even if on public land my friend.. You use peoples ice shacks too ?

What about a trail cam on public land ? Guess others left it there for someone to remove and help ourselves too ?

Say what??. Please read my post, and pretend that there are no spelling errors. To reiterate I wouldn't sit in someone elses metal removable treestand. Wooden permanent structures are not the same though. Like I said, I wouldn't spoil somebody elses hunt if they beat me to public land. I would leave, and would expect the same from other hunters. You don't get to claim an area just because you watched it all summer on a trail cam, or built a tree stand there. If you get beat to the spot, get up earlier.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:02 PM

Oh, and I would never take someone elses personal property. And lets keep in mind too, that the OP asked about wooden permanent stands, on public land.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post

hey, you know you can use my stands this fall if you like right? I know you have your own out, but if im not around and the location seems to be where the action is, be my guest.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, and I would never take someone elses personal property. And lets keep in mind too, that the OP asked about wooden permanent stands, on public land.
If this is directed at me, I didn't mean to imply that you would steal something. It was just a general statement regarding other peoples property in the woods and how it should be treated.

Yes the thread meandered off course a bit when someone mentioned store bought stands and people (myself too) were commenting on that. You're right first guy at a spot should get it, although if I saw a pop blind in a spot I wouldn't even bother going in to check if it was occupied. I'd hate to mess up someones hunt.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-26-2013, 03:02 PM

I had a guy delete all the pics off one of my camera's this past weekend. I checked them on Friday evening and the misses wanted to go check them on Sunday before we drove home... ALL GONE!

I don't even care about him having a look to see whats on there... but have respect enough to not delete them!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
I don't think you should use some one else stand or blind just because it's on public land. Etiquette to me means don't touch chit if it isn't yours. That goes for buddies stand, the unlocked bike in front of a store or the street hockey net in the driveway next door. Pretty simple if its not yours don't touch it.

With that being said, a wooden PERMANENT stand on public land could be an exception. Like others have stated you have no way to know if its abandoned or not so I would probably try leaving a note. I would also go by the first come first serve rule, I do that everywhere I hunt. So if there is evidence of other hunters in there I would quietly turn around as to not disturb their hunt.
I really think it becomes a "public" stand. Everyone knows it is illegal, and most people are claiming that spot when they do build it.

Last edited by riden; 08-26-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta-pg View Post
I had a guy delete all the pics off one of my camera's this past weekend. I checked them on Friday evening and the misses wanted to go check them on Sunday before we drove home... ALL GONE!

I don't even care about him having a look to see whats on there... but have respect enough to not delete them!
I would say you are just lucky you still had the camera hanging there when you came back....

LC
Old 08-26-2013, 03:51 PM

Interesting take on things here, I guess where i come from there are way fewer people and its a common "unwritten rule" you just don't hunt where you know someone else hunts, regardless if they are there or not. And sitting in someone else's tree stand is completely out of the question.

But as i'm seeing here in Alberta things are a little different, given the amount of traffic there is........I'd get there first, if buddy is there, wave, nod and go some place else. My two cents.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazy.338 View Post
Interesting take on things here, I guess where i come from there are way fewer people and its a common "unwritten rule" you just don't hunt where you know someone else hunts, regardless if they are there or not. And sitting in someone else's tree stand is completely out of the question.

But as i'm seeing here in Alberta things are a little different, given the amount of traffic there is........I'd get there first, if buddy is there, wave, nod and go some place else. My two cents.
I have your line of thinking....if I got to a spot and someone beat me to it then I go elsewhere......I expect the same courtesy but sadly some guys will follow your footsteps in fresh snow all the way to your stand and then wonder why you are so bent out of shape with them....

LC
Old 08-26-2013, 04:42 PM

I agree with not building another blind there. Heck, just use the one already there... it's on public land and is a years-old permanent structure that shouldn't be there. Now if someone shows up there while I'm in it and says it's theirs I'd move off without argument (no point in getting into arguments, especially when you're both armed), but you can't reserve hunting land by putting up a structure illegally on pubic land.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have your line of thinking....if I got to a spot and someone beat me to it then I go elsewhere......I expect the same courtesy but sadly some guys will follow your footsteps in fresh snow all the way to your stand and then wonder why you are so bent out of shape with them....

LC
Lefty, if you walked back into one of your spots that you hunted regularly and noticed a trail cam and stand but no one there. Would you still hunt that spot or move on? If you chose to stay and hunt would you move on if they later showed up during your hunt?

Scenario crown land.

Question open to all