Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Default How do you hang your game?

Ok i need some ideas.
I'm in the building process and the garage has bedrooms above it. The garage will also be drywalled. If i use the joists will this cause fumes or cold air into the bedrooms above?
What are you guys using to hang your game in your garage?
I'm thinking maybe modify an engine hoist from princess auto.
All ideas and pics will be considered.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:07 PM

You should not get fumes are cold air transfer if it's insulated and vapour barrier, the other option is fasten a board after the drywall that you can put some eye hooks in.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:38 PM

I'm building a hanger for my garage this season - right now I'm torn between the standard "4x4's connected by hinges" design vs. a rig made up of Kee Klamps and galvanized 1.5" pipe.

The advantage of the pipe one is that it is more portable... So theoretically I could take it out to a camp if need be.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:39 PM

I am in the same boat. I have a section that is 13 ft and the other half 9 ft. I want to be able to hang a full moose so it hAs to be high and strong. I use a chain block and tackle.
Pics would be good. How many joist do you cross? At the high point in my garage it is the "I" bean style. At the 9 ft it is regular roof style framing

Last edited by Warrior; 08-16-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:41 PM

4x4 connected to hinges???? Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I'm building a hanger for my garage this season - right now I'm torn between the standard "4x4's connected by hinges" design vs. a rig made up of Kee Klamps and galvanized 1.5" pipe.

The advantage of the pipe one is that it is more portable... So theoretically I could take it out to a camp if need be.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
4x4 connected to hinges???? Pics
Heh! Haven't built it yet... LOL

It's basically something like this:

The technique is like the one shown here.

...but I was going to connect the A-frame tops (the butts of the 4x4s) with heavy-duty hinges and rest a 4x4 or a pipe across the top.

The trick then is to stabilize it laterally... Playground frame brackets might work:

Mind you, this kind of bracket would probably work out really well for this application... Shipped from the US they would be roughly $170 for a set of 2.

About the pipe idea, there's always these kinds of things too, but they are kind of pricey (~$100 each):

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 08-16-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:33 PM

I have a couple 4x4 post in my garage ceiling laying across a couple trusses ......then I have a chain draped over the middle of that 4x4 that hangs down to a 1 ton chain hoist....I actually have 3 of these hanging down from the roof.

Had elk, moose and beef hanging from there with no issues and then they go into the cooler.

LC
Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 PM

Ideally I would like something that is portable. Easy take apart and take with you. I.e Suff elk this fall.... Not a lot of trees and I like to get the hide off ASAP and the cheese cloth on ASAP. Then on e home set up in garage again to hang once home.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have a couple 4x4 post in my garage ceiling laying across a couple trusses ......then I have a chain draped over the middle of that 4x4 that hangs down to a 1 ton chain hoist...
Was looking at doing that - the only worry I have is with the more modern houses, would the trusses handle a load like a moose and a deer or two?

Quote:
Ideally I would like something that is portable. Easy take apart and take with you. I.e Suff elk this fall....
The pipe/Kee Klamp setup might work for that - as long as you can fit it in your truck/trailer (pipes would be eight or ten feet long, depends on how wide/high you want it). It would assemble/disassemble with an allen wrench.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Was looking at doing that - the only worry I have is with the more modern houses, would the trusses handle a load like a moose and a few deer?
Not sure when my detached garage was built....the house was built in 1983 and the garage was done after then.....my ceiling is 10ft though so it offers the height needed to hang a whole moose.

LC
Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Not sure when my detached garage was built....the house was built in 1983 and the garage was done after then.....my ceiling is 10ft though so it offers the height needed to hang a whole moose.

LC
Ah, thanks.

Yeah, I just know that IncrediGirl will ensure that my hunting career will come to an abrupt end should I cause structural damage to our home...

Ooooooo! The 2-ton chain hoists are on sale this month at PA!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Ah, thanks.

Yeah, I just know that IncrediGirl will ensure that my hunting career will come to an abrupt end should I cause structural damage to our home...

Ooooooo! The 2-ton chain hoists are on sale this month at PA!
The longer the 4x4 and the more trusses the better for weight distribution.

Tell her "lefty" said it was ok and that'll smooth it all over.....

LC
Old 08-16-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Tell her "lefty" said it was ok and that'll smooth it all over.....

LC
Hahahaha! I sure will! Thanks!

...if you suddenly get a PM instructing you to "run and hide", I think you'll have a pretty good idea what just happened... And she's a fast runner...
Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Heh! Haven't built it yet... LOL

It's basically something like this:

The technique is like the one shown here.

...but I was going to connect the A-frame tops (the butts of the 4x4s) with heavy-duty hinges and rest a 4x4 or a pipe across the top.

The trick then is to stabilize it laterally... Playground frame brackets might work:

Mind you, this kind of bracket would probably work out really well for this application... Shipped from the US they would be roughly $170 for a set of 2.

About the pipe idea, there's always these kinds of things too, but they are kind of pricey (~$100 each):

I could build the $170 pair, for under $50.... if you had the steel, case of beer
if you know a welder, probably get it done for free...
Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 PM

i hang all my stuff off forkllift forks at work overnight lol. makes it easy peasy. Last season i did string up a rope off the celing of the garage though. a engine hoist from princess auto or something might work depending on how tall it goes. they are on wheels too. probably ok for deer, but probably not tall enough for elk/moose. the 2 ton one lifts 93 inches high.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I am in the same boat. I have a section that is 13 ft and the other half 9 ft. I want to be able to hang a full moose so it hAs to be high and strong. I use a chain block and tackle.
Pics would be good. How many joist do you cross? At the high point in my garage it is the "I" bean style. At the 9 ft it is regular roof style framing
your floor joist nor the roof trusses are engineered for hanging heavy loads from them. Ideally you should have added an egineered beam or had the trusses engineered to hang loads from them.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:05 PM

I use my kids swing set in the back yard, have been for years.

Former owner was a welder and built it. I honestly have had two moose on it hangin at once. Works like a hot damn!!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Banned

4x4 spaning multiple joists will work really good for supporting weight you could also sister the joists that the 4x4 spans from end to end that will support even more (sister them buy screwing another 2x4 to existing ones) you can even loop a heavy airline cable over and through insulation and drywall suspending your hoist for a real clean look.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:24 PM

Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
4x4 spaning multiple joists will work really good for supporting weight you could also sister the joists that the 4x4 spans from end to end that will support even more (sister them buy screwing another 2x4 to existing ones) you can even loop a heavy airline cable over and through insulation and drywall suspending your hoist for a real clean look.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 PM

Well this is how I do it. I have a piece of 3 1/2" X 3/8" wall pipe spanning the entire garage. It's suspended on pipe uprights of the same diameter bolted to the concrete floor and tied to the top of the wall. The garage wall is 10'. I have a piece of 1 1/2" X 1/2" angle welded on edge to make a rail for home machined trolleys. I have a 12 volt winch mounted on top. Winch up the deer on a gambrel, of course anchoring the hide to a ring in the floor first so you peel the hide off, put it on an "S" hook and roller and roll it to the other side. Wash rinse and repeat with the next one.

and after a day of hunting with my wife and 2 daughters. (My 15 yr old daughter got the big buck)
Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 PM

^^^^^^^

Nice set up!

LC
Old 08-16-2013, 10:52 PM

And so I don't get any more PM's look a little closer there's tags on all of them!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 PM

Default Garage system

109.jpg

115.jpg

This set-up works well, especially with the electric winch from Cantire...the whole thing(winch,lumber screws, hooks) ended up costing about $75 to put up...
Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 AM

we've hung a lot of game (mulies whitetail) on just plain old garage rafters for years , sometimes two bucks at a time , no issues .
Old 08-26-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^^

Nice set up!

LC
Indeed! That looks to be ideal.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM

Dad was able to get a meat rail(alum) with some hooks on rollers many years ago from a wrecked Reefer Van. Cut it to fit the width of his single garage, double upped the rafter and bolted it up with a 4x4 post on each end. We also use a 4x4 post cut to fit up under it in the middle when we hang game, just to help carry the weight. Before the meat rail came along it was always just to the open rafters.