Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Looking For bird hunting home

Hello All,

Looking for a home for a 7 year old spayed female GSPxEP. She is a well trained pointing dog. Can be used as a close working flusher also since has been trained to point and then allow the shooter to take up a shooting lane and then sent into flush. She breaks at kill and delivers to hand both from water and land. Does not back. Will take hand signals and do multiple blind retrieves both on water and land.

Is an attractive 75lb dog with black and white markings and a long tail. Gentle natured, good around kids and cats but hard on small dogs. Is a smart dog that learns quickly but is a good houdini.

Would be ideally suited to an older gent or new young hunter that wants a great companion and hunting partner. She doesn't range out very far, 100 yrds max, will go into the thick stuff when necessary but not by choice.

Cheers
Chris
Old 11-29-2007, 03:12 PM

Be a damn shame to have to part with a family friend at this (7 years) stage in life.
Hope you find her a good home, or what-ever made you need to part with her changes.
RyanGSP is the person that comes to mind at this time......
Old 11-29-2007, 03:16 PM

PM sent

There are no absolutes
Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 AM

Post some pictures and the lines of the GSP and EP side of her. I could probably find her a good home.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:32 AM

I had to give her up for my safety. I spend alot of time hunting waterfowl. I had her steady to kill from a canoe, but not when on dry ground. For six years everything is fine, then she decided to break on me and rolled the canoe in January. She did it two hunting trips in a row. Second time I got smacked in the face and it cost me a tooth. Won't take a third chance at loosing my life. Since I'm way too old to change and whatever got into her head may get into it again sometime in the future, even if I was to put the effort into reinforcing her training. As long as you don't shoot out of a canoe she is a great dog but like I said I'm not likely to give up my hunting style after 30 years of doing it this way.

To see a picture of her go to www.vancouverislandpointingdogclub.com. She is the black and white dog making the retieve on the live pigeon. Bird was unharmed and used for further training exercises that day.

If I ever get a scanner I could post more pictures but that will come some day in my progression of confusor skills. Don't know the lineages of the parents so can't help there but I did see both the parents and both were obviously pure breds.

Best retrieve I ever saw her make was when I was guiding for birds. One of the clients doubled on Canada geese. She broke and got the close one, 80yrds out and slightly alive. I stopped her at distance, got her to drop that bird and go for the second bird which was very much alive and several hundred yards out. Both birds were retrieved.That retrieve got me and her invited to Mexico to hunt pheasants with the clients...a truely awesome experience. Not many dogs will drop a bird at distance on command.

She handles travel well from vehicles, boats, and planes. Also good around horses and livestock....except chickens/fowl...she is a bird hunter. To her bang means bird and her whole attitude will change from play to all business.

Thanks for the interest guys.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the info will definatly help. Do you have a contact for where you bought her. Knowing the lines really helps me figure out her hunting style without actually seeing the dog.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:17 AM

I looked all over the site and I couldnt find the picture you are talking about. I seen a couple GSP's (White and liver, Solid Liver) and an EP (White and brown) but nothing like you described.

Did you ever meet Shirley and Sly Nelson at those training days?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:14 AM

Hey, you must be C B i only know one guy from port with an EP... how is paws? last time I saw you was when we went and released a few birds at wessex

still have my #?

cohod
Old 11-30-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
I looked all over the site and I couldnt find the picture you are talking about. I seen a couple GSP's (White and liver, Solid Liver) and an EP (White and brown) but nothing like you described.

Hi Ryan,
It looked to me to be the very first picture on the photo page. Sweet looking dog, good luck.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Hi Ryan,
I know shirley and sly. Meet them both through field trialing my EP.
The picture is there, keep looking. Only two photos of dogs retrieving and ones a brittany with a pheasant the other is Val with pigeon.

Cheers
Chris
Old 11-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info will definatly help. Do you have a contact for where you bought her. Knowing the lines really helps me figure out her hunting style without actually seeing the dog.
Her hunting style is a close working semi-pointing flusher. She is a plodder not a streak, doesn't have a zippy style.She is a thorough slow working hunter has more of the melow traits of the GSP than the high energy traits of the EP. Around here, in the west coast jungle, she is about a 100 yrd maximum dog but on the prairies she would probably stretch out abit and maybe go as far as 200yds. She likes to keep in visual contact with the handler.

Cheers
Chris
Old 11-30-2007, 07:43 PM

I see it now. Anyone who takes this dog I will help you train it to the desired level. Lets get this dog into a good home.