Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Rattling in Mule Deer

Cold this morning, -28 at my place. Fire Marshall told me so. Had him come over for permits to burn brush piles.
Anyway, about 15 minutes after I rattle out the back window, in comes a wee spiker. Then a fork horn, then a wee 3x3 ! And I'm looking out an open window with the binos at the silly bucks ! No fear !
But have work to do. So out I go to load the truck with fire stuff. Start one and these bucks are still hanging around, well under 100yds. After starting the second brush pile I'm headed back to the truck and spot one of the bucks up the lane way, between the house and the truck. Keep in mind this "playing" has been going on for a couple hours now. So I put my arms above my head, fingers spread. Take 2-4 steps swaying my arms a bit, stop, do so again, stop etc. Buck sees me finally. Rather than run, he starts doing the same as me, towards me
Got withing 60 feet of each other before he trots back towards the house. Laughing, I walk back to the truck. Turning around, the darn thing is following me
All this sarted at about 8(ish) AM and a couple of them are still in the bush line. They can be odd this time of year

I have a tag: draw only here though. Fun morning watching Deer so close all morning !
Old 11-28-2007, 01:23 PM

Wife took a few pictures. You can see my truck behind the Spruce tree in one picture. In the other one little guy is tuckered out & resting. And right now he is bedded down in the left bush line by the lane way. Drove by to check the fires and he will not move, even though he is within 25' of the truck !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nov 28 07.jpg (111.1 KB, 127 views)
Old 11-28-2007, 01:27 PM

Opps, missed one.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:35 PM

and again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 Nov 28 07.jpg (89.1 KB, 106 views)
Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 PM

Reeves, ya gotta pick up a bow and take a crack at 'em. Archery is a ton of fun.

Tree