Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Lost

Well we have one of us fellow hunters missing in the Sundre area. Well have you ever been lost? Maybe I have but I would say more disoriententated than lost. I always have a basic survival kit in my quad and well can't take all with me when I hunt but I always have lots of matches. Stories, tips?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
sheephunter

I've always said that as long as you don't care where you are going, you'll never be lost. With that attempt at humour, my heart and prayers go out for the lost hunter near Sundrie. It sounds like he was well prepared so hopefully it all works out. I always carry some fire starter, lighter, a flint, flashlight and knife. Worst case scenario, I can always get a fire going.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:48 PM

Well here's a tip that probably everyone knows anyhow. If your using GPS take a waypoint on your camp, quad or your starting point. And carry extra batteries in you shirt pocket. Always compass too. There was a post on here early (today) that was very good.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 PM

It's not so much the getting lost I'm worried about (though in the thick trees I've become disoriented many a times; a compass helps in those cases; I seem to have lost mine somewhere this season). It's becoming incapacitated in an exposed location, in bad weather. Damage an ankle, break a leg, in the middle of a big shale field, at 8000 feet, with a big wind howling. No way to get to shelter, no way to make a fire, and a loooong crawl or hobble from comfort. I always carry a windbreaker/rain suit, even on very nice days, just for that reason.

If I ever get lost, or hurt in the trees, look for that big roaring fire. I always carry firemaking stuff.

Frans
Old 11-28-2007, 01:51 PM

The only time I ever felt lost was many years ago out with my youngest son (maybe 4 or 5 at the time) to cut down a christmas tree. It had gotten dark and although I knew I wasn't more than a few hundred yards from my vehicle we had walked in circles so many times inspecting trees that I had NO idea which direction to go. For some strange reason I had come very prepared though so wasn't too worried. We had an ax, knife, some cord, some firestarter and matches and were both warmly dressed. I figured at worst we could always build a shelter, start a fire, and get through the night. Luckily I was able to retrace our tracks back in the moonlight. a freakin compass would have been invaluable, but I wasn't THAT prepared.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM

I go well equipped now. I know what bush panic is, been there, done that (when I was 17) and don't want to do it again. At that time I had no survival gear with me and wasn't dressed proper....dauuu.... Thank God it only lasted 5 or 6 hours. And that was all it took to scare some sense into me.
Today I carry it all and feel very confident I could spend a few comfortable nights in the bush. Along with the basic survival gear, I carry extra clothing, high cal-food and lights. I even carry a few small tarps and rope in the box on my quad for a wind break.
If one is prepared, you are more likely to keep a level head. If you determine you are definitely lost, stay put and get ready to hunker down for the night.

Here's a good deal for the beginner's and the price isn't too bad.
http://www.adventures.ca/gasnet/1341-4.htm
Old 11-28-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Hope the find him... soon!

Here's hoping they find the guy soon! His family must be worried sick!

I got lost in the jungle in Northern Sumatra once which was quite the adventure. I stepped of a jungle trail to take a quick shortcut and simply could not find it again; really thick bush. To cut a long story short, I knew there was a lake nearby, so just kept heading downhill; figuring gravity would pull the water that way, which was not easy especially when it started getting dark. They also have a number of animals out there that see us humans as prey; tigers for example. Eventually, I reached the edge of the lake, fairly scratched up and bruised. I then followed the edge of the lake around until I found a small village and spent the night there. I'm not sure if that is lost or not, I always had a plan. But I was pretty damn scared, I can tell you.

Limeyhunter.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 PM

Default So Sad

My heart near stopped when I read that. Was he ever lost? Not lost but late for good reason? No matter...it's over. Condolences to family.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Lost

Lost heck yeah. First time lost, hunting partridge with my grandfather (I was maybe 15). Got off the trail and never found it again. I didn't panic, the weather was nice (early Sep) and we were on an island lol. Big island though (St. Joseph's Island ON - 20 km X 10 km maybe) and it's a cottage/farming community....so you know if you walk far enough you'll either bump into a farm, cottage or end up at the water. So, what seemed like a couple hours later, I spy a farm in the distance, still had my wits about me, as I took the barrel off my shotgun before I knocked on the farmers door. I just wanted to know where I was so I could get home lol. Well, turned out I was almost at the opposite end of the island where my Grandpa's cottage was. I wasn't to happy with that but at least I knew where I was. Farmer wasn't offering me a lift, he appeared unhappy that I was on his property with a gun. No sense asking to use the phone 'cause there is no phone at the cottage. A few km's down the road my Grandpa scoops me up in his car. Of course he was more worried than I ever was...

Lesson learned..............always carry a compass I you aren't familiar with the area, use it before you leave the trail you are on. Now-a-days landmark your gps position before you leave the trail.

I'm like Frans says..............concerned with being incapacitated in an isolated location more than anything else. Feeling more vulnerable that way lately...
Old 11-28-2007, 05:41 PM

I stumbled on to this on another site. Might be worth considering by those of us who like to hit the lonely spots by ourselves. Certainly sounds cheaper than a satelite phone
www.findmespot.com
Grizz
Old 11-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Banned

Default any info on findmespot

Hey Griz, I saw an ad for those in the last Fieldand Stream and was intrigued. be interested if anyone has had any experience with these. I am often working out of cell range and you never know when you'll get stuck or break down.

Sorry for the hijack
Old 11-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Doc Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNix View Post
Hi Guys, Not sure were the short but we can give them a couple.

give them a couple short?? Umm.. me no comprendeh?!

Last edited by Doc Holiday; 11-28-2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: bad spanish...
Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 PM

I think he means
'not sure where they are short, but we can give them a couple'

meaning that if the government thinks we're short of grizzly bears in some areas, the Mountainaire Lodge can supply a few

Condolences to the family.