Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2016, 06:00 PM

Default Will meat spoil?

will meat spoil at 10 degrees celsious? I want to age some meat but garagr is running around 10C
Old 10-23-2016, 06:07 PM

Don't age it for long.....if it's wild game cut it up tomorrow!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:08 PM

I don't know I'd want to eat it. That's certainly warm enough for bacteria to go crazy, especially in game.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:24 PM

Cut your animal tomorrow. 10 is too hot.

I know it is not you, and at least you are asking, but the threads where guys talk about spoiled meat make my blood boil. They should be charged with meat wastage and have their licence suspended.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:25 PM

10 degrees C (50 F) is way too warm! You need 34-39 Fahrenheit to age properly without spoilage.

LC
Old 10-23-2016, 06:28 PM

Yeah id cut it sooner than later.
Maybe open a garage door for an hour or two before going to bed , then Closing it to fill the room with cooler air. But I wouldn't wait I'd just cut and wrap now.
A slightly tough animal is way better than spoiled meat.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:25 PM

Not to start an argument , but from my experience hanging meat in warmer temps is 5to 7 days tenderizes it. It gets slight sweet smell but tastes so good, have never thrown any meat out
Old 10-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropsbone View Post
Not to start an argument , but from my experience hanging meat in warmer temps is 5to 7 days tenderizes it. It gets slight sweet smell but tastes so good, have never thrown any meat out
Have to agree with Krop. As long as animal is dressed properly, or even better, split in half, it should be fine for a few days at 10 celsius. I'd also cover it with a sheet even though there are few insects still flying around.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:29 PM

Meat stored at 10 c will spoil 5 times faster than meat stored at 0c
Stick a thermometer in the meat, you will probably be surprised at the difference in temp compared to the air temp around it.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:34 PM

I have a feeling freezer in my garage that will hold a whole deer in warm temps.

8 hours won't freeze it solid but will get it nice and cool.
Then you can hang it until temps even out and cut it up.

I've yet to hang an animal for more that 2 days and I usually butcher it up the next day.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:34 PM

10C is too warm for storage, but according to multiple sources (Kamenik 2013, Growth of Bacteria and Spoilage of Meat by Chris B. Sentance) you should still be able to store a carcass at this temp for 2-3 days before spoilage occurs. Deviations from this time range may occur because there are several other factors at play in spoilage.

Importantly there is a group of mesophilic bacteria that cause spoilage and cannot grow below 5C, and in fact shelf life increases notably as temperatures sink to -1.5C. If you have the means you should be storing your carcass at the lower end of this range, but you can still have safe and delicious meat after a storing it for a couple days of fall weather.

As long as the animal has undergone rigor mortis it is ready to butcher, but as kropsbone mentions some flavor and texture changes will occur with further aging. Because venison is very lean and does not have the same fatty acids as beef it does not age in the same way. It is still possible to do so under proper conditions and some diners may prefer the results, but they will not be as drastic as a well conditioned side of beef.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:36 PM

Yea i ended up cutting it up and it was fine...no foul smell no signs of spoil either...infact i took my infrared thermometer and took a reading of the outside dry layer and it read 9.5C and the inside after it was cut up and sliced up read 6C...in then went ahead and cooked a piece of steak and it was soooooo tender....i just did not want to take a chance and have the ambient temperature go up and there goes my beloved meat...so its all cut up and vacuumed sealed and in the freezer
Old 10-23-2016, 08:39 PM

I have to add though that the outside layers of the quarters where cut out and discarded as it looked very dry and darker naturally than the inside...very tinyportion though naturally...I would have kept it the the gf have me a nasty look when insaid "want sausage meat"? Lol
Old 10-24-2016, 05:55 AM

Do as they did in the old days !

Get a hold of a old fridge and place it in the corner of the garage with your wild came and open the freezer door and box it in the corner with plywood or better yet a couple of sheets of insulation .
I know of a guy that built a cooler this way and it worked. Just don't know how he regulated the temp. Any thing is better than hot temp I guess.