Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 10:43 AM

Default Camp Wainright Upland

A couple of things

Is anyone hunting upland there this year.

And is there the same AM briefing that there would be during the big game hunt?

Is there a specific number to call.

Besides for hunting the dog and wanting to get out, my main motivation to go there is to scout for the MZ deer season.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 AM

Not to derail the thread, just wondering why so many guys get gung ho for camp wainwright? theres better hunting on the private land running along the river between hardisty and Irma anyways. I could drop three good names for you and you wouldn't be in the gong show that is camp wainwright.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:33 AM

The camp isn't what it used to be. I remember as a kid seeing all kind of game out there including some massive moose. More recently there has been quite a decline in population in there tho.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
A couple of things

Is anyone hunting upland there this year.

And is there the same AM briefing that there would be during the big game hunt?

Is there a specific number to call.

Besides for hunting the dog and wanting to get out, my main motivation to go there is to scout for the MZ deer season.
To specifically try and answer your post. I do believe they do the morning briefing for upland as well. Gunnin Griffon would know.

If you head south from Irma on the hwy to hardisty, and take the gravel road leading off the hwy where the old 'pastor farms & feed' sign used to sit just off the hwy, and head straight east from there till you get the army land border. youll find plenty of big deer and loads of upland. I believe that land is all leased now, as our family friends sold to a big hog op, but the guys from what I understand are pretty accomodating.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 PM

For the most part I was just blowing priorities, I had 999 the MZ season just for the excuse to use my muzzleloader. I have an elk tag there too, the draw code is usable for cypress hills as well but I have hunted there a couple of times and thought it would be fun to try something new.

If it's a dud then I won't put in again, but if I can find some escape routes then all the guys driving the roads and walking around should push something past the tent. That's the first rule of crowded hunting if there are lots of guys walking then the best thing to do is sit still.

And it's something to do while the other priorities spool up.